Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain
Bog on first gear >

Bog on first gear

Bog on first gear

Old 06-07-2014, 09:23 PM

Bog on first gear

I have a 2005 AP2 with 90,000 miles and occasionally it seems to be bog in the beginning of first gear. It's almost seems like I have it in way too high of a gear, with low power and slow acceleration, and it's always at the beginning of the gear shift. It only ever happens in first gear, from 0-10 or so MPH.

Has anyone run into a similar issue or can offer any guesses as to what the problem is?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 AM
normal aspiration

the S2000 doesn't like low rpm. it idles at 1000. make sure that you are giving it enough throttle as you are engaging the clutch. 2000 rpm is probably fine. i am assuming that you know how to drive and that this is not the problem. i cannot give a guess to what mechanical issues could cause this. maybe a more mechanical minded driver will be able to give you a straight answer.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM

I have an '07 and have experienced the same thing. It happens only in first, when I am rolling slowly and then step on the throttle. The first time I was a bit alarmed. Pulling out of a parallel parking space, onto a fairly busy road. Still occurs occasionally, nothing consistent though. At first I thought it may be fuel, but as mentioned above, I think it is low rpm before the push.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:39 AM
EYECELLEM

A momentay hesitation could be the cdv (clutch delay valve) on AP2's. It's there to preserve your diff.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:29 PM
normal aspiration

i don't know where sl3xx is located but the temperatures here have been in the low 90s already. heat bog is real and you will think all kinds of things are wrong or that the car is performing poorly while driving in high temps. normal.

low rpm and heat bog, alone or together, will make you feel bogged. keep the rpm up; it makes the car more powerful and it is how it is built to be run.

probably not the cdv. if the engine is turning enough rpm to engage the cdv that motor can't be bogging.

the best part of 1st gear (or any of them) is 5000 rpm and above. anything less is kind of dull--it will not push you back in your seat, and you might get that bogging feeling if you go WOT at too low an rpm.

it could be a mechanical issue.

then there is this--

https://www.s2000.com/forums/engine-...ottle-tip.html
Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Computer Blue

90k? Has it had a valve adjustment? It might be worth doing if it hasn't had one. I've heard people claim it made a world of difference with how it ran at low speed and low rpms.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:24 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
A momentay hesitation could be the cdv (clutch delay valve) on AP2's. It's there to preserve your diff.
You'd have to be at pretty high revs and dumping the clutch before the CDV cuts in. Now if they are starting off at 8k, that might be a problem. However, there might be a simpler answer. How hot was it on the day you first noticed this problem? Have you replaced the airbox with a CAI? Would it happen to be an AEM? Is the engine completely stock?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by S2KCRick View Post
90k? Has it had a valve adjustment? It might be worth doing if it hasn't had one. I've heard people claim it made a world of difference with how it ran at low speed and low rpms.

don't know if this will solve the problem but do check the valves. my exhaust valves were tight, tight, tight. 100,000 is way too long for a valve adjustment.

when someone presents a problem like this i try to recreate it while i am out driving. i am still trying to get bb to bog at 0-10 mph.

i still say keep the rpm up. the car really doesn't like anything less than 3000.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 PM

I get regular maintenance on the vehicle from Honda. About 1200 miles ago I got the big 90,000 service including new rear axles and fixing my timing chain tensioner. It's been my daily driver for 5+ years in NJ and I am familiar with heat soak, as well as random noises and quirks of the s2000. I am also familiar with the "almost stall" shaking feeling if you're in first gear with super low RPMs. This ins't something i've dealt with before, although it's a similar feeling but happening at higher RPMs than the "almost stall". It happens in all weather/temperatures so I don't think it's heat soak related.

The problem has been happening slightly more often (once or twice every 20 minutes of surburban driving, ex: stop signs, red lights), but now I also notice it happen in second and sometimes third. I'll be bringing it in to Honda soon, there was a family emergency that prevented me from doing so. It happened the other day pulling away from a traffic light on a steep hill. The check engine light flashed once. I pushed in the clutch, and gave it more gas before going back into first. It then drove normal

It seems to not happen at all when I enter the gear with higher RPMs. It's only times that I start the gear at low RPMs (read: under 3500ish RPMs). The odd thing is stomping on the gas doesn't really help much while it's happening.

It helps to come to a forum like this first so I am better equipped when I speak to them.

Last edited by sl3xx; 06-15-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Bug Zapper

I experienced something similar in my AP2. I never figured out what it was though, just adjusted my driving style to avoid it. It was annoying though.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 PM

Have u fix ur s2000 problem yet!???

Originally Posted by sl3xx View Post
I have a 2005 AP2 with 90,000 miles and occasionally it seems to be bog in the beginning of first gear. It's almost seems like I have it in way too high of a gear, with low power and slow acceleration, and it's always at the beginning of the gear shift. It only ever happens in first gear, from 0-10 or so MPH.

Has anyone run into a similar issue or can offer any guesses as to what the problem is?
Mine itís doing the same thing donít want to go in first gear unless I keep trying .. if I keep try it will go but it takes for ever tho
Old 12-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Never Slow down

There was a map sensor TSB with regards to hesitation.