Hitting 300 hp help

Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
slows2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Exclamation Hitting 300 hp help

Hello s2k owners

I am new in this forum, and i joined since you guys have helped many (including myself).I have owned my 2001 s2000 for about 3 months and the only "mod" is k&N Intake and Nvidia dual exhaust.

My dream goal so far is to hit 300 hp, I have some dc headers on the way. besides these simple mods what else do i need to hit my goal? i know that going turbo can really help but i wanna try to get the most out of the engine itself then go turbo. my s2k has 38k miles in it i am current in a 8k budget but i can probably stretch it more since i work and i dnt have a family to support. i really appreciate your answers and time, i am very happy to join this forum.

Thank you
slows2k is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
  #2  
EYECELLEM
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 3,791
Welcome to S2k.com. There's a lot of good info here, search is your friend. Ok, having said that, here's a little tidbit of info....there isn't much power to be found without going fi. Honda already did the work for you with this engine. 120hp/liter was the tops for a while on a na engine until Ferrari stayed up late at night for some extra engine work. Intake, exhaust, headers, probably 10 hp at the most. If you have 8k to spend, spend it wisely.
Glenn1 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM
  #3  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
'Wanna gett'da mos' oud'a somedin'?
Learn'da make'da mos' oud'a whu'cha got.
Stewie'z more capable'n mos' driverz'n hazz'a whole lott'ta offa'da driva'datt takez'da time'da learn how'da drive'er.
Why season'a meal'a'cha ain't even tasted?
A driver'z school'd be'da way'da go.
Yeah.
Itt cos' hard-earned.
Butt, nodd'z much'z'da "moddz" yer lookin'a gett'n . . da nices' part?
Whu'cha learn'll transfer (wit'da driva) from car'da car.

Boddum line?
You doan want 300hp.
You wanna learn'da use'da 240 da'cha gott.
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
slows2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
Welcome to S2k.com. There's a lot of good info here, search is your friend. Ok, having said that, here's a little tidbit of info....there isn't much power to be found without going fi. Honda already did the work for you with this engine. 120hp/liter was the tops for a while on a na engine until Ferrari stayed up late at night for some extra engine work. Intake, exhaust, headers, probably 10 hp at the most. If you have 8k to spend, spend it wisely.
thank you for that info. and sounds good i will be looking forward for going turbo thank you very much
slows2k is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
slows2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
'Wanna gett'da mos' oud'a somedin'?
Learn'da make'da mos' oud'a whu'cha got.
Stewie'z more capable'n mos' driverz'n hazz'a whole lott'ta offa'da driva'datt takez'da time'da learn how'da drive'er.
Why season'a meal'a'cha ain't even tasted?
A driver'z school'd be'da way'da go.
Yeah.
Itt cos' hard-earned.
Butt, nodd'z much'z'da "moddz" yer lookin'a gett'n . . da nices' part?
Whu'cha learn'll transfer (wit'da driva) from car'da car.

