All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Daily Driver??

Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Arrow Daily Driver??

Hey everyone,

I am still in the search for a good stewie, and well still saving the money for one too, but i was wondering how all of you like it for daily driving, since mine will be one cause i have no other mods of transport. i dont mean to sound dumb and childish but she dont even have cup holders haha (not that big of an issue), but i really want the peroformance and i constantly like going in the twisties on a day to day basis

I just want your noble opinions

Thanks,

Luke
Old 02-24-2008, 08:35 AM
S2K 4 life!!

Ap1 has one cup holder and Ap2 has 2 cup holders. I daily drive mine since i've got it well over a yr ago and love it. I hate when i have to drive others cars or trucks i'm really spoiled to my car. Esp. at night when i have no HID's to see with. It can seem to get cluttered up in there really quick a few empty coke bottles does it for me. But other than that no issues for me drivin her everyday.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Sentient Being

Luke, I'm not a daily driver, I don't see a problem using Stewie as a daily ride. Matter of fact, I think that Stewie will make your commute or running around town a lot of fun. The one codicil I would add is that if you encounter a lot of heavy stop and go traffic on a daily basis like I did here in NYC, shiftin' can be a bit annoying. Other than that, go for it!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 AM

As long as you live somewhere where the weather doesn't get too fierce, it's a great d.d.

jagg
Old 02-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Sentient Being

Good point Jagg. Weather here in the NE has been so mellow, I forgot that Stewie isn't too fond of the cold, snow, and ice. Especially with those summer tires.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:23 AM

I wish I could use mine as a daily
The roads are almost clear up here, funny how I still have ice on my street
Can't wait to get the car out.
The only thing I can add is -- TIRES-- make sure your shoes match your driving habits, so it seems you will need tires that work well in all kinds of weather such as rain

Cheers
Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Site Owner

If you're looking for torque then do not buy a stewie. The gearing makes up for the lack of torque, but it is very low.

I daily drive my 00 AP1 stewie and love it. Sometimes you got to rev it higher than you want to pass people up, but its a very responsive car. Everything you drive after it will seem like you're driving a boat.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Resident Track Whore :)

Mine just turned 115k yesterday on a mountain run and runs better than ever. I wouldn't have any other car.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 PM

The only thing I can add is -- TIRES-- make sure your shoes match your driving habits, so it seems you will need tires that work well in all kinds of weather such as rain
This is solid advice. The single most important item.

jagg
Old 02-24-2008, 03:30 PM
ex-owner :(

I second tires, on every thread that talks about it. Right now I have a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires for the cold.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:12 PM

I've used my S for the last 4 to 5 months and completely love it. It's my only form of transport (besides my racing bike; now that's got pedals not a motor)

People everywhere stare and admire it. People who know about cars give an appreciative nod of approval, people who don't look and admire how good it looks. I've had more compliments about this car than I'd ever imagined I'd get.

As for negatives, on b roads it's a bit hard, but I don't mind. Having said that you US guys have way better roads that I do here. As for driving in heavy traffic it's OK but, again I'd live with it. Road noise can be a bit much at times but the hard roof can sort that out.

It's an absolutely brilliant car as you scream by someone at 6, 7 or 8000 rpm. It's balance, pace, looks and sound are all top drawer. As a sports car pitted against the boxster, the Z4 and others in the US it offers the best overall package in my opinion. The Porsche is slower and uglier, the BMW more expensive and harder a ride than the Honda.

I don't regret ever buying this car. It out ways the bad by miles. The only thing you have to think of is the practicality factor. If you need more than 2 seats, a big boot don't get 1, if not it's Vtec time baby.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:48 PM

bobby2002s2k: Thanks for clearing that up, i was under the impression that it had no cup holders haha well one is better then none and two is even better, however i am sure i will only be able to afford an AP1 so i can do with one. and you guy say tires are huge well i live in Erie, PA and it can get fierce, so studs probably??

and Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

If your locale'z gonna be havin' ya dealin' with temps below 45 F with the possibility'uv snow/sleet conditions there'z nothin' (as in nothing) more important than a winter set'a hoops. You can have your original rims swapped twice a year to the appropriate tires 'r you can get a second set'a rims for the winter skins.
N' if you're a fanatic about keepin' Stewie lookin' like the day you bought it, you don't wanna use it fer a daily driver.
Daily drivin'll have yer Stewie wearin' the scars'uv it's use. 'No avoidin' it.
'Somethin' that you've godda come ta terms with goin' in.
32 thou in shy'a 3 years n' though every time I discover a new dimple 'r scratch on Stewie it still hurts, I wouldn't'a missed one second that I wuz strapped into it n' every opportunity that presented itself fer Stewie n' me ta do that thing Stewie n' me doo.
Java
Old 02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
S2K 4 life!!

