clutch working BACKWARDS!? WTF!?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM

clutch working BACKWARDS!? WTF!?

ok guys after completely rebuildig my engie top to bottom ad a few minor problems i get my engine in and Im all excited to start it and it just "clicks" like a dead battery! Hook the jumpers up and same thing? after ttaking the starter off and thinking it was electrical i get a friend to push the clutch in while I manually turn the enige over with a 19mm and realize the engine is locked tight!!! my heart sank..... after a few choice words I try to turn the engine again manually and it turns freely???? I ask if he has the clutch pushed in and he says "no why?" heres whats happening..... my clutch is working exactly backwards? push it in it engages, let it out it lets go? so its exactly backwards..... my question??? HOW? it has a new disc but nothing else... anyone with a clue please chime in im going NUTS
Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by brads-s2 View Post
ok guys after completely rebuildig my engie top to bottom ad a few minor problems i get my engine in and Im all excited to start it and it just "clicks" like a dead battery! Hook the jumpers up and same thing? after ttaking the starter off and thinking it was electrical i get a friend to push the clutch in while I manually turn the enige over with a 19mm and realize the engine is locked tight!!! my heart sank..... after a few choice words I try to turn the engine again manually and it turns freely???? I ask if he has the clutch pushed in and he says "no why?" heres whats happening..... my clutch is working exactly backwards? push it in it engages, let it out it lets go? so its exactly backwards..... my question??? HOW? it has a new disc but nothing else... anyone with a clue please chime in im going NUTS
Brad, Are you positive you installed the clutch disc " Correctly "? I've had a customer that did his own clutch job and than a week later after he was done, guess what it was brought to me. I pulled his transmission out and come to find out his clutch disc was facing completely the WRONG way. simular problem to yours. If your Throw out bearing in correctly? I mean honestly it could be tons of problems.

When you're rotating the engine is the transmission stuck into " Neutral "?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Im sure the throwout bearig is in right and the way the disc looked it could only go one way? Hate to say it because I was so careful putting the rest of the engie together (I'll be the first to admit when I wrog though) I sat the disc on there using the alignmet tool and it looked like it could only go one way? and yea its stuck in neutral so to speak if the car is off. doesnt matter whenther its pushed in or not. if you push in the clutch to start it, even if its in neutral, its like it locks the engine and it cant turn over.... the way i found this is i diconnected the clutch fork and left the pedal to the floor to bypass the clutch switch to start it and it fires right up. that was after i foud that with the pedal wasnt pushed the engine would spin....

Last edited by brads-s2; 08-12-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 AM
just havin' fun

The car should be able to start with the clutch engaged if the trany is in netural. There is a very good probability the the disk is in backwards. There should have been a decal on the disk that stated which side faced the pressure plate and which side faces the flywheel. Sorry to say this but I think the trans. but come out..