All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

New to Forum

Old 10-08-2004, 01:40 PM

New to Forum

I'm new to this forum and am looking for a little bit of advice on a couple topics. I am currently a college student and I'm looking to get a car in a few months, possibly in the spring. I live in Chicago, but I go to school in Nebraska. I've looked at lots of options. I cannot bring my 914 out to Nebraska b/c it is not practical. I've been looking at S2000's, Boxsters, 968's, Evo's and Rx 8's. I'm looking for something right in the area of $20,000 and I've found it difficult to find a nice Boxster or Evo or Rx 8 in that price range. So, I've been looking a lot more at the S2000. I just have a few questions. I will need to transport a fair amount of things from Nebraska to Chicago, like a 20 inch tv and clothes, etc. Would I have enough room in an S2000 to do this? Also, I know the S2000 does not have traction control, and that could be a bad thing in the winter. I will get snow tires, but I've only driven 1 car consistently in snow and that was a 90hp diesel Jetta. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the S2000 in the snow b/c of the lack of traction control? Other than that, I can;t think of too much. I can't wait to drive one and hit that 9,000 rpm redline. Thanks a lot.
Ben
Old 10-09-2004, 07:48 AM

2 seat roadster. So, no not enough room to haul stuff. Your TV defintely won't fit in the trunk and it will be tough to shoehorn it into the passenger seat. Let's face it, the car wasn't made for hauling.

No winter where I live, but this car is balanced for oversteer from the factory. It's not so much the lack of traction control, but the tendency for the rear end to slip out in a flash if you hit VTEC in a corner. (This tendency, of course, is completely on purpose in this car!) Yes, there are people who drive them in the winter, but with the soft top, it's really not going to be a pleasure. I really think the S is not a great daily driver even though it is reliable and relatively comfy for 2.

At the 20K price range, you are looking used anyway, with all the uncertainties that go along with it.

Have you thought about a non-STi WRX? More room, AWD, growing mod community. Should be able to get close to your price for a new one.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:20 AM

Thanks a lot. I have looked into the WRX. one of my friends has one, and I'm not a huge fan. He has been having a few problems with his car, aka, the suspension sucks, the paint is peeling is some places and he has rust someplaces. It is very odd for such a new car. I'll keep looking into things. Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:59 AM

I drive my S2000 all year round but I don't really have to worry about deep snow (I'm in England) but I do find carrying large things somewhat interesting. I had to transfer a lawn mower at the weekend and ended up strapping it in the passenger seat and had the top down. I got some weird looks.

I drive my car on a very regular basis and have found it comfortably for long distances, and warms up nicely in the winter.

For a student car where you are going to be carrying a lot of stuff I would probably choose a different car though.