Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain
Skeptical about the benefits of taking off my airbox lid >

Skeptical about the benefits of taking off my airbox lid

Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 PM

This is my first time posting on a forum just fyi. Just read about taking off the airbox lid on the intake for more noise and possibly power? My concern after looking under the hood is that this could make the intake charge hotter and therefore lose power and maybe even cause other problems, regardless of how cool it may sound. The stock and aftermarket intake inlets are all located either close to the front of the engine bay, like stock or closer to the ground and in front of the engine bay, like on a cold air intake. Not just laid out wide open, basically in the middle of the engine bay free to heat soak. Just a thought. I'm still gonna try it but it would be cool to hear from others who know what I'm talking about. THANKS
'06 New Formula red
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 PM

You are correct!! Taking the lid off of the intake box will cause a ton more heat for the engine and the engine will make less power. May sound good, but it hurts performance in the long run.

I have a cold air intake from Injen. Not particularly impressed with it, but it does sound great in VTEC. Plus air is coming from outside the engine bay.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Thanks, did you have to cut any parts of your car to install the intake? Some of the intakes I've considered require some cutting to be installed.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Thanks, did you have to cut any parts of your car to install the intake? Some of the intakes I've considered require some cutting to be installed.
Yes, I had to do a little modification to one of the lower splash gaurds. And I had to remove the front bumper to install it. It took about an hour to do, fairly simple.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:59 PM

In the side wall of the engine bay near the airbox is a hole. Some other people have used this hole as a source of cold air feeding into the stock airbox.
This would require modification of the existing stock airbox by cutting a hole in one side so that you can add an additional intake tube.

This will not add the ram-air effect that some front mounted CAI kits have. This is simply an attempt to avoid sucking hot air.

Apart from modifying the airbox no other mods are required to the car. You could even pick up a second hand airbox and mod this in case you want to go back to original condition later.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Resident Track Whore :)

I recently intalled a K & N and am very satisfied with it. The sound is great and I can feel more pull in Vtec.