Clutch Replacement?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM

Clutch Replacement?

So I had an issue with my clutch going completely limp and so I bled the lines and removed the air that was in the lines and the clutch was good as new. This was the second time it happened in ~6 months so I took it to my mechanic to check for leaks or issues. He found a leak in the slave cylinder, This is the original clutch on a 2001 with 148xxx miles. From my reading on this forum and others that is an outrageously long life for a stock clutch. Obviously, I going to at least replace the leaking slave cylinder but my thought is should I just take this importunity to replace the entire clutch system. I know the cost of parts for those two things are very different, with just some very general and little googleing I found slave replacement ~$130 and ~$700-1000 for a full "performance" clutch. Have done some light research and I like the Science of Speed clutch and I see you guys talking about it often. I use the car mainly as a daily driver with maybe 3 track days a year. I was looking at stage 2 clutches at the most. Are there other "performance" clutches I should look at? And should I even replace the clutch at this time or just wait for it to actually go out? Any insight or help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM

I know the cost of parts for those two things are very different, with just some very general and little googleing I found slave replacement ~$130 and ~$700-1000 for a full "performance" clutch. Have done some light research and I like the Science of Speed clutch and I see you guys talking about it often. I use the car mainly as a daily driver with maybe 3 track days a year. I was looking at stage 2 clutches at the most. Are there other "performance" clutches I should look at? And should I even replace the clutch at this time or just wait for it to actually go out?
Looks like you've done your homework. Unless you are really low on cash there's no reason why you shouldn't just replace everything now cause 148k miles is a ton of miles for stock clutch. My best advice is to not cheap out on the clutch and make sure you get an OEM throw out bearing or it's going to by a buzzing SOB..

Science Of Speed make great clutches. Wish I would have saved up the extra $$$ for it instead of the competition stage 2 I got..
Old 05-31-2013, 06:03 AM
normal aspiration

if you wait for it to go out, who knows where you will be? 148k is a lot of clutch miles. slave will have to be replaced. maybe the master. the clutch and the hydraulics are two different animals. OEM is not a bad clutch--think 148,000 miles. i like the way you think. get the best that you can afford. don't get a flywheel that is too light or a clutch that is too tight.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 AM

Awesome, thanks guys. I was leaning towards full replacement. I see that Science of Speed has two different flywheels an 8.5lbs and an 11.5lbs. The prices are only $20 apart. So, is the 8.5lbs to light? I have heard the same advice from others and honestly transmissions are not my strong suit as far as my car knowledge goes. Are their other brands that are good for the S as far as bang for your buck?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 PM
normal aspiration

like anything in life, flywheel weight offers choices, with consequences good and bad. i suggest you search or google (or use your own personal favorite search engine) to discover the good, the bad, and the ugly. honda made your car to do what it does. you may be able to improve on it. or you may not. good luck.

too light sucks in traffic but performs well at high rpm. there's a starter for ya.

best,

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 05-31-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: shaving my fly...wheel!