problems on fresh rebuilt engine.....

Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 PM

problems on fresh rebuilt engine.....

Ok fellas after saving my pennys and working on the s in my free time, I have put the following in the engine since the valves ate it last summer (yes it was my fault )

all these items are new:
Valves, seals, springs, retainers
head was resurfaced and checked by machine shop tested as good
head gasket
Darton MIDI sleeves installed at machine shop
piston rings
crank was checked for scratches etc (miced?) and polished was tested ok
crank bearings
rod bearings

and put back together:
installed the engine ad having the following problems:

1. it acts like it is redlining at 6200ish and wont rev any higher (car was warm)
2. it wont go into vtec period.... I adjusted the valves myself but saw something about vtec valve tool? not sure what that is set them all the same according to manual .008-.010
3.noticed that the first three bars on my temp gauge were kinda flashing on and off like a short or something and now they are not coming on at all (not sure if that has anything to do with the vetc working or not) and the other bars are working because I thought the temp sensor had went but saw the others light up like normal when the ignition is first flipped to on.

Ive sank a TON of money ad time into this lil motor because this was my dream car when I was youger and couldnt afford very much and to have these problems is VERY discouraging.... I drove it 15 miles ad after noticing these problems 2 miles from home, i babied it back to the house and I havent drove it since.. anyone with any ideas I would LOVE to hear them because I am out of them.... thanks guys

Last edited by brads-s2; 06-25-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 PM

1)Sounds like your timing could be off.

2)Knock sensor might be damage.(most guys/girls do this when removing and installing the starter)

3)Clearance on the rod/main bearings could be to TIGHT.

4)Was this your first engine build?

-B
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Senior Member, Literally

Since your temp indicator is acting up and the car won't go in to vtec when cold, that's
where I'd start.

Been a while since I built an engine, do they still use
plastigauge for the bearings?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Did you have to jump start the car to get it started?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 AM

At 6200 does it bounce off the rev limiter or is it just bogging out? If it's simply knocking the spark out with a rev limiter I'd think you're good on the mechanical side and have a wiring or sensor issue.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 AM

softtopguy

1. I lined everything up with the marks as the maual showed with the chain (has colored areas on the actual chain so that wasnt an issue to do at all

2. new knock sensor so its fine
3. the bearings are bradnew and I had the crank checked before I put it in and polished (had a tiny scratch on number 3 but wouldnt even catch a fingernail just had it done to be sure)
4 yes my first although Ive worked on cars and bikes for years so definitely not a mechanical novice.

Philiam

I agree to an extent and checked it all with ohm meter and it checks fine....

tuna

its like its hitting a rev limiter or something and as bad as valves are for bending in these guys I only pushed and held it one time for a second to see what result i would get and it finally went over for a split second and bogged down?

kgf3076

didnt have to jump start it, buit as I was typing this something just hit me..... i had the tps and the map sensor crossed when I started it the first time and it ran like crap then i turned it off realizig what I had done (yes the plugs are IDENTICAL) and started it back and it straightened out..... BUT I DIDNT reset the ecu by unhooking the battery or the fuse.....

CRAP.... I bet that threw it into limp mode... fingers crossed
Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 AM

or I would imagine these s2000's have a "limp mode"????? I know the civic and accords do so that if it sees something bad it does it to keep from REALLY screwing something up???? and forgot to add.... NO CEL's are coming on.. I have a reader amd its showing NADA....
Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 AM

well pulled the engine because I saw something yesterday that made me literally so sick i went in and laid down for a bit..... antifreeze in the oil. not ear to the point of "milkshake" but its there.... Im sick. Is the maual correct on 22lbs of torque??? an I may have made a huge mistake by reusing the head bolts. this is my first egine build and I may have learned alot at a HUGE exspense... I wat more than anything just to drive my lil guy aroud bone stock but it's not looking very good now. I'm sick literally sick. I am praying the major screw up that possibly threw it into limp mode (crossed up map sensor) saved this motor... getting ready to tear it back down and clean it all again and see what the damage is.... ready to hide from the girlfriend and do a big guy cry.... damn.

Last edited by brads-s2; 06-28-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM

I work for Honda, deal with engines and trans everyday for the past 8yrs; on the head bolts I go 28lbs first set 2nd round you go 90degrees and 3rd round you go 90degrees

1) 28lbs
2) 90degrees
3) 90degrees

Seems like you left out 180degrees on the headbolts. Good Luck Buddy

-B
Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM

thaks softtop guy! I just thought 22lbs was ENTIRELY too lose for a head...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by brads-s2 View Post
thaks softtop guy! I just thought 22lbs was ENTIRELY too lose for a head...
No problem. Good Luck

-B