How much for a head/Valve gasket job??

Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
How much for a head/Valve gasket job??

Just find out today... i have two leaks....Head gasket and valve gasket needs to be replaced. The guy quoted me $425+tax for both gaskets+60(diagnosis/ if I decide to do the job there he refund me the $60) is this reasonable price??????
I even called a Honda deal for a quote they asked for bring the car in for a diagnosis($160) first. 380 for the valve gasket, and they aren't sure about the head gasket....
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
  #2  
S2000.com Sponsor
 
turbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dallas
Posts: 4,329
does $425 include labor?

the VC gasket set is 21.44
the HG is 49.05

you can pull the VC off in 15 minutes or less and do the gasket yourself, it's about as difficult is changing a tire.
turbosix is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
does $425 include labor?

the VC gasket set is 21.44
the HG is 49.05

you can pull the VC off in 15 minutes or less and do the gasket yourself, it's about as difficult is changing a tire.
includes labor..yes.. i think they are pretty reasonable
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
  #4  
S2000.com Sponsor
 
turbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dallas
Posts: 4,329
i would consider that very reasonable.
turbosix is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
jagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Endless Mountains
Posts: 5,413
you can pull the VC off in 15 minutes or less and do the gasket yourself, it's about as difficult is changing a tire.
I would do this myself OP, and then clean the oil off the engine the best I could. (especially where the head meets the block, and where the valve cover mates to the head.)........drive it for a day, and then decide if it needs a head gasket.

jagg
jagg is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
I would do this myself OP, and then clean the oil off the engine the best I could. (especially where the head meets the block, and where the valve cover mates to the head.)........drive it for a day, and then decide if it needs a head gasket.

jagg
From what I heard that the head gasket was very hard to remove.. It involve with removing the heat shield and using a tourch to losen up the blots on them. Maybe I should replaced the valve gasket on my own??
And let him to do the head gasket??
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 AM
  #7  
normal aspiration
 
bbcricketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: deep south georgia--tangie town
Posts: 3,518
how did you discover the 2 leaks? was it the same person that told you $380 for a valve cover gasket? vc gaskets for v6 engines usually cost a good bit to replace because one bank of cylinders is next to to firewall and the job is labor intensive. i have never replaced a vcg on an S2000 but it does not seem that it would be that difficult; certainly not $380 difficult. yes, do the vcg yourself. make sure you need a head gasket before you jump on that. if you needed a head gasket, i would imagine you would be having some issues. what year and mileage is your car?

i know a place in ATL where you can get a head job for much cheaper.
bbcricketta is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 AM
  #8  
Party Rock Crew
 
starrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East Freakin NC baby, yeeyauh
Posts: 1,805
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post

i know a place in ATL where you can get a head job for much cheaper.

Yeah, ATL is a good place to get one...cheap too.
starrman is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by Xiaoschi View Post
Just find out today... i have two leaks....Head gasket and valve gasket needs to be replaced. The guy quoted me $425+tax for both gaskets+60(diagnosis/ if I decide to do the job there he refund me the $60) is this reasonable price??????
I even called a Honda deal for a quote they asked for bring the car in for a diagnosis($160) first. 380 for the valve gasket, and they aren't sure about the head gasket....
425 FOR both Head and Valve gaskets.. i understand the VGK is easy and cheap to replace...the hard part is the Head gasket.
I just checked my leak with a cardboard, the leak only appears with the car is running, and the drips are from really far back of the engine (End of the header or tranny) and this is because the leak i have on the head gasket.
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
  #10  
normal aspiration
 
bbcricketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: deep south georgia--tangie town
Posts: 3,518
i feel like a dentist. this is like pullin' teef.

what MY and mileage?

what, exactly, is leaking, and from were, exactly?

is it oil or coolant or transmission fluid, or power steering fluid, or windshield washer fluid; blinker fluid, muffler fluid, differential fluid, spilled slurpee or beer? please answer appropriately for as much help as i can offer; which prolly ain't much.
bbcricketta is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
jagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Endless Mountains
Posts: 5,413
is like pullin' teef.

yep......
jagg is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
  #12  
THE STIG
 
Switchblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NAZARETH, PA
Posts: 8,324
Switchblade is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 AM
  #13  
Top Always Down
 
Dr. Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca.
Posts: 2,994
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post


i know a place in ATL where you can get a head job for much cheaper.
My mind's in the gutter.
Dr. Jimbo is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
  #14  
THE STIG
 
Switchblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NAZARETH, PA
Posts: 8,324
Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo View Post
My mind's in the gutter.
LOL, can't believe I missed that......
Switchblade is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
HAHAHA....thanks for the teeth...

