Removing the stock air filter

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Removing the stock air filter

Can someone help me? I'm trying to replace my stock airfilter on my 2008 S2000. The only problem I'm having so far is removing the tight spring sealed across the neck of the air filter. I can't get that thing off and am afraid of breaking it with a screw driver.

I'm finding out that this spring is not there for models older than 08. Can anyone offer any insight on how to remove this? Should I use small screw drivers? Should I 'roll' it towards the air filter or back the other way?

Thank you
Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Banned

wiggle it back and forth and it should come out
Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by two faced rat bastard View Post
wiggle it back and forth and it should come out
Tried wiggling. Maybe I am not strong enough but the thing wouldn't budge. So I take two small flat head screwdriver and pried my way around the tight spring, lifting it up at the same time and got it removed.

Put in the K & N and noticed there's a small strip of rubber about 4" long underneath. Not sure where that came from. Perhaps on the neck of the intake. I'm not sure so I left it out. Put back the lid and snapped everything together fine.

I hope that piece is not too important.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

are you referring to the rubber at the head of the filter? that piece needs to be inserted into the small hole at the left side of the filter box at the bottom. it helps to keep the filter in place.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by two faced rat bastard View Post
are you referring to the rubber at the head of the filter? that piece needs to be inserted into the small hole at the left side of the filter box at the bottom. it helps to keep the filter in place.

No. Not that. The 'prong' on the tip of the KN filter was inserted into the hole in the box at the bottom. This piece was about 3-4" long and roundish. It might have fit around the neck of the pipe. It was black.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Party Rock Crew

Yes, the K&N drop in has a small prong that fits in the hole, the piece you are talking about is probably what you think...goes around the pipe as it comes into the box.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
Yes, the K&N drop in has a small prong that fits in the hole, the piece you are talking about is probably what you think...goes around the pipe as it comes into the box.
Yes. I believe you are right. But I don't know where to put it back around the pipe, so I left it out. It feels tight, the spring is back on, the lid is back on straight. So I should be good to go....I hope.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:50 PM

You didn't have to remove the spring to replace your air filter.
You just wiggle the filter and gently pull it and it will come off.
Then you just push the new one on/in, no tools required.

edit: The rubber piece goes on top of the curved portion of the divider in the center of the air box.

Last edited by TTMartin; 04-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.