Question On AP1 - S2000 Forums

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Question On AP1

Old 07-01-2015, 09:35 PM

Question On AP1

Hi everyone, I am new here to this community. I'm looking at a 2001 S2000 to purchase. I've read around and did some research and found that people were saying that the rear end slips out easy. This brought a little bit of fear to me because I wouldn't want to crash it. Can anyone give me some insight on this? Is this a common thing to happen? Now I won't be driving it on the track, or recklessly or anything. Just regular driving on the street. Also I heard that if you are driving, and say you turn and you let your foot off the gas, the rear end will slide out.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Resident Vigilante

Originally Posted by Andre Le View Post
Hi everyone, I am new here to this community. I'm looking at a 2001 S2000 to purchase. I've read around and did some research and found that people were saying that the rear end slips out easy. This brought a little bit of fear to me because I wouldn't want to crash it. Can anyone give me some insight on this? Is this a common thing to happen? Now I won't be driving it on the track, or recklessly or anything. Just regular driving on the street. Also I heard that if you are driving, and say you turn and you let your foot off the gas, the rear end will slide out.
2000 & 2001 AP-1 variants were much more tail happy than the 03 which will still bite you. Minor changes thru the first 3 years to suspension values helped to ever so slightly reduce the tendency, I think Honda got it right with the AP-2 in making it more friendly when pushed but that incorporated even more changes. The best thing I did to my 01 AP-1 was to go with the Euro/GB alignment specs. This change improved how the car turned, could be set up for a turn and would give a bit of a warning when approaching limits. Prior to that change ...all bets were off. The specs of the year model changes are available here somewhere. You will need to search and yes the car will swap ends on you if you get in over your head which we all have done to a greater or lesser degree in this car. The S2000 will not suffer fools while at the same time making you feel more confident in your abilities. Patience, practice are always the best method in our cars. Now rain? thats another matter entirely. Good luck in your search ...you may want to consider an AP-2 it is better as a daily driver in my opinion.