OK, the leaks are oil for sure, the color/smell and the leak only appears when the engine is running.
After he washed it, and started up the car again. He saw oil was leaking from the head gasket. He told me that he was very sure it was a head gasket leak. and the valve cover has a leak also
We find oil on the end of the exhaust headers, which is why he wanted me to replace it so badly, because the temperature of the exhaust headers are around 700 degree and it is not very safe to drive with a oil leak right on top of it.
So, anyway I agreed to doing it, and the parts only costed me $91 for both Valve and head gasket. He also told me, if he needed to drain the coolant he will do it for free, alone with new fluid, 425+tax i will have my self covered.
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo View Post
My mind's in the gutter.
A head job uhhh HAHAHAHA wondering how is that going to work...
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
  #17  
Top Always Down
 
Dr. Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca.
Posts: 2,994
Is it performed manually or orally?
Dr. Jimbo is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
definitely orally
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
  #19  
normal aspiration
 
bbcricketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: deep south georgia--tangie town
Posts: 3,518
anybody know: is it common for the head to leak oil? on an S2000?

still don't know MY and mileage. oh, well. $$$425$$$bye-bye. this really sounds like a high mileage problem.

jambo: a manual? really? i guess you kalifornians is kinkier than i thought. i guess a 6-speed and reverse would work. i just thought a head job was a head job. just don't blow a gasket. maybe i need to watch more ****?
bbcricketta is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
  #20  
Top Always Down
 
Dr. Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca.
Posts: 2,994
A penguin is driving along and his car breaks down. He takes it to a mechanic and says "I'll be back in a bit. I'm gonna run across the street to the ice cream shop." He comes back to the mechanic a little while later. The mechanic says "Looks like you blew a seal." The penguin says "No, that's just a little vanilla ice cream."
Dr. Jimbo is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM
  #21  
normal aspiration
 
bbcricketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: deep south georgia--tangie town
Posts: 3,518
Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo View Post
A penguin is driving along and his car breaks down. He takes it to a mechanic and says "I'll be back in a bit. I'm gonna run across the street to the ice cream shop." He comes back to the mechanic a little while later. The mechanic says "Looks like you blew a seal." The penguin says "No, that's just a little vanilla ice cream."
jambo: check no. 47:

https://www.s2000.com/forums/off-top...ke-thread.html



time flies like an arrow.

fruit flies like a banana.
bbcricketta is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
anybody know: is it common for the head to leak oil? on an S2000?

still don't know MY and mileage. oh, well. $$$425$$$bye-bye. this really sounds like a high mileage problem.

jambo: a manual? really? i guess you kalifornians is kinkier than i thought. i guess a 6-speed and reverse would work. i just thought a head job was a head job. just don't blow a gasket. maybe i need to watch more ****?
Model:2001 ap1, Mileage 75000.
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
  #23  
normal aspiration
 
bbcricketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: deep south georgia--tangie town
Posts: 3,518
while i am certainly no expert, this is my opine.

at your mileage, the valve cover gasket could certainly be leaking and need replacing.

at your mileage, unless the car has been severely abused, it is unlikely that the head is leaking oil. now, one good overheating session could change everything. if the head is leaking, you need to figure out why.

remember that this is a honda.

this is merely my opinion, taking into consideration that i have not driven the car, much less seen it, and there are no waivers, guarantees, implied or expressed, promises, engagements or agreements to purchase drinks or beer.

just don't be gettin' BSed or buffaloed. it's a hairy economy out there right now. thiefs are everywhere.

take this advisement at your own risk and perhaps with a grain of salt.

bb
bbcricketta is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
  #24  
Top Always Down
 
Dr. Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca.
Posts: 2,994
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
It fit in well with the subject matter here. T'would have been lost in translation over there.
Dr. Jimbo is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
while i am certainly no expert, this is my opine.

at your mileage, the valve cover gasket could certainly be leaking and need replacing.

at your mileage, unless the car has been severely abused, it is unlikely that the head is leaking oil. now, one good overheating session could change everything. if the head is leaking, you need to figure out why.

remember that this is a honda.

this is merely my opinion, taking into consideration that i have not driven the car, much less seen it, and there are no waivers, guarantees, implied or expressed, promises, engagements or agreements to purchase drinks or beer.

just don't be gettin' BSed or buffaloed. it's a hairy economy out there right now. thiefs are everywhere.

take this advisement at your own risk and perhaps with a grain of salt.

bb
HAHA I am down on the drinks and beer...
Xiaoschi is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
  #26  
normal aspiration
 
bbcricketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: deep south georgia--tangie town
Posts: 3,518
Originally Posted by Xiaoschi View Post
HAHA I am down on the drinks and beer...
i'll just have a shot of tequila and a bud or PBR. easy on the wallet. mezcal will do, the worms are delicious.
bbcricketta is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Xiaoschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
i'll just have a shot of tequila and a bud or PBR. easy on the wallet. mezcal will do, the worms are delicious.
I am more of mix drink guy, gin and tonic/ jack n coke/ for beer samdams Boston lagger!!!
Xiaoschi is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
s2kpat
Parts For Sale
3
06-24-2013 09:12 AM
Gadgetmanconnor
Engine Tech / Drivetrain
39
08-08-2012 01:22 PM
Bear Down
Engine Tech / Drivetrain
12
07-03-2012 05:05 AM
agthad
Engine Tech / Drivetrain
12
12-13-2011 07:23 AM
dts2000
Engine Tech / Drivetrain
6
05-28-2010 12:36 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much for a head/Valve gasket job??


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.