hydrolock

Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Kitty Malice

hydrolock

Just the other day I was driving home from work and all of a sudden it starts to pour down rain. The streets were flooded so I could not help but to drive through it all. My car started to smoke and it ended up stalling so I had no choice but to pull in somewhere. Im guessing I hydrolocked it. I took off my CAI and looked inside my throttle body and sure enough it was full of water. I took out my plugs and coils as well as the fuel pump fuse and tried cranking my car to let out the water but all i heard was the starter click. The car would nit crank. All the lights were working so it couldn't have been the battery could it? And all my fuses are good. Why is my car just clicking when it should be cranking? Has my starter shorted out? I really need help in figuring this out asap. Im in fear of the water in my engine will begin to rust everything.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

If you have water in your engine, you have larger concerns than "will begin to rust everything". First step is to attempt to drain the crankcase and determine if there is any water in the oil. If the car did hydrolock, you have water in the cylinders and water is a lousy lubricant. No lubrication means engine seizure. Engine seizure means the engine won't turn over therefore, the starter clicks rather than makes the flywheel move. How long did you drive the car after attempting to ford those flooded streets? Why did you have that snorkel without having a water by-pass valve installed in it? I hate to tell you but you may find that you are suddenly in the market for a replacement engine.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
THE STIG

And you also can't compress liquid.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 PM

The car won't crank because the engine is seized. What usually happens with hydrolock is water gets into the cylinders and of course water doesn't compress too well so the cylinder is trying to move up but can't and you end up bending a rod since the piston can't fully move up locking your engine hence hydrolock.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 AM

Ill buy that block........just saying
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM
'06 S2k

Take the plugs out and try to turn it over. If the starter will not turn it over with the plugs out you can put it in gear and push the car to turn it over. If it won't move you've got big problems.

ROD
Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by rrounds View Post
Take the plugs out and try to turn it over. If the starter will not turn it over with the plugs out you can put it in gear and push the car to turn it over. If it won't move you've got big problems.

ROD
Do NOT do that... You can cause far more problems if you do. if a rod is already bent and it does manage to start can you imagine the damage it could do? My dad recommended I push start the car when my engine seized and I did, there were nasty noises and I messed up all 4 cyl instead of the one that was damaged.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM
'06 S2k

Originally Posted by JDMricist View Post
Do NOT do that... You can cause far more problems if you do. if a rod is already bent and it does manage to start can you imagine the damage it could do? My dad recommended I push start the car when my engine seized and I did, there were nasty noises and I messed up all 4 cyl instead of the one that was damaged.
Please tell me how a car starts with the spark plugs OUT of the car.

ROD
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM

My bad, thought you were telling him to try to start it if it didn't turn over with the plugs out.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 AM

I work on boat engines and see hyrolocked engines all the time, and I can tell you it's not necassarily the end of the world as long as you weren't out beating on it at wide open when it happened. If you can get a socket on the crank pulley bolt, with the plugs out try to roll it over. If you can roll it all the way over by hand you're in good shape. When you try to start it and here clicking its usually a sign of low cranking amps in the battery so get a known good battery and try again. Pouring some sort of oil down the plug holes is needed too to keep the rings from seizing to the walls in case it sits up for several days, the sooner the better. Even with water mixed with oil there should be enough film on all your bearing to prevent the air from rusting them and I get from your original post you didn't go drag racing afterwards so your bearing should not have galded, but getting clean oil pumped through is important! Good luck!

Last edited by tuna79; 08-18-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Kitty Malice

Yeah guys. I definitely am in the market for a replacement engine. I jacked up my S and peeked under and sure enough there was a huge *** hole the size of my fist on the engines bottom. You can see the crankshaft and a piece of a rod wedged in between it. Very unfortunate and this is my only car. :/

Name:  20130816_185725.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  20130816_185703.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  20130816_185621.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM

mandajane92 -

OMG! That's your worst nightmare come true! Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm hoping you have the funds to put your S back together again.
Thanks for the pictures as they serve as a grim reminder to the rest of us as to what can happen if we are not careful.
Best of luck getting your S back on the road again soon!

S2000 Bob
Old 08-20-2013, 05:51 AM

Dammm...That sure is fugly...Sry for noob observation, but you can get that kind of damage from driving thru water?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 AM
THE STIG

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it fixed up soon.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Was this caused by a low mounted cold air intake and would a car with a stock air cleaner/intake have a similar problem?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM
bilmilharley

bilmil

sorry for your loss of engine. you will find another. keep the car. what about insurance.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Kitty Malice

Originally Posted by S2000 Bob View Post
mandajane92 -

OMG! That's your worst nightmare come true! Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm hoping you have the funds to put your S back together again.
Thanks for the pictures as they serve as a grim reminder to the rest of us as to what can happen if we are not careful.
Best of luck getting your S back on the road again soon!

S2000 Bob
I hope so. Unfortunately I cant find a used motor at a decent price. Ive tried junk yards and everything.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Kitty Malice

Originally Posted by agski View Post
Was this caused by a low mounted cold air intake and would a car with a stock air cleaner/intake have a similar problem?
I dont think stock would have a problem since it sits high. But yes I had an aftermarket cold air intake and that was the cause of this while incident
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Kitty Malice

Originally Posted by bilmilharley View Post
sorry for your loss of engine. you will find another. keep the car. what about insurance.
Im hoping so. And insurance can not help me.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by mandajane92 View Post
Im hoping so. And insurance can not help me.
Why won't insurance help? You were driving along and "hit" water. You could hit a tree too.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by mandajane92 View Post
I hope so. Unfortunately I cant find a used motor at a decent price. Ive tried junk yards and everything.
I checked a couple weeks ago for F22C1 engines at our local Honda dealer after Billman said he picked up the last of the F20s.

Complete block is over 4K but the dealer would take it to $3700. I don't recall what the head assembly was but I think it around 3.

Not cheap but you would have a new engine.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by agski View Post
If the water is high enough to have enough water sucked into the intake to cause hydrolock, you have worse problems to contend with. Becase of the design, the snorkel was pulling in water and not air.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Kitty Malice

Originally Posted by Vtec_S2K View Post
Ill buy that block........just saying

Yeah? How much would you take it for? Cylinder head is perfectly fine. Engine only has 64k miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.