Where did the engine oil go?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:13 AM

Where did the engine oil go?

Hello all, I have read up that some S2000 burns a little oil over a period of time that is normal. Is it a trait that develops as the car mileage goes up or you get it from the start?

I am asking because since buying my '03 a couple years ago, it didn't burn any oil until recently after an hour or so (~60 miles) of backroad spirited driving with lots of VTEC engaging. Not an insignificant amount either. Like I would start out with two "x" above the L mark before the drive and end up at the L mark the next day I check, causing me to pour about 300 ml of oil to fill it back to normal. My car only has about 50k miles on the odo.

I've checked my PCV valve and it was still good. There is no blue smoke nor excessive soot in the exhaust when driving. So what happened to all that oil? Does VTEC really consume that much oil in one run?

Hope you guys can enlighten me on this matter. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 AM
normal aspiration

all cars use some oil, some more than others. my toyotas seem to use zero oil. bb uses a little. when checking the S2000 oil, always make sure to wipe the stick and re-insert it for a good reading. a reading after withdrawing the dipstick from the oil pan without a wipe and re-insert can give a false reading as the oil will wick up the cross hatches (the "x"). it is unlikely that 60 miles of vtec would drop the oil level 2 x marks but i'm not going to say that it couldn't happen. you are ok if your oil level did not drop below the L mark on the stick. oil is meant to be consumed in some amount. be glad that you are using a little oil and not a little metal. do give the oil a check regularly. once a day is not too often.

300 ml is only about 10 oz. so maybe you were not as low as you thought. the difference between the L and the F is about a quart, 32 oz. or about 946 ml.

and remember: oil is cheap.

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 06-10-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: calculating the metric system
Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to go back to checking my oil more frequently then; I sorta stopped after seeing I wasn't losing any oil. The main thing I wanted to know is if it is normal for the S2k to start consuming oil if it haven't in the past. The threads I found seem to imply that others consume from the start... or they don't.

My oil level was touching the actual L mark (no lights on dash); took actually about half a quart to fill up to two "X" marks. How low does the oil level have to be until real damage is done?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 PM

change my oil every 5000 miles on my AP2 and barely check oil level. I heard AP1 needs to be checked more frequent than AP2 but not sure why.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:15 AM
normal aspiration

tl;dr

oil consumption for an internal combustion engine can be a variable thing. i remember reading that people were experiencing an increase in consumption when changing from mineral oil to synthetic, especially with Mobil 1. i now use Mobil 1 and use a bit of oil, but it seems that my usage only starts after about 3000 miles into the oil change--the last 2000 miles is where i notice a drop on the stick. i try to change around 5000 miles. i don't remember what my mineral oil usage was, but i was changing every 3000 then.

now for the idiot light on the dash. if it comes on, your oil pressure is way too low. the idiot light in no way reflects how much oil is in your engine. if the light comes on you have suffered a dangerously low oil pressure situation. the only way to determine if you have enough oil is to check the dipstick.

the difference on the dipstick between the L and the F is supposed to represent a quart of oil. you should always make sure that if you are not topped off to F that your oil measurement falls somewhere in between. too much oil in the crankcase can cause too much oil pressure and can cause foaming and that can cause oil starvation and blown seals--a little over is ok but i would not overfill by a quart. on the other hand you can probably get by if the oil is a little below the L. I would not risk it though. L should be your absolute minimum. as i said in an earlier post, "oil is cheap." try to keep it up to F. if not at F, then certainly between F and L.

when is it so low that real damage is done? probably a good bit below L, but don't do it. a quart low (down to the L mark) will not hurt the engine but you are skating on thin ice at that point. don't do it. oil is cheap compared to what it costs to fix a failure. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Wally World is $25 as opposed to thousands to repair a blown engine.

check your oil. how long does it take? a minute? once a day is not too often. check it at least once a week. don't put it out of your mind. fresh oil and a proper oil level are the most basic things that you can do for your car. do not neglect your little jewel.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM

lol. that's good writing.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I would add only that because of the engine slant in the S is to check BOTH sides of the dipstick. I have heard of some folks having oil on one side and have it dry on the other.

I have 42K miles on my 09 and use Mobil1. I change every 3K miles. I cannot discern any loss of oil whatsoever on my dipstick.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 PM

Thanks BB, I guess I can rest a little better right now. Maybe I should try changing to a different brand of oil next time to see if it helps any.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by S-nisen View Post
Thanks BB, I guess I can rest a little better right now. Maybe I should try changing to a different brand of oil next time to see if it helps any.
all you need is 10W30 that meets the S2000 specification. doesn't matter what kind. lots of people like Mobil 1 these days. just check it, change it regularly, and keep enough in the crankcase and your little car will be happy.

bb
Old 06-13-2014, 08:48 AM

some people have mentioned that our engine burns more oil while using mobil 1. is that true?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by s2000vtecvtec View Post
some people have mentioned that our engine burns more oil while using mobil 1. is that true?
Some do, some don't. I use it and it does not go down one itsy teenie weeny bit.
Use 0w-30 instead of 10w-30 to reduce wear on start up.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:36 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by s2000vtecvtec View Post
some say it do, some say it don't. i jus' couldn't say. i use Mobil 1. i use a little oil. it's not too much. i don't sweat it.