2001 AP1 S2000

Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 AM

2001 AP1 S2000

I have had my 01 S2000 for about 5 months now, the clutch was said to be "new" when I purchased the car. That point aside I am having issues with my clutch or clutch components. when I press on the clutch peddle it grabs at the very top of the peddle travel. The clutch does not slip, when at full RPM, shifting at full throttle there are no indications of slipping. another side note, the peddle is very stiff, I have not driven any other S2000's to know if this is normal or not.

I am not sure where to start with this issue, and was hoping the bright minds of the forum could help me out.

V/R,
Andrew
Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Assuming the clutch was correctly installed you need to trouble shoot the clutch master and slave cylinders and maybe adjust the clutch take up point at the clutch pedal. I have a MY01 with 59,000 miles on it and I recently inspected and lubricated the slave cylinder actuation arm. Where it makes contact with the clutch withdrawal arm the grease had soldified into a solid. I removed the slave cylinder (let it hang by the hydraulic line), removed the actuation arm, cleaned it up,re-greased it, and replaced . The pedal pressure was lessened and the action is easy and very progressive. Go to S2KI.com and type clutch slave cylinder at the search area and a very nifty DIY with pictures should appear. Good Luck with your problem.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM

I always found the pedal to be stiff and clutch engagement point pretty high on all s2ks. But that's coming from a Z driver.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM

If the "new" clutch was an OEM clutch then the pedal should not be very stiff to depress. The clutch engagement of a stock s is pretty soft, but it does have pretty good "rebound" when you pop the clutch back out.

One thing to check is if the clutch slave cylinder is leaking like agski said. I know in higher mileage s2000's this is a pretty standard problem. Just grab a flash light and crawl under the driver side part of the dash and in the farthest left portion of the firewall (left = closest to the fender) find where your master cylinder connects to the clutch pedal and see if you see any liquid/greasyness around that area. If you do, then the clutch slave cylinder is leaking.

This may or may not be your exact problem - but could be an additional issue going on with it.