as if the gearbox wasn't good enough...

Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 PM

as if the gearbox wasn't good enough...

just had rear diff fluid, brake fluid, and clutch fluid changed out. on the advice of a buddy, tried out royal purple syncromax manual trans fluid. WOW! the gearbox was smooth before, but now it just upped the ante. didn't think it was possible to improve on an already amazing gearbox.

that stuff is going in my wrx this week 'cause that shifter is crap. although polishing a turd.......
Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Hey LT,

Great talking with you last week! What a beautiful town you work in and that Tri tip sandwich was to die for. Hopefully I'll be out in LA again later this summer.

Didn't mean to get off topic, but wanted to say thanks again. I managed to get out to Calico. It was really touristy, but brought back memories as a child seeing this place for the first time over 50 years ago. Back then it was only five buildings. Now it's pretty much back to what it probably looked like in the 1880's.

What a desolate terrain. I wonder if the miners were required to take OSHA training?

Doesn't sound like you're that happy with your new WRX?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 AM

hey charlie, great talking to ya, too! sorry we couldn't meet up but glad you go to see a little of where i'm at. can't believe of all the places you could've gone to you went to calico! it is pretty desolate out there.

i actually do like the wrx, definitely different from the s2k. the wrx is a great car, good suspension, great engine sound, good boost, very practical for hauling things, but gearbox is junk. that's why someone recommended the royal purple syncromax, thought i'd put it in the s2k first and it was amazing. so yah definitely putting it in the wrx.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Party Rock Crew

I put the purple in the tranny and the diff... got lots of grief because its not Honda...but thats fine, now two of us know how good it is.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM

^^ What is it with you and the purple stuff? Purple nuts, purple wheels, purple tranny (er... fluid, that is).
Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
^^ What is it with you and the purple stuff? Purple nuts, purple wheels, purple tranny (er... fluid, that is).

► 2:11► 2:11

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVbGnspgy_8
Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 AM
House of CR.

Going from conventional fluids to synthetic can make the transmission operation smoother, all things being equal. The problem with Honda MTF has been that it tended to need changing too often in some peoples eyes. Many of the transmission "issues" were less about the trans. itself and more about the clutch fluid needing changing/or air bubbles causing a notchy shift.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
You never know, maybe this is next:
Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Going from conventional fluids to synthetic can make the transmission operation smoother, all things being equal. The problem with Honda MTF has been that it tended to need changing too often in some peoples eyes. Many of the transmission "issues" were less about the trans. itself and more about the clutch fluid needing changing/or air bubbles causing a notchy shift.
yup had to change out the MTF in the CR after 2000 miles, and still was never happy with it. they told me to mash on it to break it in, did that, still eh. royal purple syncromax is going in there soon. (i had it put in my laguna blue)
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM

I put the purple in the tranny and the diff... got lots of grief because its not Honda...but thats fine, now two of us know how good it is. Posted by Starrman
Starrman -

I need a little help here, please. Are you using Royal Purple Syncromax in BOTH the differential and tranny or are you using Royal Purple MaxGear in the differential? I'm thinking of trying out Royal Purple and I want to make sure I get the correct type for each application.

Thanks!

S2000 Bob
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Party Rock Crew

Both...but I just changed my diff and the new one has a "cocktail" half sae 250 and half 75/90 both Amsoil products.

Murph, I am starting to think I do have a purple fetish...new roll bar is purple and I just had eggs with purple peppers.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
Both...but I just changed my diff and the new one has a "cocktail" half sae 250 and half 75/90 both Amsoil products.

Murph, I am starting to think I do have a purple fetish...new roll bar is purple and I just had eggs with purple peppers.

"Service Life
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are intended for severe racing and other applications where extended drain intervals are not beneficial. AMSOIL recommends changing the lubricant as conditions dictate. Where extended drain intervals are desired, AMSOIL recommends monitoring by oil analysis.

Mixing AMSOIL
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are compatible with conventional and synthetic automotive gear oils. Mixing AMSOIL gear oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. Aftermarket oil additives, other than those specified by AMSOIL, are not recommended for use with AMSOIL gear oils.

Recommended for racing applications that require heavier-viscosity gear lubricants. Engineered specifically for the demands of severe racing conditions. Provides improved flow over conventional oils, reducing viscous drag and power loss. The ultimate line of defense against wear, pitting and scoring. Extends gear life."

just curious why you would run something in an expensive limited-slip diff that is much heavier than the OEM recommendation? and, for conditions that you don't encounter on the street? don't even know why you would run that 250 stuff for a track day. you wouldn't run 50W in the motor, would you?

dunno. methinks you is thinkin', "mo' money, mo' better."

i use:

mobil 1 10W30 in the crank--5,000 miles (per the maintenance minder)

honda mtf in the transmission--15,000 miles

mobil 1 75-90 in the diff--15,000 miles

i got honda brake fluid right now but i want to change to some of that red and blue stuff. help me out here.

i ain't got a race car but the 100 makes you think you are stressing your fluids. and, i ain't got no purple jones.

