Will running e85 hurt my motor? - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain
Will running e85 hurt my motor? >

Will running e85 hurt my motor?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:11 AM

I was doing some research and found that e85 increases performance, is beneficial to the engine as far as keeping it in good shape, and has cleaner emissions.

The only downfall that i found out was the mpg's arent that great and i will be spending more $$ on fuel.

The S says "premium" only so i was wondering if anyone had any experience/ knowledge about this fuel and if it would still maintain my motor without causing any damage to it considering it isnt "premium"

Increased performance and having a healthier engine I will be willing to have by spending a little more at the pump. Thanks!

BBD
Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 AM

I would highly advise you against doing so until you can educate yourself a little more about E85. There are a few threads on this site discussing it. In a nutshell, if your engine is stock or near stock (not boosted without an upgraded fuel system and full standalone EMS) don't even think about it.

Do not, I repeat, do not go fill your tank with E85 if you have a stock car, you will destroy it in no time.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:23 PM

From the Honda Owner Link website FAQs:

"Fuels that exceed the EPA's approved oxygenate percentages for conventional and reformulated gasolines must be clearly labeled on the pump. One example of such a fuel is "E85," which contains 85% ethanol. Do not use such fuels in your vehicle. These fuels will cause performance problems, and may damage your vehicle's engine, fuel system, and emission control system. This damage would not be covered under warranty."
Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 AM

The S2000 ECU is not tuned for E85. If you have an aftermarket ECU or a 06+ ECU the S2000 could be re-tuned to run on E85, but, then only E85.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM

I think this video answered my quesstions pretty well. lol

Thanks for all of the replies. Is e85 ever good for the motor?? Or is premium always the best way to go?

Last edited by BBD324; 06-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by BBD324 View Post
I think this video answered my quesstions pretty well. lol

Thanks for all of the replies. Is e85 every good for the motor?? Or is premium always the best way to go?

The best is to follow the manufacturers recommendation. Premium is a waste of money, and in some cases bad for your engine, if the engine is designed for regular. Premium has a higher flash point and in some situations can foul the plugs and leave more deposits in your engine from unburned fuel. If you're concerned about the environment then it's a bad choice in a vehicle designed for regular because of the increased emissions.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Follow Honda's recommendation. The car will run on regular but you'll lose
performance and mileage. It's a high compression engine.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by flyingarmadillo View Post
The best is to follow the manufacturers recommendation. Premium is a waste of money, and in some cases bad for your engine, if the engine is designed for regular. Premium has a higher flash point and in some situations can foul the plugs and leave more deposits in your engine from unburned fuel. If you're concerned about the environment then it's a bad choice in a vehicle designed for regular because of the increased emissions.
The S2000 is NOT designed for REGULAR!

HONDA specifies PREMIUM FUEL for the S2000 due to its volumetric efficiency* and high compression engine. Using regular fuel in an S2000 can damage the engine.

*The volumetric effciency of the S2000 is over 100%
Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by flyingarmadillo View Post
Im not sure if thats accurate. I dont see any reason for not putting premium in any vehicle (unless the manufacture specifically forbids it).
Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM

Here's a link defining volumetric efficency. I thought it interesting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM

E85 is sweet if your tuned on it, but DO NOT run it in a vehicle that is not setup for it, you will run extremely lean and that can easily blow something up

Generally with E85 you need about 30% more fuel to get the correct AFR. So with e85 say at 3.00 a gallon vs premium at 4.00 a gallon its gonna equal to be about the same as your fuel mileage on e85 will suffer a little

Last edited by timmay208; 06-19-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheCarGuy2021 View Post
I would highly advise you against doing so until you can educate yourself a little more about E85. There are a few threads on this site discussing it. In a nutshell, if your engine is stock or near stock (not boosted without an upgraded fuel system and full standalone EMS) don't even think about it.

Do not, I repeat, do not go fill your tank with E85 if you have a stock car, you will destroy it in no time.
I beg to differ... While I do not have an S2000 I have a stock truck from 2004 and I shove E85 through it. While it is true it does lean out on the higher end of the RPMs it takes about a day for the ECM to compensate and bring the AFRs to about 13.5-14.3 and will touch 15.0 the first day and on the high end of Rpms if not careful can touch 16.0-17.0 so you gotta watch out for a day. I do get better lower end torque not much but a little noticable. In WOT it stays pretty rich but I believe it's like a 9.0-10.0 afr for E85 but running with it at 14.3 ish for a couple months so far hadn't hurt anything and seems to be just fine.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Nothing like bringing a thread back from the dead-11 years!

However, it is timely because the administration is about to loosen up federal rules on ethanol limits. We could be seeing a lot more 15% ethanol fuel in the future.

This places a lot of auto warranties out of business; E85 voids many warranties. Ethanol has been demonstrated to negatively affect rubber seals, hoses and the like that are not made for high ethanol content.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post

However, it is timely because the administration is about to loosen up federal rules on ethanol limits. We could be seeing a lot more 15% ethanol fuel in the future.

This places a lot of auto warranties out of business; E85 voids many warranties. Ethanol has been demonstrated to negatively affect rubber seals, hoses and the like that are not made for high ethanol content.
Didn't know it was 11 years old... But E85 does not do much in terms of fuel system damage considering you aren't letting your fuel system sit and bath in the E85. Most if not all modern cars have replaced rubber hoses with nylon type plastic and metal that have compression fittings that almost erases the use if rubber hoses and seals.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post

The thread is also only 6years old from time of last response. Just thought to clarify that.