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
If your locale'z gonna be havin' ya dealin' with temps below 45 F with the possibility'uv snow/sleet conditions there'z nothin' (as in nothing) more important than a winter set'a hoops. You can have your original rims swapped twice a year to the appropriate tires 'r you can get a second set'a rims for the winter skins.
N' if you're a fanatic about keepin' Stewie lookin' like the day you bought it, you don't wanna use it fer a daily driver.
Daily drivin'll have yer Stewie wearin' the scars'uv it's use. 'No avoidin' it.
'Somethin' that you've godda come ta terms with goin' in.
32 thou in shy'a 3 years n' though every time I discover a new dimple 'r scratch on Stewie it still hurts, I wouldn't'a missed one second that I wuz strapped into it n' every opportunity that presented itself fer Stewie n' me ta do that thing Stewie n' me doo.
Java
Oh, man do i know what your sayin! My front bumper was getting really bad on the very bottom. Or to me i guess i should say. I got fresh paint last week on that front bumper. The guy did awesome Job! But now that is flawless i've set myself up for some holy @#%$ moments when i see the first few nicks.lol. oh well.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

'S'funny bobby, I thought'a you the other night goin' inta work. Went over some frozen slop n' it wuz jus' high enough ta clip my chin a bit.
'Made me think'a you n' your redooin' your chin. 'Wuz jus' glad I didn't have mine redone.
I only look additt when I'm tendin' to it in the warmer weather. I've decided that as I usually cry like a baby when I actually look additt, I don't look additt unless I'm cleanin' it. 'Least then I can say I got soap in my eyes, y'know?
So, where you at now bobby? 'Made the repost yet?
Java
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Yes there is a cup holder. But... it is near useless as
it gets in the way of shifting. The car is such a great
drive, I just toss a water bottle on the other seat. No big deal. If it were, I'd figure out something.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
St00pid Ricer

Mine's my daily driver, in part because I can't really afford to keep two vehicles around. I get along great with it, even in "let's see how many seasons we can go through in a week" Nebraska. She can get squirrely on ice and snow, but with care, it'll glide right over it.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM

good point philiam, thanks for the advice and hell i can always just make the passenger hold my drink if i want to do some good ole twistie driving or just feel like going fast haha

Thanks again everyone
Old 02-24-2008, 10:11 PM

I daily drive my CR. Suspension is bumpy but I got used to it.
The car is a blast to drive everyday.

In the end, it is a honda. It should easily last 150,000 miles as long as it's well maintained.

The only problem I forsee is lack of space. It gets cramped in there really quick.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 AM
ex-owner :(

One of the things that got me into a Honda in the first place was my last car, a 2002 Civic SI. I had 10k to spend, and in the running was the SI with 58k miles, and a 2004 cavalier with 12k miles.

I took both makes and models and flipped the search lowest price to highest price. The average civic at the low end of the market was 4k at 220k miles. While the lowest priced cavalier was 2k at 105k miles. The F motors rev much higher than the 6.8k on the Civic, but I know from the last one, it will happily rev for years.

Even in the snow and ice, I still drive Stewie. I have a beater, but it's more for when I need four seats or a larger trunk. The connected feel you get from the car is what puts me behind the wheel even on less than optimum conditions.

c
Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 AM

ya i cant wait till i can get the feeling, im saving every penny!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Day View Post
good point philiam, thanks for the advice and hell i can always just make the passenger hold my drink if i want to do some good ole twistie driving or just feel like going fast haha

Thanks again everyone
You gotta get one of those plastic hats with drink holders on either side Y'd with a tube to your mouth and paint it the same colour as your car and your all set.

Neil
Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bobby2002s2k. View Post
Ap1 has one cup holder and Ap2 has 2 cup holders.
??? I have an AP2 there are no cup holders.

