All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

labor costs to replace top?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 PM

labor costs to replace top?

I have a 2000 with the plastic rear window. The window is not completely clouded over, but, it is a little difficult to see out of. I thought I could just buy a replacement rear window, and after calling several different area dealers and getting different answers from each, I got frustrated. One dealer said I'd have to replace the entire top. Another said, yep, order the back window and we will sub the work out to a local shop. The local shop that they referred me to didn't seem to knowledgeable over the phone.

I have seen entire tops, with a glass window, online for around $500 - $600. I have even read some posts about people doing the install themselves. I have no desire to do the install myself. I'm curious to find out how much the labor cost is to do the install, and secondly, who is reputable and knowledgeable enough to do the install (I live in Sacramento, CA).
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 PM

I think ur best bet is to go glass, I know replacing the top is not a 1 2 thing pretty sure it takes a little while to do. There is a DIY if your interested
Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 PM

500-600 and you never have to worry about it again. You can't really beat that dude. You bought yourself a nice car, now put quality work into it. This is not a 93 Tracker (no offense to the fierce off-road Geo crew, but face it those tops are crap!)

GLASS!

I had an 01 for a short period of time, and it was too late for that plastic...My current s2000 has glass and I love it.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 AM

I was quoted at around $650 for the install of a new top with glass...that was a tad too much considering i still had to buy the top for another $550, so i did it myself. It is a pain, but with patience, a free weekend, and a friend's help, its not too bad. Search around for some great write ups on DIY. Another good thing about a DIY is that you feel more "connected" to your s2k...because after some time in the very deep corners of your trunk...you pretty much are connected to your s2k. If you decide to get it installed, i'm sure honda will be glad to take ur money. Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 AM

Hardtopguy.com was selling just a replacement window but its almost as hard to replace as the whole top. Robbins make a damn fine replacement for our cars. Look at the difference in materials though, they offer a couple of different ones for the s2000. If you get the one with the defroster in the glass you have to buy an additional wiring harness for the car to hook it up and it can be exspensive also. If you want a top that will outlast the oem material then Haartz stayfast is the way to go.
Insatallation is also very expensive, I bought a whole top (frame and all) off of a salvage 2002 to put on mine and I was quoted 450 dollars to just to switch them. You and a friend could do it over a weekend, it also gives you chance to really clean the top area of your car.

Last edited by leahysailor; 04-17-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Texas Tech Alumni

When my top got cut, it cost $1k for top/w glass + install. This was from my local dealer
Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Have you tried to clean it

I have used some Flitz plastic window cleaner along with a Flitz ball (Big red ball you attach to drill) to clean my isenglass on my boat did a great job. I got a few more years left it it after the cleaning.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 PM

I'd like to replace the top and get a glass window, however, I'm not sure that I can afford the cost of the top + labor.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Senior Newbie

Just had my top replaced for a rip in the right rear - my service lady said it was warranty even though it was over a year, very happy! She said it was over 1K normally, because Honda only ships the fabric, and they have to remove the seats, rollbars, then the top, restring the top, and reassemble. It takes more than one day, so it's pricy.