Valve job done...Oil pump Goes out related?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Valve job done...Oil pump Goes out related?

I have a 2006 and just had my valves redone. I drove the car for about 500 miles then the oil light turns on and car shutters and stalls. Took it back to the mechanic and said the oil pump when out and needs to be replaced. Is this a coincidence or does doing something incorrectly during the valve job cause the oil pump to fail. Thanks for any info. Car has 72k miles and i am the second owner.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Party Rock Crew

Don't know how a valve job could interfere with the oil pump...sounds like a sick coincidence.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
Don't know how a valve job could interfere with the oil pump...sounds like a sick coincidence.
Just spent $1800 on the valve job and now this....stewie is getting on my last nerve and scared it might have more of a history than i want to know.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Party Rock Crew

I hope it all works out.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
normal aspiration

valve adjustment or a valve job--new valves, seats, etc? $1800. never mind.

how many miles?

like starrman says, how does a valve problem morph into an oil pump problem?

just like a girl friend i once had with that history problem; but she shore looked good.

hope it works out for the best.

bb
Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Got S2000?

That "shudders and stalls" part may have some serious consequences...

I don't think an oil pump in a Honda should die at 72,000 miles, without some other affecting cause. During the valve job, do you think it's possible somebody dropped something down into the motor??

Not trying to sound so pessimistic, but this could be bad. I'm assuming the car hasn't ran since it stalled, so do think it could be seized??
Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
valve adjustment or a valve job--new valves, seats, etc? $1800. never mind.

how many miles?

like starrman says, how does a valve problem morph into an oil pump problem?

just like a girl friend i once had with that history problem; but she shore looked good.

hope it works out for the best.

bb
I had everything done to al valve seats baskets etc....the motor stalled and died due to a lack of oil pressure because of the pump. Motor would turn over but not start. It only stalled when i was at a low speed/rpm (5 mph). I had it towed right after. What does a oil pump replacement job cost? It has 72k miles
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
House of CR.

I'd be more worried about those areas within the engine that were without oil when the pump failed, than the pump itself. Drain the oil and see if there is any "extra" parts/foreign matter in it. Try Majestic Honda for the pump itself, hope this works out for you and the car.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Got S2000?

Is there something on the S2000 motor that will automatically kill ignition if oil pressure drops below a certain point?? I don't believe there to be any such device, but maybe I'm wrong.

You say the motor died due to a lack of oil pressure. That statement suggests that very bad things went on inside your engine to make that happen. Something is amiss here. I'd just hate to see you spend the money on a new oil pump on a motor that's already sustained internal damage. (It won't take long to find out if that's the case).

I'd drop the oil pan and see if there's any FOD in the pump. If so, the shop that did the valve job may be responsible...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:25 AM
THE STIG

That sucks! Hope everything works out for you!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM

I was told that if the valves are not set correctly and there is too much pressure built up that it will burn out the oil pump, my buddy says since its within 400 miles of when he repaired the valves its probably the source of the problem. Anyone agree?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM

I recently had to replace the whole motor because something similar happened. The oil light came on and shortly after the car stalled and died. I tried to start it but it would just turnover. I took it to the shop and had to buy a new motor due to internal damage with the camshafts. I'm not sure if the valve adjustment had something to do with it either but from what you are describing, it sounds like you may have to replace the motor.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by RedS2000 View Post
I recently had to replace the whole motor because something similar happened. The oil light came on and shortly after the car stalled and died. I tried to start it but it would just turnover. I took it to the shop and had to buy a new motor due to internal damage with the camshafts. I'm not sure if the valve adjustment had something to do with it either but from what you are describing, it sounds like you may have to replace the motor.
That sucks man! Off topic (that's what we do best here) but you joined in August of 2010 and this is your first post? Where have you been?!?!