Recommended Stage 4 Clutch

Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 PM

Recommended Stage 4 Clutch

Hello my name is Mike and im going to be an s2000 owner soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha well, i want a stage 4 clutch/flywheel and i was wondering if their are some soft ones. becuase i dont want to be pushing down on a ton of brix! it doesnt have to be super soft but a nice firm one. price doesnt matter too much but please do post a few options =]

Cheers!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Dismember

Isn't the stage of clutch and softness inversely related though? With that said, I guess there would be some softer than others but a "ton of brix" is exactly what I think of when I think stage 4. My buddy has stage three in his STI- I would not want to daily that beast. I don't even mind how much resistance there is- but the building (multiplication even!) of the resistance when letting your foot off clutch is alot to get used to....
Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Also, if you are looking at a stage 4, or "4 pack" clutch.....then you are planning on making in excess of 500hp in your S2000. Sort out your motor first with regards to your upgrades (obviously FI if you are thinking this much hp being applied to your driveline) and then concern yourself with your clutch.

4 pack clutch on a mildly modded vehicle is a massive amount of overkill, unless you are really looking to jack up your left leg.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Dismember

Originally Posted by spreedizzle View Post
Also, if you are looking at a stage 4, or "4 pack" clutch.....then you are planning on making in excess of 500hp in your S2000. Sort out your motor first with regards to your upgrades (obviously FI if you are thinking this much hp being applied to your driveline) and then concern yourself with your clutch.

4 pack clutch on a mildly modded vehicle is a massive amount of overkill, unless you are really looking to jack up your left leg.
I think you meant four puck but well said, I am not sure what his plans are but with a beafy clutch like that- you should have the HP to make it worth the drivability sacrifice...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Hybrid Hater

Why in the world do you want a stage 4 clutch? You dont need one if your car is stock and if your car is a racer its going to be harsh anyway.

I guess there is one option but what your asking for is the best of both worlds. Just remember the guide to buying anything: cheap, performance, reliability you can only pick two. What your wishing for is all three which just isnt possible. If you want high performance (lots of holding power aka stage 4) and great reliability (in this case drivability) you get a high price.

Here is the clutch you want if you got deep pockets
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...carbon_clutch/

Last edited by 0tyrael0; 07-01-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 View Post
Why in the world do you want a stage 4 clutch? You dont need one if your car is stock and if your car is a racer its going to be harsh anyway.

I guess there is one option but what your asking for is the best of both worlds. Just remember the guide to buying anything: cheap, performance, reliability you can only pick two. What your wishing for is all three which just isnt possible. If you want high performance (lots of holding power aka stage 4) and great reliability (in this case drivability) you get a high price.

Here is the clutch you want if you got deep pockets
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...carbon_clutch/
thanks a lot! im actually gonna go with the sport clutch for 600$ becuase i wont pass 400hp. is this company high-end quality and durability?

THANKS
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by mariusz13 View Post
thanks a lot! im actually gonna go with the sport clutch for 600$ becuase i wont pass 400hp. is this company high-end quality and durability?

THANKS
Good choice. Thats the one I have. Yes the are excellent. I own quite a few of the things they offer. They also have great customer service if you have a problem.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 AM
THE STIG

Good choice. Thats the one I have. Yes the are excellent. I own quite a few of the things they offer. They also have great customer service if you have a problem.
How's the feel on that?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Hybrid Hater

Its really good. Not too heavy and no jutter when you let off the clutch slow.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 PM

Competition clutch makes a good stage 4 clutch, pedal is lighter than stock, the area of engagement is just super short
Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM

0tyrael0: do you use this car as a daily driver? Do you have lots of stop and go traffic? I commute around LA and would like to know how your clutch would work out as a dd in that type of traffic.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Hybrid Hater

I only daily drive in the summer (living in Wyoming dd S2K is hard). Again living in Wyoming there is no constant stop and go traffic but I have driven through Denver in heavy traffic and there is no problem. The clutch works great. I have had it for 4 years now and hardly noticed a difference from stock.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info. Did it make that big of a change from stock when you're racing? I looked at your profile but couldn't figure out what other mods you've made. So, what have you done? I guess the real question is: In your opinion, is it worth it to change the clutch from stock to aftermarket when the rest of the car is, and will probably stay, mostly stock? My stock clutch is gone and I'm trying to decide whether to make the upgrade or not, since I'll have it all apart anyway.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 AM

what possible reason would youwant a stage 4 clutch on a stock car
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Not OP, just thread hijacking (sorry OP). I don't want a Stage 4, but I'm looking at a sport clutch. I drive pretty aggressively and I would like to start taking the car to the track as well, so I'm thinking an upgrade might match my driving style. Since I have to replace the clutch anyway, now is the time to upgrade if I'm going to upgrade.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Party Rock Crew