Boddum line?
You doan want 300hp.
You wanna learn'da use'da 240 da'cha gott.
thank you for ur response, i see what you mean. i will try to learn more bout what i have before tring to push more .. i guess its just the fact that it feels nice having a fast car on the streets
slows2k is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM
  #6  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
'Glad'juh weren't put off by whu'cha prob'ly din'wanna hear slow, budd'itt'z'da truth.
Stewie'z godd'a whole lott'ta offa. Too many neva take'da time'da realize jus' how capable'a ride dey have'n right ouda'da gate start "improvin"itt.
'S'nott'ta say'datt afda'yuh gedd'a handle onn'itt'n'yuh learn'da make use'a mos'a whut Stewie'z gott'ta offa . . maybe'yuh will wanna change stuff.
But my money'z onn'a'cher gonna be so giggly happy wit' whut our li'l frien'z gott'ta offa . . stock'll wind up bein' fine.
'Good luck widd'er howeva'yuh chooze'da go.
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
slows2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
'Glad'juh weren't put off by whu'cha prob'ly din'wanna hear slow, budd'itt'z'da truth.
Stewie'z godd'a whole lott'ta offa. Too many neva take'da time'da realize jus' how capable'a ride dey have'n right ouda'da gate start "improvin"itt.
'S'nott'ta say'datt afda'yuh gedd'a handle onn'itt'n'yuh learn'da make use'a mos'a whut Stewie'z gott'ta offa . . maybe'yuh will wanna change stuff.
But my money'z onn'a'cher gonna be so giggly happy wit' whut our li'l frien'z gott'ta offa . . stock'll wind up bein' fine.
'Good luck widd'er howeva'yuh chooze'da go.
yeah i understand thank for the advice i will try to see what is the power with these mods i will just try to chip it and see how well i can do i know that stock its not that bad since i was able to do some runs and saw what this baby can do maybe thats why i wanted more haha but thanks for the advice ill see the results w the tuning and everything
slows2k is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 AM
  #8  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
Slow, 'jus' wanna be clear'datt my poin'a view izz not shared by many.
Quite frankly, I dink'datt'da guyz wit'da opposin' doughts on'da whole moddin'/not moddin' argument mus' be asleep'r somedin'.
'Dought datt dey would'a chimed in by now.

Gedd'z much info'z'yuh can. Weigh itt. 'N'en play'yer han'z bes'yuh can.
'Not too many arenas left where we can call our own shots and glory in, or suffa'da consequencez.
I say again: good luck.
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 AM
  #9  
Blue Barchetta
 
FuzzyRuttin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
120hp/liter was the tops for a while on a na engine until Ferrari stayed up late at night for some extra engine work. Intake, exhaust, headers, probably 10 hp at the most.
Ok so I have to ask, this has been on my mind for quite some time... how do you explain a CBR600 making well over 100hp? Is the power-to-liter ratio not linear? Or is it a reliability tradeoff? Bigger engines can't rev as fast? Compression ratio of CBR600 is 12.x vs the S's 11.x, is that a contributing factor?
FuzzyRuttin is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 AM
  #10  
THE STIG
 
Switchblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NAZARETH, PA
Posts: 8,324
What Glenn said is spot on. Are you looking for 300 at the crank or wheels? Either way, FI is the way to go.
Switchblade is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM
  #11  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
Whudd'a goof!
Idd'already izz fuel-injected 'blade.
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 AM
  #12  
Bug Zapper
 
Marioshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,109
Originally Posted by FuzzyRuttin View Post
Ok so I have to ask, this has been on my mind for quite some time... how do you explain a CBR600 making well over 100hp? Is the power-to-liter ratio not linear? Or is it a reliability tradeoff? Bigger engines can't rev as fast? Compression ratio of CBR600 is 12.x vs the S's 11.x, is that a contributing factor?
CBR600 rev to 13000 rpm that's how. Horsepower = Torque X RPM / 5252

While it is possible to make a 2 liter rev higher I think you would sacrifice drivability and reliability for very little gain.

The 3 liter v8 Ariel atom 500 engine revs to 10500 rpm and makes 167hp per liter.

Last edited by Marioshi; 05-06-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Marioshi is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
  #13  
THE STIG
 
Switchblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NAZARETH, PA
Posts: 8,324
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Whudd'a goof!
Idd'already izz fuel-injected 'blade.

No JJ, I know the S doesn't have one of these ancient devices in it:

Switchblade is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM
  #14  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
'Wuzz'a time when'att ancient device wuzz king 'blade.
('N'da king din'take kinely'da usurpaz.)
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 PM
  #15  
Blue Barchetta
 
FuzzyRuttin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
CBR600 rev to 13000 rpm that's how. Horsepower = Torque X RPM / 5252

While it is possible to make a 2 liter rev higher I think you would sacrifice drivability and reliability for very little gain.

