s2000 wont start intermittently

Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM

s2000 wont start intermittently

Hi this is my first post. I am having a problem with my car starting. It is intermittent and only occurs on the first start of the day. The engine cranks but will not turn over and start. Once this occurs I am not able to start it for the rest of the day, but when I try to start it the next day it starts up. The battery has been replaced and the starter and alternator have been tested and appear to be fine. There is a check engine light on for the secondary air pump, however this came on a little over a week after the problem started. I have taken it to a third party and they believe it is the fuel pump that is the problem but are not sure. I took out to Honda and they think it is the secondary air pump. It is $650 to put in a new fuel pump and $1500 for the air pump. Don't think it is the air pump as others have actually taken it out and put a simulator in. Seems not vital for starting or engine function. The car is stock except I replaced the air filter with a k&n. Need some help as I fear I will drop the money and the issue won't be fixed. It is a 2004. Let me know if I need to provide any additional information. Pretty new to this so wanted to hear what y'all think might cause this. The fact that it is intermittent is curious to me. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Party Rock Crew

I think you need to first determine what the real problem is...unfortunately most "garages" will just replace what their computer tells them to replace, and in many cases this is not the issue and it just leads to more things being replaced and a larger chunk of your wallet missing.
$650 to replace a fuel pump??? I am in the wrong business! You can get an OE pump brand new for about $300 or you could get an aftermarket brand...Walbro or Aero for about half that. Now the replacement is a bit tricky, but with some patience you could do that yourself in a few hours.
As far as the air pump goes, you could find a zillion of them for sale on s2ki.com from someone who has eliminated that system from their car, just post a WTB thread in the proper section. Again, not a very difficult procedure. So for the price of the dealer replacing just the pump, you could do both and have money left over to buy the beers for you and your buddy who helps you.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 PM

If it doesn't even sputter on cranking my gut would tell me it's spark or fuel. You can check spark by pulling a coil pack and its plug then ground the spark plug with it in the coil and get a buddy to crank the engine to see if it's sparking. If you have spark put it back together and check fuel. It's not the safest test, but you can loosen the banjo bolt that attaches the fuel line to the fuel rail. If you "key on" and fuel doesn't spray everywhere you'll know the fuel pump is bad. Make sure you check the spark before you check the fuel though!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:08 AM

It could also be your IAC (idle air control) isn't opening. Next time it wont start press and hold the accelerator open about 1/4 way.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 PM

So the fuel pump was replaced and I am still having the issue. Leaning toward the spark issue now. If not getting spark what would likely be the cause and what would be the first thing I should look to replace? Coils, spark plugs?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Party Rock Crew

Do what Tuna said about checking spark.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM

600 is not bad for the fuel pump replacement, im a mechanic my self and depending on a labor rate it could easily add up to that, that being said its not an easy job either. Now since their diagnosis was incorrect they need to at least cut you a deal on that and figure out whats wrong with your car. Something tells me that your immobilizer might be the issue, see if you have the little green key on your dash when you are having the problem, it might just be that your key is not being recognized by the ecu and you may just need a new key made and programmed. Since it happens first thing in the morning you are going to have to leave your car over night so they can experience it for themselves otherwise its pointless to plug in a scan tool and look for nothing.