Lots of choices out there, SOS makes a good clutch/pressure plate as well as ACT. The stock clutch itself is actually all you need, sounds like you are looking for a little stiffer pressure plate; which again there are many choices but have not heard anything bad about the 2 mentioned above.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Master Debater

i have a stage 4 on mine. its stock minus a air intake but it is absolutely brutal to drive at low speeds. its definitally a great clutch but for the fact mine is not a race car, it is pretty crappy. they are great when you are driving fast but thats pretty much it. you look like a retard that cant drive when you have to slowly take off from a red light.

i could go on for pages but in my observation, get a stage one if you want a racing clutch bad enough. otherwise just get oem.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Master Debater

Originally Posted by dfws2k View Post
Competition clutch makes a good stage 4 clutch, pedal is lighter than stock, the area of engagement is just super short
thats what i have. all you said was true minus the jutter at slow takeoff.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by davemcg3 View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info. Did it make that big of a change from stock when you're racing? I looked at your profile but couldn't figure out what other mods you've made. So, what have you done? I guess the real question is: In your opinion, is it worth it to change the clutch from stock to aftermarket when the rest of the car is, and will probably stay, mostly stock? My stock clutch is gone and I'm trying to decide whether to make the upgrade or not, since I'll have it all apart anyway.
The only real notice at speed is it does drop a little quicker so it will be slightly different to drive. But for how much power it rated for its excellent.

Is it worth it? Well thats kinda up to you. If your clutch is working at 100%... probably not if your going to keep your car stock. However if your clutch is old and its demise is impending or you are experiencing some slipping than its defiantly worth it. Especially if you have an AP1 the the clutch buzz problem.

I havent owned an ACT but I did use to have the Competition stage 2 (I think it was stage 2) before the SOS clutch and I dont recommend it. I mean it works fine but it has tons of jutter at slow take off. It drove me crazy so I got the SOS clutch instead.

As far as my mods:

SOS clutch
4.44R Final Drive gear
Tein H Tech Springs
SOS drilled and slotted rotors
SOS Stainless Brake Lines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Advan RG-D wheels

Mods For the future:
Swift Swaybars
Koni shocks
T1R Exhaust
SOS Supercharge Stage 2 (hopefully next summer)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:35 PM

Stay away from pucked clutches unless you plan on doing a lot of drag racing. They hold up to the hot lapping and heat associated with it. Run a full faced disc as the engagement is much smoother for the street. Pucked clutches are totally streetable but are generally overkill for the setup. The one that came on my s2k is also loud.

I've also seen people run upgraded PP and use the stock disc for 300ish HP in the s2k. I've never ran this but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the input guys. It was all very relevant to make this decision, and I think it fits in perfectly with the original purpose of this thread, so the hijack was beneficial. The OP had already made his decision anyway. After reading your replies, some discussion with a friend of mine, and some soul searching I have decided that, for me, stock is the way to go on this car. I really do appreciate all the input and I hope to see you guys on the street, and maybe at the track when I can get everything lined up.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by davemcg3 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. It was all very relevant to make this decision, and I think it fits in perfectly with the original purpose of this thread, so the hijack was beneficial. The OP had already made his decision anyway. After reading your replies, some discussion with a friend of mine, and some soul searching I have decided that, for me, stock is the way to go on this car. I really do appreciate all the input and I hope to see you guys on the street, and maybe at the track when I can get everything lined up.
good choice

my buddy is borrowing my car for now, and he HATES my clutch compared to his infinitely more stock setup, lol
Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 PM

The only real notice at speed is it does drop a little quicker so it will be slightly different to drive. But for how much power it rated for its excellent.

Is it worth it? Well thats kinda up to you. If your clutch is working at 100%... probably not if your going to keep your car stock. However if your clutch is old and its demise is impending or you are experiencing some slipping than its defiantly worth it. Especially if you have an AP1 the the clutch buzz problem.

I havent owned an ACT but I did use to have the Competition stage 2 (I think it was stage 2) before the SOS clutch and I dont recommend it. I mean it works fine but it has tons of jutter at slow take off. It drove me crazy so I got the SOS clutch instead.

As far as my mods:

SOS clutch
4.44R Final Drive gear
Tein H Tech Springs
SOS drilled and slotted rotors
SOS Stainless Brake Lines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Advan RG-D wheels

Mods For the future:
Swift Swaybars
Koni shocks
T1R Exhaust
SOS Supercharge Stage 2 (hopefully next summer)
I'm going to have to second that. I have the Competition stage 2 clutch as well but have had different experinces with it..
My first one was great, no jutter, took off great and was louder than stock but not too much louder. Everything was great till I popped a spring.. Now my second Competition stage 2 clutch is CRAZY juttery and gets worse in traffic or when clutch heats up. It's also the loudest clutch I've ever heard...Like, almost intollerable.. The engaugement point feels great though (really short) and pedal stiffness is spot on. My main complaint is the loud @$$ buzzing...