Scraping noise coming from rear of car, need help

Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Scraping noise coming from rear of car, need help

I recently started to hear a weird noise coming from the rear of my car. That day the car was washed so I did not think much of it at first. It sounded like that sound you hear when the brakes rust against the brake disc and you hear that scrapping noise as the pads go past the rust point. When I heard it I applied the brakes and gas to try and clean the discs. The noise didn't go away. It mostly sounds like a scraping or grinding noise from either the left rear or center rear. I cannot tell exactly. The noise remains when coasting in neutral. It seems to happen on the exact same spot of the revolution of the rear tire. If I go faster the noise frequency increases and if I go slower the frequency decreases. I jacked up the car and tried to shake the rear wheel to check the bearing and it seemed fine. I inspected the brake area to see if something was stuck between the shield and the disc and could not find anything. I lowered the car and drove again and the noise wasn't there. Then it happened again tonight. It seems that when I apply power the noise goes away or gets less. I am not sure if that is due to the noise of the engine or the torque to the rear is getting rear of it. If I am cruising at a steady throttle I can hear the noise. If I coast in neutral I hear the noise. The noise also seems related to the temperature of the car? I just took the car around the block and I heard no noise. When I first hear it I remember not hearing it at the start of the trip but when I got off the freeway I could hear it. Can anyone help me figure out what the noise is coming from?

Summary:
  • 2001 S2000 with 55k miles. All normal scheduled maintenance have been performed at local Honda dealer.
  • Noise is linked to the revolution of the rear and happens at the same spot (assumption) in the revolution of the rear tire or axle.
  • Noise is a scraping or grinding type sound.
  • Noise is coming from left rear or center rear.
  • Heavy throttle seems to make it diminish.
  • The noise is easiest to hear when coasting very slowly in neutral.
  • The noise occurs regardless if the brake is applied or not.
  • The noise comes and goes between drives of the car. When I hear it I usually hear it for the rest of the drive. The next day it may be gone.
  • The noise may be related to the temperature of the car or length of drive?

Thanks in advance for any help provided!!!

- John
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Top Always Down

Well I got to give you props for the great description and not leaving out any details. The only thing missing is pictures, and in your case, they're not needed.

Now, the noise. Got me stumped on that one. When you say your car was washed, did you go through a drive through? The noise started after this carwash, right?

Seems too soon to be a wheel bearing or cv joint. Not sure what a bad rear end on the S sounds like (and I hope I never find out).

I hope someone here has an idea. I just reread your post and in all my years in dealing with cars, you got me stumped.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Don't be insulted but have you looked under the car?

A stick or branch dragging or rattling when stuck under the car can cause some ominous sounds.

happens to my vehicles all of the time.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Dr. Jimbo - It has me totally stumped too. I have raced cars, worked on cars, done total engine, transmission, suspension, and brake swaps before and I am confused on this one. I am not a drive train expert so I am wondering if it is a problem with the rear differential or the axle going to the left rear wheel. When I had the car jacked up though I grabbed the axle and tried to see if there was any play in it and there was not. I am not an expert in diagnosing rear drive train problems. With regards to the car getting washed it was done by hand by a service that comes by my work and does cars in the parking lot.

Re: Gerry100 - I had jacked up the car and removed the rear wheel to check for anything under the car. I had originally suspected something like that. I did not see anything under the car. I also thought that if that was the problem it would be constant whereas if I drive the car at the beginning of the drive there is no sound sometimes but towards the end of the drive there is. It seems to be related to the car heating up??? Again that is a guess.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Village Pyro

JoJa this car has alot of sounds that can scare you making you think something is wrong when nothing really is. I have driven mine well over 70k miles. It has 112k on it now. I have never had a major issue at all with this car. Chances are you could take off the rear pads and put them back on and the sound might stop.

(That or a warped rotor)
Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 AM

Exactly the same problem with my 01 S2000 with 70,000KM on the clock!

Noise was very slight could hardly hear it, now +1 month, noise is very very loud, when i am accelerating it doesnt make noise, when i dont makes it, ..

identical, very frustrating, and hpoe its not an expensive problem.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Sure there'z'n answer comin' wit'da arrival'a'da site wrenchez Jo.
I jus' hadda chime in'n agree wit' Doc: 'att'z'a mos' thorough description'uv'a sound I've ever run across.
Bes'a luck gettin'iss resolved.

P.S. Gerry'z thought on somethin' bein' jammed in under the car'z a good one. Like'a Thomas'z English Muffin, Stewie'z godda number'a nookz'n cranniez unna there whut might not be immediately noticeable jus' lookin' across'er belly.

Last edited by Java Junky; 05-14-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: CRAFTz Disease
Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 AM
mlc

I would check out the rear brakes. Just remove the caliper and see what you see there. Maybe a piece of something got in there when they washed the car and as the rotor heats up it makes more noise. Maybe the E-brake is sticking just a little.

Just a guess but cant hurt.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 AM

I took the car to the dealer and they could not find the source of the problem. Fortunately they did not charge me.

