Is it really mandatory to open bleeder screw before pushing back pistons? - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions
Is it really mandatory to open bleeder screw before pushing back pistons? >

Is it really mandatory to open bleeder screw before pushing back pistons?

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Old 03-14-2015, 01:15 PM

Hello, fellow members.
I'm going to change all brake pads in this week and have few questions. It's my first time changing pads after 50,000 miles in s2k and have only basic knowledge.

after many research, i saw other members highly recommending opening bleeder screw prior to pushing back pistons and bleed brake system as well. However, i had my mechanic flush new brake fluid less than 10,000 miles ago. And i'm not sure if bleeding is necessary this time

Do you guys push back pistons while master cylinder cap is open? or bleeder screw is open?

If i were going to push back pistons while bleeder screw is open, is there any chance air might get in the system?

Please share your opinions!

Thank you

-Joo
Old 03-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Never Slow down

You do not need to open the bleeders when pushing the pistons back into the calipher. You can take the cap off the reservoir and push them back in slowly. When you are finished pump the brake pedal and it should come up and feel hard. If it feels spongy you should bleed the brakes.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:25 PM
just havin' fun

The only reason why you would do that is if the reservoir is already full. When you push back the piston all the fluid will be pushed back and the reservoir will overflow.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:02 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by will williams View Post
The only reason why you would do that is if the reservoir is already full. When you push back the piston all the fluid will be pushed back and the reservoir will overflow.
If overflowing were an issue you could also suck some out of the reservoir.