All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Audio Controls

Old 08-02-2004, 10:32 AM

Audio Controls

Does anybody know of a manufacturer that makes an adapter that can be used to incorporate an aftermarket radio/cd/XM Radio with the factory audio controls on the left side of the dash? If so, can you please provide me with a name or a contact. I am searching so I can replace the factory radio in my 2003 S2000.

THANKS

David
Old 08-02-2004, 12:05 PM
toE

check www.s2ki.com in the electronics forums, up on the sticky threads. off the top of my head, there are 2 options to integrate the controls to aftermarket hus. gd luck!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:25 PM

Let me know if you find out where to get the harness. I will let you know if i find it!

later!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:14 AM

Lucid sells this one:

http://lucidauto.com/Merchant2/merch...y_Code=sonydci

Details are in above link.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:02 PM

The guy that did my stero set up said he found one. i'll ask him who makes it and post it. I believe he said it was around a hundred bucks.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:17 PM

I asked about this at the local high-end stereo shop in my and they said they could do it for an extra $80 on top of the installation fee. Not sure exactly how they would do it but the guys says I would need a relay and they can do it w/o splicing into any wire.

I would suggest checking with reputablecar stereo shop in your area. The place i went to was called Myer-emco in the MD/DC/VA area.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:47 PM

I could be misunderstanding what you are asking here, but are you after a cd player that works with the controls on the dash, just behind the wheel? In which case, Alpine do one.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:46 AM

Yes, i am talking about the radio buttons on the dash. So are you saying that all you need is a cd player? Don't you still need some kind of wiring harness or relay to make the controls work or will the alpine work straight out the box???
Old 10-21-2004, 02:30 PM

You need an adapter which translates the left sided radio controls next to the steering wheel to IR signal (which most in-dash stereos now have). This adapter has a small IR diode that you place near the stereo. This system has been used for OEM steering wheel mounted controls in aftermarket stereos.

http://lucidauto.com/Merchant2/merch...tegory_Code=SP
Old 10-24-2004, 05:23 AM

Hmm, I believe the Alpine worked out of the box unlike all the other ones which needed extra stuff. I also put in extra speakers behind the seats. I like being able to hear my tunes
Old 10-28-2004, 08:37 AM

I've been told this is not possible out of the box.

Kate, I take it you did this in your car? Did you install it yourself or have someone else do it? What model Alpine do you have?
Old 10-30-2004, 01:04 PM

I didn't do it, I bought the car with the stereo already in place, but the previous owner said he had used this model as it was the only one that worked with the audio controls.

I do know I don't have any extra bits or bobs cluttering up the dash. The stereo works fine with the current audio controls.

The previous owner gave me the box for the Alpine stereo (with the original S2000 stereo inside), the model is CDM-7871RM.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:43 AM

Hi all, i'm new to this forum but i'm a fellow s2k enthusiast. I think I may have a few things to add to this thread.

Pretty much no aftermarket CD player will interface with the s2k audio controls out of the box. Well I can 99% say that none will. However, if the CD player you bought has a remote - either a normal infra-red remote or a steering wheel mounted one - there is hope. Being able to use the factory audio controls in the s2k basically means that the CD player needs a connection with those switches. This can be acheived by using a kit which is connected to the factory audio controls and uses a infra-red transmitter to send signals to your CD player (the IR transmitter is a 5mm LED that would probably be mounted in the flip-down bit) or by a connection into the back of the CD player where the steering wheel controls that came with it would otherwise be connected.

The best bet is to contact the manufacturer of the CD player you are thinking of buying to see if a kit is available. Just explain that this may be the difference between buying their product or not and they will be more than happy to help!

By the way, I have a degree in Microelectronic Engineering so if anyone has any techie electronic questions, feel free to email me! Chances are I have already done it to my s2000!

Cheers guys & keep revvin'!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:54 AM

One thing I forgot to ask, Kate, how did you get speakers behind the seats? I would like a little more info, i.e. what kind of speakers and how they are mounted. I have a 4x50w amp running focal splits for the front stage and bridged to a 10" JL Audio sub in a bandpass box in the back. My CD player is a JVC mp3. At the moment i'm trying to improve the bass penetration from the sub in the back into the cabin. I'm thinking another bandpass enclosure (where the speaker is totally inside the box and all sound comes from the port) but built into the well left when the tools and foam bit is taken out. I haven't had any good results by rear-loading the sub - so I think if I angle the port via a 90 degree bend so it's pointing forward, the response should be good.

I would really like to hear anyone elses experiences with trying to get decent bass response in the s2k.

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:48 AM

For speakers behind the seats (I can't believe this is the 3rd time I'm posting this link):

Specializing in all stereo upgrades for S2000. Aftermarket head units, amps, left sided stereo control modifications, rear speakers... it's all there folks; no need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:50 AM

Thanks Halo, soz to make you post that link again... As I said i'm new.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Halo
For speakers behind the seats (I can't believe this is the 3rd time I'm posting this link):

Specializing in all stereo upgrades for S2000. Aftermarket head units, amps, left sided stereo control modifications, rear speakers... it's all there folks; no need to reinvent the wheel.
Well, this is the first time I've seen this link, and I very much appreciate you posting it. Thank you for your persistence and patience. Perhaps whomever is running this forum could make it a sticky?

I will certainly consider Lucid Automotive as soon as I tire of listening to the engine rev.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:53 AM

Sub in the trunk

Works wonders, I dropped a 12" JL audio with an amp into the trunk. The sub is in a custom fiberglass enclosure that takes up the space where the tools and foam used to be and is now level with the rest of the trunk deck (I know there goes half of my space). The tools are wrapped in felt and lodged inside the spare. Since their is no firewall between the trunk and the cabin the sound flows freely.

The stock speakers were also replaced with higher end comonents to match so they wouldn't be overwhelmed.... The enclosure can be removed at anytime by unclipping two wires.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM

This is a great thread! Love the info on car audio.