Engine Rebuild

Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Engine Rebuild

Some may recall that I was having troubles getting off of the line, bogging down in first. Then I started having stalling issues when coming to a stop. It would only start after it cooled a bit, or the old pop the clutch trick on a hill.

I took it in to have tests run to find the problem. Basically had every valve, sensors, battery, starter...ect. replaced. Nothing fixed the problem. Finally pulled the head and found what looked to be chards from spark plug tips. The pistons heads looked like the moon. The head was beat to hell. There were gouges on the cylinder walls from the spark tips.

Long story short, we decided to rebuild the motor. Rebored cinders, sleeves, new pistons, rods, clutch......The whole nine yards. And is basically a new engine.

Since get it back, iv'e put about 300 easy miles on it, wishing to let things settle. It will return to the shop after 500 for a look see.

I want to be kind to the motor but don't want to make it shy. Any suggestions as to proper break in procedures to train it to run strong? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

PS: What was actually amazing and is a testament to Honda's quality, is that it was still running at all let alone running as well as it was?

Also a big warning for those who want to super/turbo charge their cars. It is believed that this vehicle was pushed to the max with some type of blower that caused detonation and the subsequent damage. I would like to meet this bozo!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Top Always Down

How much did it cost for the rebuild?

Sorry I can't help you on the break-in procedure. If no one here knows, check out S2KI.com or S2KCA.com.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Croker View Post
PS: What was actually amazing and is a testament to Honda's quality, is that it was still running at all let alone running as well as it was?

Also a big warning for those who want to super/turbo charge their cars. It is believed that this vehicle was pushed to the max with some type of blower that caused detonation and the subsequent damage. I would like to meet this bozo!
yah your car had previously had some sort of turbo or supercharger in there before ya?

well glad that it's all put back together. i think honda recommends taking it easy (below 6k rpm) for the first 700 miles or so. but don't keep it at one speed for any extended period of time.

but then i also was reading some other stuff where they tell you to beat it hard for the first 20 miles and then take it easy for the next 500. something about how it gets the seals to seat properly or something i vaguely understood.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
THE STIG

Sorry to hear what happened to your S Charlie.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Dr. J,

I had a bunch of stuff done so it is difficult to separate out what was directly involved with the rebuild, but the actual rebuild was around $5000 I'm guessing. The total including all of the testing and parts was around $8000.

They had it for nearly four months. It's all new under the hood though and basically a new engine.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 AM
normal aspiration

Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Whutt LT said: doan keep'itt'att one RPM level ferr'any length'a time.
'Happy'da'cher "with Stewie" again CC.
Now, doan'go gettin' in trouble widd'itt. ('N, doan let'da blowa hidden unda'da bluetarp inda back'a'da garage get anywheahz near Stewie again.)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Well, I'm trying to get her back to as close to stock that I can. The bozos that did the hatchet job took all of the intake devices out and left a K&N filter in its place. Kinda empty in front of the engine. I am going to have to do some cosmetic work in order to show off the new engine.

I've been driving both in town and highway. Should I push it a couple times? I haven't gotten into VTEC yet and 350 miles?

I have other goodies hidden under the blue tarp!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah. I heard'bou'choo Texanz.
'Figure'itt'z'a family'a illegalz.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM
EYECELLEM

Break in procedure from owner's manual called for shifting no higher than 5500 rpm for the first 600 miles (I would say extend to 1000 miles). Not changing oil until first scheduled maintenance (wouldn't apply here unless shop had some special Honda break in oil) and I would add don't use cruise control for first 1000 miles (let engine break in at different revs instead of a constant rev).
Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Yeah. I heard'bou'choo Texanz.
'Figure'itt'z'a family'a illegalz.
Naw, queen Janet says the borders are totally controlled.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM

The total including all of the testing and parts was around $8000.
dude, you totally should've just parted it out and gotten another, less beaten one. but kudos to you for keeping another one on the road!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM

I hate to hear stories like this. Sounds like wherever you took your s hosed you. If they say they replaced your valves pre pulling your head then I dont even know what to say get a lawyer? Also what kind of shop just throws all of those parts at a car without really having a clue whats wrong? Your symptoms could have been a bunch of different things one of them is obviously a compression issue it would have taken 30 minutes to do a simple compression test instead they just threw parts at it.

Could it have been boosted sure could it have been other issues instead absolutely. I dont know what year yours is nor do I remember what year the recall was for but they had an issue with spark plugs breaking causing the same kind of damage.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by s2000isu View Post
I hate to hear stories like this. Sounds like wherever you took your s hosed you. If they say they replaced your valves pre pulling your head then I dont even know what to say get a lawyer? Also what kind of shop just throws all of those parts at a car without really having a clue whats wrong? Your symptoms could have been a bunch of different things one of them is obviously a compression issue it would have taken 30 minutes to do a simple compression test instead they just threw parts at it.