Anyway..... I use mine as a daily driver and I have no problems, I love it. Sometimes I do wish I had another car just to cut down on the miles that I put on her though.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM

I agree with Sonic.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Philosopher

Hmmm........I have an AP2 with 2 cup holders. I thought that's what the 2 meant in AP2.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM

I think I have the mystery cup holder problem
No food or drink allowed - No exceptions
Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Just saw a gadget at Target today that clips in to a vent to hold
cups, Ipods ofr what have you.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:20 PM

there seems to be a ton of mystery to this cup holder deal. lol i dont care if i have none, its still going to be a blast!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

No mystery AP: Ma'z pencil-protector suits that gave us Stewie godda get their jollies somewhere. The slide-top compartment in the center console (as Phil so accurately pointed out) directly behind the shifter, is the "double cup-holder".
Now, lets go back to our high-school physics class n' see if we can't recall a little thing we memorized long enough to pass a test: Impenetrability- no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time.
To someone wearin' a suit with pocket-protectors 24 hours a day (Yes. The light on the inside'a the refrigerator goes out when you close the door and Ma'z designerz do sleep in their suits) havin' us come up against "double cup holders" that occupy the space needed for our arms to shift the car is high hilarity that they still probably roll on the floor laughin' about everytime one'a them brings it up.

Personally, I use a thermos.
But if you do need a cup holder, I think it's Griots that has a reasonably priced, neat little fold-down unit that's used in some Mercedes n' similar to the onez in the Miataz.
Be well,
Java
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 AM

ok so i have been reading reviews and hearing alot of problems with AP1's grinding 1st to 2nd gears when gettin up in the RPM range. is it a serious problem? and is there anything else i should really look for when shopping for a AP1 stewie?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Resident Track Whore :)

Originally Posted by AP1Day View Post
ok so i have been reading reviews and hearing alot of problems with AP1's grinding 1st to 2nd gears when gettin up in the RPM range. is it a serious problem? and is there anything else i should really look for when shopping for a AP1 stewie?
The ONLY time I remember hearing my car grind from 1st to 2nd is when the engine (and tranny) are still cold. I've never grinded when warm unless I've messed up. On the flipside, I have heard grinding going from 3rd to 2nd more often but that was on the racetrack. It happened twice to me in November, but it very well could have been driver error too. I've also been told by Honda that my synchros were going, but my tranny has 116k miles and a dozen track days on it too.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:36 AM

well i would have to say thats pretty amazing with that many track days and miles on it that makes me happier
Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 AM

I use mine as a daily driver in all weather, I live in Missouri, as long as you don't mind it getting a little tricky in snow it's a great daily driver. I love it.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 PM

how bad is it in the snow? think studs will do some good?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM

I've driven her in the snow. Just depends on the driver. You wanna be a dumbass obviously you aint gonna have a good day. Take your time and she'll take good care of you.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Aaay, if your idea of ownin' a Stewie is chancin' slidin' it into some immoveable object 'r havin' a bunch'a strangers shovin' on it to get you oud'uv'a slippery rut . . then I guess runnin' the summer hoops (which carry warnin's against use in snow) in snow makes sense.
Personally, I'll do whuddever I can to assure the best traction I can when I'm drivin'.
N' AP, I don't know if studs're an option in any of the states anymore.
Go with a sedd'a hoops specifically meant for low temps n' snow.
'Dunno about anybody else, but I laid out a big chunk'a hard-earned for my reason ta be on the site. I'll do whuddever it takes to assure that it goes where I point it n' stops when I say whoa.
Java
Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 PM

good points java, itll be best to get the best i can when it comes to protectn stewie
and what you mean " i dont know if studs are an option in any of the states" i know some states cant use em, but are all going that way?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

'May've been readin' it wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten AP.
Good luck with it.
Java
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Senior Newbie

I love it as a daily driver, 25mi each way. The AP1 was a tad rough after a couple of years but the AP2 is nice and smooth, and still way zoomy when I want it to be (and when I can find a hole in traffic). As for the change compartment, aka cup holders, I quit drinking coffee on the way to work so now it's fine...
Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Havin' the top down most'a the time'z majorly cut down on my coffee addiction Scoot. On the longer trips I'll carry a thermos, but I cannot imagine tryin' to use the "cup-holderz"z cup-holders.
(N' I know you Honda pocket-protector types're readin' this laughin' yer nerdy asses off. Get back ta the drawin' board n' get us some low-end you wild n' crazy guys.)
Java

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daily Driver??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.