Clutch Help - S2000 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Top Always Down

Clutch Help

So I was driving the other day and my clutch pedal hit the floor and stayed there. I managed to limp it to a local brewery and had it towed home. Clutch master was empty and there was fluid leaking from where the piston goes in. Replaced the clutch master, bled the system and now the clutch feels like a brake pedal. Won't go to the floor and doesn't disengage the clutch. I got underneath and the throwout fork was at the fully depressed position, as if the clutch was fully depressed. I pulled the slave cylinder and pulled the fork out as far as I could and put the roller bearing back in the cradle and it looked like it was in the right position to disengage the clutch. I reinstalled the slave and had my wife push in the clutch. The first pump went to the floor and I saw that the fork got pushed about 1/2 way and stayed there. She pumped again and the fork bottomed out and the pedal was again like a brake pedal.
Any ideas?
Dr. Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Sounds like the throwout bearing is not moving properly on the nose shaft of the transmission. Was the clutch making noises or feel rough before this happened?
kgf3076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Top Always Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Sounds like the throwout bearing is not moving properly on the nose shaft of the transmission. Was the clutch making noises or feel rough before this happened?
Nope. Just foot to the floor and that's where the pedal stayed.
Dr. Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Could be that the collar on the throwout bearing is worn and tilted. You push the pedal and the bearing releases the clutch and then hangs and doesn't return. I had this happen to me once. Most disconcerting. Can you have someone push the clutch pedal while you listen closely to the fork and bearing work? I'd say do it with the engine running and off. You may hear a grinding when the bearing tries to return to the engaged position. From the sound of it from your first post, the bearing got pushed to just beyond end of travel. One way or the other you're going to have to pull the transmission, either the clutch (not the plate, the assembly) is distorted or the throwout bearing is bad. Number 3 on the drawing (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...atcgry5=CLUTCH)

Last edited by kgf3076; 01-03-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Got S2000?

So we're ruling out any problems with the slave here? That was my first thought, but it's been years since I pulled mine off for a cleaning....I didn't want to comment on something I couldn't speak well about.

Doc, how many miles are on your car now? I assume any trans removal at these ages would include a "why not do it now" clutch replacement?
Jim21680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #6
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

The master cylinder being empty of hydraulic fluid is one clue that the clutch could be bad. The piston on the slave cylinder traveled beyond it's normal range of travel. The hydraulic fluid is pushed from the master cylinder and leaks around the piston in the slave. Jim, was there hydraulic fluid around the slave cylinder?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #7

My clutch issues were solved.....finally

I had replaced both master and slave cylinder as my car which had symptoms of being very difficult to shift. Unfortunately, that wasn't the issue. It turns out one of the coil springs in the friction disc came out. The prior owner had opted for an aftermarket one. I replaced with all OEM parts, except went with ACT pressure plate for a little more grab. My car shifts flawlessly now.
REVTO8K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:49 AM   #8
Never Slow down

Was there any damage to the flywheel? I assume you did the disc, plate and TO bearing.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Time and time again OEM parts trump any aftermarket stuff.
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Was there any damage to the flywheel? I assume you did the disc, plate and TO bearing.
Fortunately, the was no damage to the flywheel. The tech recommend all OEM, especially when it comes to the friction disc and bearings. The ACT pressure plate feels almost like stock, but has more grab which I prefer.

Last edited by REVTO8K; 08-13-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
REVTO8K is offline   Reply With Quote