Gas Tank Capacity - S2000 Forums

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Gas Tank Capacity

Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Top Always Down

Gas Tank Capacity

The other day I was driving to the gas station knowing I was low on gas. I almost made it. I ran out of gas right in front of the station. I looked up our fuel capacity and it says 13.2 Gallons. I topped off my tank and it took 12.35 gallons. WTF? I guess there's some still left below the level of the fuel pump.

I know, I know, don't let the tank get so low. But just think of the weight savings!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM
EYECELLEM

Right when the last bar disappears you have approx 2 gallons left. I've watched as that last bar disappears and reappears (when gas in the tank expands) with hard driving. I've also had cars run out of gas on me and not start when parked on a incline and then start up as I move the vehicle to a flat surface.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Top Always Down

I know I have about 50 miles left when my light comes on consistently at 225 miles. I had 276 miles when the car sputtered out. I was trying to get to my favorite gas station and drove like a granny on the way there. I had to coast about a quarter mile and blow a stop sign. Glad there wasn't a cop around.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Top Always Down

So I'm on my way to the gas station today. Gas light went on at 225 miles as usual. I'm at 253 so I figure that I have 22 miles to go. That's when my car starts sputtering. I hang a u-turn and the car dies. I pushed it on to my street and walked down to get my pickup truck and a gas can. F*ck me. I guess I'll get gas before the light goes on from now on.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:51 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
I've also had cars run out of gas on me and not start when parked on a incline and then start up as I move the vehicle to a flat surface.
That happened to me with my 94 TBird about 2 months ago. Sitting for a light with just a slight incline (1 mile from Costco gas) and it died.

I thought I had an issue with the S. Crossing the Tioga Pass driving about 25-35 because of the scenery. Tank was barely coming down and the miles were racking up. I filled up and was shocked to discover the tank reading was accurate; I was getting 36 mpg! It happened a few times since (great milage) under similar circumstances.

I have seen the tank not register full for a few minutes after fill up. Not sure why. I am paranoid about letting the thing get too low especially since I find myself in the tullies.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 PM
normal aspiration

by my calculation you are getting a little better than 22 mpg. are you driving in vtec all the time? i get 24-25 most of the time. it only drops when i have been burning it up. i have gotten 31 before on a long road trip. man, i hate to run out of gas.

i think the last time i ran out was in my '94 chevy pickup right after i got it. i was trying to get to work and didn't have time to stop--needle was right on E. i figured i had at least a few miles left in the tank. nope. when the ol' chevy says E she means E.

good to see you around dr. jambo.

tullies? you hang in the tullies. not me unless i have to. whatchu doin' there?

not the actual tullies but pretty dang close.