Soft Clutch

Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Soft Clutch

Hello all. I'm brand new here. I've got a 2002 S2000. It has 100K on it. My car is 100% stock, and I have LOVED her for over 10 years. The clutch just went out, and I had it fixed. I picked it up at the independent Honda mechanic today, and I was in tears. The clutch was so soft that it felt like my old 1994 Honda Civic. I called the shop back and said that the clutch felt too soft. They, of course, told me that they had test driven it and everything was just fine. They said that I've probably forgotten what a car feels like with a good clutch. Ridiculous! I know my damn car! I said isn't there some kind of adjustment you can make to give the clutch proper resistance. They told me to drive it around for the day and if it still wasn't acceptable to bring it back and they would try something. As I'm female and don't know much about my S2000 (just that I know I love driving it), any ideas WHY my new clutch would be so soft now? I feel like I need to go back to the shop armed with some technical knowledge so that I don't get the runaround this time. I just know that this is NOT the car that I've been driving for the past 10+ years! Thanks so much!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

did you specify any specific clutch or supply your own parts?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:33 PM
mlc

Like was asked what parts did they put in the car?

The only other thing that comes to mind is to have them rebleed the clutch to make sure there is no air in the system.

Kevin
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by S2000 Girl View Post
As I'm female and don't know much about my S2000 (just that I know I love driving it), any ideas WHY my new clutch would be so soft now?
Please tell me that you did not just say the reason you don't know much about your S2000 is because you are female and therefore this is the reason people should help you. Please tell me you did not just say that.

If you don't know much about cars, and for whatever reason you feel it's necessary to explain that fact, just say you don't know much about cars. The reason you don't know has nothing to do with being female. It has to do with you simply not knowing. There are plenty of guys who have no idea why their clutch would be soft either.

If it were me, I would find a different shop recommended by other local S2000 owners in my area. I would get a second opinion from someone with both knowledge and the ability to actually put hands on the car. You can be given suggestions from folks here (and those would be helpful), but you would still just be walking in with suggestions, and the mechanics who have already told you that you don't know what you are talking about can just as easily dismiss you all the same because... well, you still won't know what you are talking about, but you'll be throwing around some good buzzwords.

Find a different shop that comes highly recommended from other S2000 owners and get a second opinion.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
House of CR.

Along those lines if you tell us generally where you are located we may be able to recommend a reliable shop in your area.

Could be several things, like mic stated the clutch master cylinder fluid is low, is leaking or needs bleeding the air out. The other, though rarely needed, is adjustment to the clutch pedal rod which determines the amount of "slack" prior to engagement.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM
official newb

is this the first time you had your clutch replaced? 10 years 100k is pretty good on a stock clutch.

Everything mentioned above is about right, there are a few things that make the pedal feel shtty. If they actually did change the clutch and used inferior parts then your stuck with it. Try asking questions (to the mechanic and here) before to avoid the negative after, many here would have made recommendations to a quality replacement clutch.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Banned

teh shady dealership prolly didnt replace the clutch or put a cheap on in there. just replace it yerself, it's cheap and fast. cost you $80 in parts and half hour for a stock clutch
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM

When you say "soft" are you referring to the effort needed to depress the clutch pedal or to the way the clutch "slips" when accelerating from a stand still? Please be more specific.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

Originally Posted by FIDCUOF View Post
teh shady dealership prolly didnt replace the clutch or put a cheap on in there. just replace it yerself, it's cheap and fast. cost you $80 in parts and half hour for a stock clutch
putting a clutch in an s2000 costs a lot more than $80 and takes a lot longer than half an hour.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM

i had the same issue. check you clutch master cylinder to see if its leaking. my was leaking inside the car where it goes through the fire wall. it was a 20 minute fix and cost about 80 bucks. https://www.s2000.com/forums/engine-...-pressure.html check out this let me know.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Could be one of two things.

1) The mecahnic is right, maybe you just don't remember what a good clutch feels like.
or..
2) The parts may have not been replaced by OEM parts giving you a different clutch feel. Because it is a different clutch.

I just had a clutch job done last week (Competition stage 2 clutch w/ lightweight flywheel) and noticed that the clutch was noticably softer when I was expecting it to be stiffer. It grabs amazing and never slips though so I can't complain.

As long as it grabs good and doesn't slip, the softer the better imo.

Note: I replaced the master cylinder a week before the pressure disc was worn to the bolts so I know it has nothing to do with the master cylinder.