Could it have been boosted sure could it have been other issues instead absolutely. I dont know what year yours is nor do I remember what year the recall was for but they had an issue with spark plugs breaking causing the same kind of damage.
I was thinking the same thing... How could he replace the valves without taking off the head?! I just had a rebuild myself. Just replacing all those parts without reason sounds pretty costly.....but at least you have a pretty much new engine.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Guys, I'm a dentist. The mechanic involved tried all that he could before pulling the engine apart. The valves were not touched initially. The symptoms were not indicative of the depth of the problem. Outside of a start off the line, it ran fairly well. I initially was having issues off of the line that progressed to stalling after warmup.

Parts were not thrown and every attempt to rectify the problems prior to the eventual engine disassembly were done. Compression tests were done and the damage was not totally revealed until after the pistons were pulled. We were all surprised at the amount of damage when presented with the obvious as well as stunned that it ran as well as it did with the amount of damage. It truly wasn't that obvious.

At what point does one decide to part out? This mechanic is family, a lawyer doesn't work!

Sorry LT, the die is cast! It's paid for and runs great! Just need to break it in properly.

FWIW, I hate lawyers!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

isu,

It's a 2003 with a AP2 motor. The issues were from previous abuse, not current.

In life, .......... Sometimes we're the bug, and sometimes the windshield. I choose to move forward! In the end, the Universe will even things out!

My Italian Grandmother had a saying " you gedda yu share!"
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 AM
THE STIG

At least you now have some piece of mind knowing that it's pretty much a brand new motor and should last you a while.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Naddz CC.
Yuh'gott 'naddz.
I utta any'a'da eye-tralian from'da family . . 'n'iss liddle, wrinkled crone in'a black dress, gray hair in'a painfully tight bun widd'a knittin' needle t'rough'itt, gol' toof gleamin' . . she poppz oud'a nowhere'n whallopz me upside'da head widd'a rollin' pin.
Ol' Mario taught me all'a'da magic woidz. 'Jus' gedd'in'a whole lodda trouble usin'em.
Y'know?
Ride on my brutha, ride on.

(Aaay! 'Blade! Iff'ee gettz rebuilt . . duzz'ee godda undergo'da "wheahz'da-secret-compartment?" again?)
Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
'Naddz CC.
(Aaay! 'Blade! Iff'ee gettz rebuilt . . duzz'ee godda undergo'da "wheahz'da-secret-compartment?" again?)
Good point JJ but I think it only applies to if the body got built.....

Smart-a$$.....

Last edited by Switchblade; 02-27-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah . . 'makez sense.
I'll le'choo email Ahnold'da fine'out iff'ee knowz wheah'da secret compartment izz.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Secret compartment? Along with new engines comes amnesia!.......... or is old age a component!

JJ, you described Grandma to perfection and she had lots of practice raising eight of her own kids. Grand kids were child's play for her!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:00 PM

Some may recall that I was having troubles getting off of the line, bogging down in first. Then I started having stalling issues when coming to a stop. It would only start after it cooled a bit, or the old pop the clutch trick on a hill.

I took it in to have tests run to find the problem. Basically had every valve, sensors, battery, starter...ect. replaced. Nothing fixed the problem. Finally pulled the head and found what looked to be chards from spark plug tips. The pistons heads looked like the moon. The head was beat to hell. There were gouges on the cylinder walls from the spark tips.

Long story short, we decided to rebuild the motor. Rebored cinders, sleeves, new pistons, rods, clutch......The whole nine yards. And is basically a new engine.

Since get it back, iv'e put about 300 easy miles on it, wishing to let things settle. It will return to the shop after 500 for a look see.

I want to be kind to the motor but don't want to make it shy. Any suggestions as to proper break in procedures to train it to run strong? Thanks!

I had the same thing happen to my 2008 2000 yesterday and finally the engine seized. How has yours been since having it rebuilt. I have heard there is a problem with 2007-2009 motors and a reputable company said they won't rebuild these motors because they haven't been able to fix the issue with this motor.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 PM
EYECELLEM

Originally Posted by Roger1957 View Post
I had the same thing happen to my 2008 2000 yesterday and finally the engine seized. How has yours been since having it rebuilt. I have heard there is a problem with 2007-2009 motors and a reputable company said they won't rebuild these motors because they haven't been able to fix the issue with this motor.

Thanks.
Absolutely not true! The F22c engine in the S is one of the most reliable engines produced anywhere. But, like any other mechanical object, it will break down if not used or serviced as it was meant to be.