Sound happened again and I took the car back. This time they had a service tech come out and listen to it. The tech heard it and it was definitely coming from the left rear. He ended up removing both axles and finding lots of rust. He cleaned the axles and relubed them. Charged me an hour of labor. So far the sound seems to have gone away. Knock on wood.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Revel inn'itt Jo.
Findin'a source jus' don' happen often enough.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

I had a similar problem a while back, it turned out to be the caliper was corroded and wasn't retracting away from the rotor. It started after the brakes got hot and only at low speeds.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Do not hesitate to follow up on Tuna79's idea.

It could save you the cost of a rotor.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Hey, just wondering if you ever found out exactly what it was.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

bearing

Can someone help me.... I had similar situation and ignored it and acouple days ago It was dark and driving down the road and noticed in the rearview that it looked like sparks....Stopped got out and looked around and nothing....two days later it did it again but worse and came a high pitched sound. Got it home pulled all tires and checked all brakes all was good. I am stumped so I am thinking this is a bearing ... Anyone else had this issue????? Car has 100k
Old 12-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by betterbelieveit View Post
Can someone help me.... I had similar situation and ignored it and acouple days ago It was dark and driving down the road and noticed in the rearview that it looked like sparks....Stopped got out and looked around and nothing....two days later it did it again but worse and came a high pitched sound. Got it home pulled all tires and checked all brakes all was good. I am stumped so I am thinking this is a bearing ... Anyone else had this issue????? Car has 100k

Ummm, if you have sparks coming from your car, and you donít know what it is. I think itís time to stop playing home mechanic and take it into a good shop.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 AM

First post:
I seem to have this exact same problem that joja15 posted in post1. I couldn't find anything wrong with the brake assembly.

Could this be a wheel bearing going bad? If so, does anybody know how to replace it?

Joja15's solution was to remove the axles and rust. Which part of the axle could be rusted?

Thanks all!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
cruisin

i am having the same issue as well...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 AM
THE STIG

Sounds like a wheel bearing. Mine are making the same noise as well. Jacked it up and wiggled the wheels and sure enough, play in the wheel bearing. Looks like I'm getting bearings and hubs!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jmo_13 View Post
i am having the same issue as well...
Fixed.

Ok. so i jacked up the car and took the brakes apart (wanted to relube just in case) and took a look at the hubs to see if there was any noise or wiggle room.

when spinning the hub (and the caliper taken off), there is no noise at all coming from it. there is also no wiggle room, so the wheel bearings should be fine.

relubed all brake parts.

after putting all back together, the noise was gone. 1.5 days of driving later it has not come back. i assume that some brake parts did not like the icy weather we had last week.

so hopefully, this will be the end of it and is also the same reason for you. good luck!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 AM

Almost every S2K have this noise, more or less loud. It's very very commun and it's due to loosing of grease and/or corrosion on the head of the left rear shaft drive (wheel side). All U have to do is to unmount the shaft, clean the head and relube, that's all.

Other typical noise is more related with brakes, coming from used or coroded calipers like Tuna said. That is also known and to solve that Honda sells a special kit called "caliper repair kit" with stuff like gaskets and so inside.
You can find a front and a rear kit, here for instance -->
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03maint.html
for 20 each.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato Negro View Post
Almost every S2K have this noise, more or less loud. It's very very commun and it's due to loosing of grease and/or corrosion on the head of the left rear shaft drive (wheel side). All U have to do is to unmount the shaft, clean the head and relube, that's all.

Other typical noise is more related with brakes, coming from used or coroded calipers like Tuna said. That is also known and to solve that Honda sells a special kit called "caliper repair kit" with stuff like gaskets and so inside.
You can find a front and a rear kit, here for instance -->
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03maint.html
for 20 each.

Merry Christmas
good info. thank you. i will have to do that, since the noise did indeed come back after a few days. i'll try to find a DIY on it here. is it bad to drive for a couple weeks without fixing it?

thanks again.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:55 AM
cruisin

Originally Posted by El Gato Negro View Post
using regular multi purpose grease will be fine correct?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by jmo_13 View Post
using regular multi purpose grease will be fine correct?

I think this is the procedure in pictures he is referring to:

Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 PM
cruisin

i've been hunting down a diy for this. i will have to give it a shot when i get the car back from the paint booth. TY.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by notrickz View Post
I think this is the procedure in pictures he is referring to:

Yes, it is, you're perfectly right.

For the lubricant, multi purpose will be fine, but if you don't want to do it again too soon again, choose a good high temp silicone or molybden grease or PTFE even better. Also I've seen that only on the left side for the moment, but U can still do both sides if U have time and patience.

Happy new year for all from Paris

Last edited by El Gato Negro; 01-05-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by JoJa15 View Post
I took the car to the dealer and they could not find the source of the problem. Fortunately they did not charge me.

Sound happened again and I took the car back. This time they had a service tech come out and listen to it. The tech heard it and it was definitely coming from the left rear. He ended up removing both axles and finding lots of rust. He cleaned the axles and relubed them. Charged me an hour of labor. So far the sound seems to have gone away. Knock on wood.
Sounds like you've got a good Honda dealer. Where are you located and what is the dealers name, I'm guessing other people in the area might want to know about them. Good dealers can be hard to find.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM

In your brake pads there is a built in "warning" that your pads are wearing too low. This makes the sound you are describing… If you keep driving can cause damage to the rotor (or disc) from the scraping of the worn pads..
Old 03-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Any update on sorting out this noise?