Car wont start....

Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Car wont start....

My gf has a 2001 S2000 and she just got the clutch done. A few days after that it wouldnt start. She had it towed back to the shop and it started for them with no problem. Car was fine for about a week then it happened again.
We went for dinner, came out and the car wouldnt start. Ignition just has a faint click when u push the button. We tried jump starting it (nothing) then bomb started it to get it home. It is totally random when it wont start. Shop has no idea what it is....Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM

did they do anything else to the car when they replaced the clutch
Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Chief Hata in Charge

Immobilizer? Alarm problem?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:08 PM

No they just did the clutch...thought it might be immobilizer or something, not too sure
Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 PM

yes it might just be that i would say something to do with the clutch because u have to engage it 2 start the car so maybe they did something wrong puttin the trans back together nd or in?? where did the car getone??
thx
bryan
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Ya that's what they thought in the beginning, it was done at a place called rise performance in Richmond, bc. A buddy of mine recommended them, they did it for $500 cheaper than Honda. It happened again today on her way home from work. Stalled at an intersection and it wouldn't start again. Anyways, she's gettng it towed back to shop. Thanks for advice
Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 PM

yw let me no how it goes nd what was the problem...goodluck
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Sounds like the interlock switch isn't adjusted right. There's a switch that keeps you from turning the starter unless the clutch is fully depressed. I'll bet they didn't adjust it right when they did the rebuild.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks guys...if it is the interlock switch does that mean they have to pull the motor/tranny again?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 AM

push the clutch pedal extra hard towards the floor and see if it starts.

if it does, then the clutch pedal safety switch is mis-adjusted. (or your floormat is wedged up under the clutch pedal...seen this quite a few times too....)

I don't understand why they would be effecting it while changing your clutch.......unless they had a real high friction point when they got done, and decided to go dickin' around with the pedal to correct the problem.

dumb question: did they cut or replace your flywheel?

jagg
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM

ya we tried ****** with the clutch pedal...doesnt matter how hard u press it, just decides not to start at times. the first thing they suggested was floor mat so we took it right out to make sure....and i think the flywheel was machined, not sure...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 PM

s2000 won't start?

anyone know y my s2k won't start? when u try to start it up...it has a weak crank? i check everything and everything is fine! could it be the timing??? don't know...or can it be the clutch? cause when u press the start button it has a weak crank!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Same problem here - Fixed

I wanted to add to the thread for anyone else working through the same problem. Mine would start fine sometimes and then randomly it would just click. The dash lights would look normal, everything seemed fine until you turned the key to start then all went dark.

I replaced the ground cable from the battery and all seemed good so I resumed normal driving.

A day or two later, click. This time I wasn't even able to jump start the car and that's when I noticed the positive cable was really loose behind the clamp. I switched the jumper cable to the fuse box post and it fired right up. Bingo!

I cut snd cleaned both positive cables coming from the battery clamp. There was a lot of external green corrosion but the copper looks fine. I then replaced the clamp with Duralast DL07764 battery cable which has two heavy duty clamps and one accessory splice and now she's good to go. I don't expect any further problems from the cables. I covered everything back up with a generous coating of dialectric grease as usual.

The accessory cable is for my battery tender which makes me wonder if it doesn't contribute to the high corrosion level. Time will tell.

Duralast DL07764