How much for a head/Valve gasket job??

Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM

How much for a head/Valve gasket job??

Just find out today... i have two leaks....Head gasket and valve gasket needs to be replaced. The guy quoted me $425+tax for both gaskets+60(diagnosis/ if I decide to do the job there he refund me the $60) is this reasonable price??????
I even called a Honda deal for a quote they asked for bring the car in for a diagnosis($160) first. 380 for the valve gasket, and they aren't sure about the head gasket....
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

does $425 include labor?

the VC gasket set is 21.44
the HG is 49.05

you can pull the VC off in 15 minutes or less and do the gasket yourself, it's about as difficult is changing a tire.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
does $425 include labor?

the VC gasket set is 21.44
the HG is 49.05

you can pull the VC off in 15 minutes or less and do the gasket yourself, it's about as difficult is changing a tire.
includes labor..yes.. i think they are pretty reasonable
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

i would consider that very reasonable.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM

I would do this myself OP, and then clean the oil off the engine the best I could. (especially where the head meets the block, and where the valve cover mates to the head.)........drive it for a day, and then decide if it needs a head gasket.

jagg
Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jagg View Post
I would do this myself OP, and then clean the oil off the engine the best I could. (especially where the head meets the block, and where the valve cover mates to the head.)........drive it for a day, and then decide if it needs a head gasket.

jagg
From what I heard that the head gasket was very hard to remove.. It involve with removing the heat shield and using a tourch to losen up the blots on them. Maybe I should replaced the valve gasket on my own??
And let him to do the head gasket??
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 AM
normal aspiration

how did you discover the 2 leaks? was it the same person that told you $380 for a valve cover gasket? vc gaskets for v6 engines usually cost a good bit to replace because one bank of cylinders is next to to firewall and the job is labor intensive. i have never replaced a vcg on an S2000 but it does not seem that it would be that difficult; certainly not $380 difficult. yes, do the vcg yourself. make sure you need a head gasket before you jump on that. if you needed a head gasket, i would imagine you would be having some issues. what year and mileage is your car?

i know a place in ATL where you can get a head job for much cheaper.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post

Yeah, ATL is a good place to get one...cheap too.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Xiaoschi View Post
Just find out today... i have two leaks....Head gasket and valve gasket needs to be replaced. The guy quoted me $425+tax for both gaskets+60(diagnosis/ if I decide to do the job there he refund me the $60) is this reasonable price??????
I even called a Honda deal for a quote they asked for bring the car in for a diagnosis($160) first. 380 for the valve gasket, and they aren't sure about the head gasket....
425 FOR both Head and Valve gaskets.. i understand the VGK is easy and cheap to replace...the hard part is the Head gasket.
I just checked my leak with a cardboard, the leak only appears with the car is running, and the drips are from really far back of the engine (End of the header or tranny) and this is because the leak i have on the head gasket.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
normal aspiration

i feel like a dentist. this is like pullin' teef.

what MY and mileage?

what, exactly, is leaking, and from were, exactly?

is it oil or coolant or transmission fluid, or power steering fluid, or windshield washer fluid; blinker fluid, muffler fluid, differential fluid, spilled slurpee or beer? please answer appropriately for as much help as i can offer; which prolly ain't much.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 AM

is like pullin' teef.

yep......
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
THE STIG

Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Top Always Down

My mind's in the gutter.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo View Post
My mind's in the gutter.
LOL, can't believe I missed that......
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM

HAHAHA....thanks for the teeth...

OK, the leaks are oil for sure, the color/smell and the leak only appears when the engine is running.
After he washed it, and started up the car again. He saw oil was leaking from the head gasket. He told me that he was very sure it was a head gasket leak. and the valve cover has a leak also
We find oil on the end of the exhaust headers, which is why he wanted me to replace it so badly, because the temperature of the exhaust headers are around 700 degree and it is not very safe to drive with a oil leak right on top of it.
So, anyway I agreed to doing it, and the parts only costed me $91 for both Valve and head gasket. He also told me, if he needed to drain the coolant he will do it for free, alone with new fluid, 425+tax i will have my self covered.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM

My mind's in the gutter.
A head job uhhh HAHAHAHA wondering how is that going to work...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Top Always Down

Is it performed manually or orally?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM

definitely orally
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
normal aspiration

anybody know: is it common for the head to leak oil? on an S2000?

still don't know MY and mileage. oh, well. $$$425$$$bye-bye. this really sounds like a high mileage problem.

jambo: a manual? really? i guess you kalifornians is kinkier than i thought. i guess a 6-speed and reverse would work. i just thought a head job was a head job. just don't blow a gasket. maybe i need to watch more ****?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Always Down

A penguin is driving along and his car breaks down. He takes it to a mechanic and says "I'll be back in a bit. I'm gonna run across the street to the ice cream shop." He comes back to the mechanic a little while later. The mechanic says "Looks like you blew a seal." The penguin says "No, that's just a little vanilla ice cream."
Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM
normal aspiration

A penguin is driving along and his car breaks down. He takes it to a mechanic and says "I'll be back in a bit. I'm gonna run across the street to the ice cream shop." He comes back to the mechanic a little while later. The mechanic says "Looks like you blew a seal." The penguin says "No, that's just a little vanilla ice cream."
jambo: check no. 47:

https://www.s2000.com/forums/off-top...ke-thread.html

time flies like an arrow.

fruit flies like a banana.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM

anybody know: is it common for the head to leak oil? on an S2000?

still don't know MY and mileage. oh, well. $$$425$$$bye-bye. this really sounds like a high mileage problem.

jambo: a manual? really? i guess you kalifornians is kinkier than i thought. i guess a 6-speed and reverse would work. i just thought a head job was a head job. just don't blow a gasket. maybe i need to watch more ****?
Model:2001 ap1, Mileage 75000.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
normal aspiration

while i am certainly no expert, this is my opine.

at your mileage, the valve cover gasket could certainly be leaking and need replacing.

at your mileage, unless the car has been severely abused, it is unlikely that the head is leaking oil. now, one good overheating session could change everything. if the head is leaking, you need to figure out why.

remember that this is a honda.

this is merely my opinion, taking into consideration that i have not driven the car, much less seen it, and there are no waivers, guarantees, implied or expressed, promises, engagements or agreements to purchase drinks or beer.

just don't be gettin' BSed or buffaloed. it's a hairy economy out there right now. thiefs are everywhere.

take this advisement at your own risk and perhaps with a grain of salt.

bb
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Top Always Down

It fit in well with the subject matter here. T'would have been lost in translation over there.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM

while i am certainly no expert, this is my opine.

at your mileage, the valve cover gasket could certainly be leaking and need replacing.

at your mileage, unless the car has been severely abused, it is unlikely that the head is leaking oil. now, one good overheating session could change everything. if the head is leaking, you need to figure out why.

remember that this is a honda.

this is merely my opinion, taking into consideration that i have not driven the car, much less seen it, and there are no waivers, guarantees, implied or expressed, promises, engagements or agreements to purchase drinks or beer.

just don't be gettin' BSed or buffaloed. it's a hairy economy out there right now. thiefs are everywhere.

take this advisement at your own risk and perhaps with a grain of salt.

bb
HAHA I am down on the drinks and beer...
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Xiaoschi View Post
HAHA I am down on the drinks and beer...
i'll just have a shot of tequila and a bud or PBR. easy on the wallet. mezcal will do, the worms are delicious.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 PM

i'll just have a shot of tequila and a bud or PBR. easy on the wallet. mezcal will do, the worms are delicious.
I am more of mix drink guy, gin and tonic/ jack n coke/ for beer samdams Boston lagger!!!