The 3 liter v8 Ariel atom 500 engine revs to 10500 rpm and makes 167hp per liter.
So it's all about rpm vs reliability, of course. I just had to hear someone else say it... er, I should've been smart enough to figure it out
FuzzyRuttin is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM
  #16  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
Two woidz: Double 'Busa.
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
slows2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
What Glenn said is spot on. Are you looking for 300 at the crank or wheels? Either way, FI is the way to go.
thank you for your response first of all.. and im looking to the wheels i just want to know if it is some what easy to archive

thanks
slows2k is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
JDMricist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Antone, TX
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Boddum line?
You doan want 300hp.
You wanna learn'da use'da 240 da'cha gott.
Best advice one can give.
But 8k should get you a sweet turbo setup man. FI is what I would do if I had 8k laying around..
JDMricist is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 AM
  #19  
Blue Barchetta
 
FuzzyRuttin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Two woidz: Double 'Busa.
Well then it wouldn't be a 4-banger anymore, but rather a 2.6 liter (inline?) eight. And to confirm Marioshi, the redline I think is 10k; the specs indicate (B)HP:liter = ~120, so about the same as the S.
FuzzyRuttin is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM
  #20  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
If four's good, then eight must be better - that's the idea behind this jewel-like V8 engine built by Hartley Enterprises from two Suzuki Hayabusa four-cylinder powerplants.

The 75-degree V8 displaces 2.8 liters, weighs only 200 lb and puts out 400 hp at a window-rattling 10,000 rpm. Torque peaks at respectable 245 ft-lbs (at 7500 rpm!), although dyno runs for a 2.6 liter version show a fairly flat curve. Aside from boring out the 'busa block from 81mm to 83mm, none of the wide variety of performance enhancements available for the bike version have been applied to the HE V8, so it's safe to say we're nowhere near the performance limits of the design.
Hartley's diminutive V8 is produced to order, with the 2.8 liter version priced under $30,000, depending on options. Check out the Hartley Enterprises website for more details, including video of a dyno run with the engine installed in a Caterham 7.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0...8l-v8/http://www.h1v8.com/

'Liddle too rich'fuh my blood . . budd'itt shoor'izz purdy!
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM
  #21  
Bug Zapper
 
Marioshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,109
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
If four's good, then eight must be better - that's the idea behind this jewel-like V8 engine built by Hartley Enterprises from two Suzuki Hayabusa four-cylinder powerplants.

[/URL][/COLOR][/URL]/

'Liddle too rich'fuh my blood . . budd'itt shoor'izz purdy!
Thats the one in that V8 Atom, actually that's a less powerful version than in the atom. 8 throttle bodies for quicker response. NICE
Marioshi is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM
  #22  
'06 S2k
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 401
Forget about the weak 500 hp for the Atom, put this in it
http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ind...nes/h1-v8-busa
1000 hp is just about right for the weight of the Atom

I just read that Hartley Enterprises in '12 sold the H1 and H2 engine technology. Does anyone know how bought it?

ROD
rrounds is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
  #23  
Bug Zapper
 
Marioshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,109
Originally Posted by rrounds View Post
Forget about the weak 500 hp for the Atom, put this in it
http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ind...nes/h1-v8-busa
1000 hp is just about right for the weight of the Atom

ROD


people will still complain that it doesnt have enough torque

Last edited by Marioshi; 05-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Marioshi is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
  #24  
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Java Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Joisey
Posts: 999,652
Aaaaay!
Slow!
See'whu'cha starded?
Java Junky is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
  #25  
EYECELLEM
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 3,791
Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post


people will still complain that it doesnt have enough torque
What is this torque thing you speak of?
Glenn1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cdk456
Java's Just Drivin'
1
11-16-2014 12:51 PM
fregosteg
Wheels / Tires / Suspension
16
04-25-2013 04:11 AM
hklvette
Engine Tech / Drivetrain
23
11-27-2008 03:38 PM
dezignpro04
Off-Topic
14
06-17-2008 05:22 AM
witerice19
All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions
2
05-10-2005 11:01 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hitting 300 hp help


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.