S2000 immobilizer - S2000 Forums

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

S2000 immobilizer

Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 PM

S2000 immobilizer

Hi. i know this is my first post. but i just ran into something really weird today. hopefully someone can help me find some answers.

on my wife's s2k, when we bought it , it only came with one Black master key.
I have a scan tool works with honda T5 keys for programming(function i have never used yet). so i decided to buy a blank T5 keys on ebay (aftermarket key) to see if i can get it to program.

after i received the key i had it cut at local ace hardware. took it home , plug in my scan tool , did a system tested showed immoblizer system normal - key(s) store in ECM - 1 . so i started the program mode ..after tried about 10 times only 1 result = key registration fail .

so i started looking up on google. to see if i can find some answers at the same time i insert the new key i just cut today(NOT yet program) put it to ON position. while doing that i saw a a part of the key was hanging out outside the IGN (the metal key part). so i decided to put my old (programed) key
on top of it (metal to metal) . and the car actually started.... i put the old (programed )key in the cup holder . and push the engine start again. and it did start again..so i hook up the scan tool once again to the car and did a system test again. this time it shows 2 key(s) stored in ECM....

so for whatever reason i have 2 working master key and i don't understand why....
Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 PM
EYECELLEM

Well, looks like you just "hot wired" (not a technical term) your car. If you accomplished what you set out to do, I wouldn't question the how's and the why's, just run with it.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM

The reason i am trying to find an answer, is because i also have a 01 prelude and a 01 3.2 CL. both only came with one master key. i am trying to understand the immobilizer a little better. and also i don't want any car thief to "run with it" with my car ...lol
Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM
EYECELLEM

The only people I know who understand the concept happen to work at the dealership service dept. I doubt they would be forthcoming with what they consider proprietary information. Looks like you accidentally stumbled upon the right method of programming an immobilizer key. I do know of people who have had their newer Hondas with an immobilizer stolen, so nothing is 100% safe.