Last edited by bbcricketta; 07-26-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: purple haze, all in my brain...lately things just don't seem the same!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM
THE STIG

Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post

"Service Life
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are intended for severe racing and other applications where extended drain intervals are not beneficial. AMSOIL recommends changing the lubricant as conditions dictate. Where extended drain intervals are desired, AMSOIL recommends monitoring by oil analysis.

Mixing AMSOIL
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are compatible with conventional and synthetic automotive gear oils. Mixing AMSOIL gear oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. Aftermarket oil additives, other than those specified by AMSOIL, are not recommended for use with AMSOIL gear oils.

Recommended for racing applications that require heavier-viscosity gear lubricants. Engineered specifically for the demands of severe racing conditions. Provides improved flow over conventional oils, reducing viscous drag and power loss. The ultimate line of defense against wear, pitting and scoring. Extends gear life."

just curious why you would run something in an expensive limited-slip diff that is much heavier than the OEM recommendation? and, for conditions that you don't encounter on the street? don't even know why you would run that 250 stuff for a track day. you wouldn't run 50W in the motor, would you?

dunno. methinks you is thinkin', "mo' money, mo' better."

i use:

mobil 1 10W30 in the crank--5,000 miles (per the maintenance minder)

honda mtf in the transmission--15,000 miles

mobil 1 75-90 in the diff--15,000 miles

i got honda brake fluid right now but i want to change to some of that red and blue stuff. help me out here.

i ain't got a race car but the 100 makes you think you are stressing your fluids. and, i ain't got no purple jones.
Well, I just put in what Ben (puddy mod racing) told me would be the best thing for the diff...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
normal aspiration

Well, I just put in what Ben (puddy mod racing) told me would be the best thing for the diff...
is you got a puddy?

whatever ben say. but for a stock diff, i don't think i would go that route.

maybe you is got a racin' car, hail, i don't know.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
maybe you is got a racin' car, hail, i don't know.
Pretty close....
Old 07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Party Rock Crew

well prolly not a racin car but she shur do go fast... and you are most certainly korrect, don't put that stuff in a stock diff...hall the tars prolly wont even roll then.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
normal aspiration

i love the way the king (king richard) says "fast", "deal", "gas", and "that's racin'." i grew up in North Carolina and sometimes i can still talk the talk.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Party Rock Crew

King Richard! He was always my favorite person who drove in a circle.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Member, Literally

King Richard! He was always my favorite person who drove in a circle.
Blessed are those who go in circles, for they shall never be square!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Ok, what's the final vertical? I would appreciate knowing what goes where. Is the syncromax 10W 30 in the tranny and 75 w 9,000,000 in the diff? This site can be dizzying some times!

I'm thinking of changing all of the fluids, so don't hold back!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 AM
normal aspiration

chalkie:

the book says:

10W30 motor oil

honda mtf for the trans; or 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil as a temporary fix

90W hypoid gear oil GL5 or GL6 for the diff

91 or higher octane gasoline

DOT 4 brake fluid

honda type 2 coolant

a good quality windshield washer fluid

unlike your girl-friend, your car does not care a whit about the precious fluids that you put in her. it is all up to you. you should buy good stuff. don't cheap out, but don't be convinced that more money is necessarily better. you might want to experiment with the diff and trans fluids. i doubt that you could tell a difference in diff fluids (i use mobil 1 75-90, starrman uses amsoil and amsoil 250 in a blend in a built diff, but he does have a race car). the amsoil 250 is not recommended for a stock diff. transmission fluid may be different. i have only used honda mtf, but there are those S2000 owners out there that swear by the purple stuff, gm synchromesh friction modified, and possibly other transmission fluids. it's all up to you. if you pick products that fit the factory recommendations, you will not harm your precious S.

"I would appreciate knowing what goes where."

tis important to know what goes where. your girl-friend should give you cues. i do believe that by reading the above list, your owner's manual, this thread and numerous others, you will be guided to the correct orifices and the fluids with which to fill them.

bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 07-30-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: makin' sure the diff drain bolt is tight...
Old 07-27-2012, 05:23 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Charlie Croker View Post
Ok, what's the final vertical? I would appreciate knowing what goes where. Is the syncromax 10W 30 in the tranny and 75 w 9,000,000 in the diff? This site can be dizzying some times!

I'm thinking of changing all of the fluids, so don't hold back!
I change my trans fluid with the Honda stuff and 75W90 in the diff but that's me. Stock diff.