Just rebuilt engine - no spark to coils

Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 AM
St00pid Ricer

Just rebuilt engine - no spark to coils

I have a 2000 AP1 that a friend and I recently finished putting back together... or so we thought. A little over a year ago, I was driving to work and the car overheated. In the process of trying to determine what was causing it to overheat (I think I have it narrowed down to a bad fan switch, but that's the least of my worries right now), it got to the point where it was getting compression into the radiator and wouldn't start. We tore the engine down and found a very small spot in the head gasket where it looked like coolant was getting through, but not enough to get that much pressure back into the radiator. I sent the head to be checked for cracks and see if it was in spec, and though there weren't any cracks, it was .018" out of spec, so they shaved it back into spec. I got the head back, got new gaskets, and we got the engine put back together on Sunday night. The first problem is that there's no juice to the coils. The ground for the ECU is hooked back up to the back of the head, all the fuses are good, and we have the timing set properly. The car sat for a long time with a bad battery so the ECU got cleared, but when it was still running, it would throw a CEL for a bad O2 sensor, now the CEL comes on when I first turn the key on then goes out. Is there a chance that the ECU is bad, or would the car have to be running for the ECU to find anything to throw a code for? I'm completely stumped, and so far everybody else I've talked to is too. I'm not dragging the car 120 miles to the nearest Honda dealership unless I absolutely have to, so I'm open to any ideas short of tossing a live grenade in the engine bay and cutting my losses (and before long, I'll probably consider that too).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

You need a diag to tell you what you really need to be looking for , if you know the coils are good and the plugs are good the only other thing to look at is the CPS sensor and the TPS sensor make sure you are getting good readings from both of those. Next swap out the ECU it will not throw any codes unless the car starts , then the immobilizer system if it fails or is activated the fuel and ignition gets cut off. I know you already made sure that you are getting fuel so we are going to rule that out. That's all I can think of.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
St00pid Ricer

Originally Posted by Uncivil_s2k View Post
You need a diag to tell you what you really need to be looking for , if you know the coils are good and the plugs are good the only other thing to look at is the CPS sensor and the TPS sensor make sure you are getting good readings from both of those. Next swap out the ECU it will not throw any codes unless the car starts , then the immobilizer system if it fails or is activated the fuel and ignition gets cut off. I know you already made sure that you are getting fuel so we are going to rule that out. That's all I can think of.
Thanks for the reply. Crank position sensor is the next thing we're going to test, I get the feeling that it's either that or one of the cam position sensors.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Master Debater

from personal experience, check your timing again. I had mine set properly but the main timing gear wasnt tightened correctly and allowed the intake cam to jump timing, therefore not allowing spark
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 PM

If the crank sensor's whacky it would drop spark. My ap1 threw a weird sensor fault a while back, I don't recall what it was, but it lead me to check the ecm, by the clutch pedal, and one of the wires had broke off of the pin connector. Just a stupid random thing you might want to check before you frag it. I'd also check all of your body grounds. In my experience if it's an electrical anamoly that can't be explained it's a ground issue somewhere.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM

+1 on checking grounds and CPS. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Any luck yet?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM
St00pid Ricer

Originally Posted by Uncivil_s2k View Post
Any luck yet?
Sorry for the lack of updates here. I bought a pickup and my friend had the shop full from working on snowmobiles, so the car was on the back burner for awhile. Hopefully we'll be able to get back to work on the car this weekend. Any updates will be posted here.