Hard Top Hoist - S2000 Forums

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Hard Top Hoist

Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Hard Top Hoist

check it out . . . .

http://www.buy.com/prod/garage-space...225147992.html

only $20, has a 100lb capacity, and the OEM hardtop is only 50lb's. think i'm gonna pick this up and see if it'll work. maybe put the hook on the back and the strap in the front.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM
House of CR.

Another option LTWU, and it's specifically for a S2000.

http://www.removabletops.com/hoists/Honda_s2000
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM

yah i was looking at these a while back, but the cheapest option is $228, so i figured i'd try this $20 option out first, and if it's no bueno, then i'll go with one of these, and then i'll have an excuse to buy that sea kayak my wife keeps saying no to =p
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 AM
House of CR.

Aha! Very devious of you. My concern would be the cheaper option might not balance the load or be adjustable enough to handle a hardtop. And the top ain't cheap.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Aha! Very devious of you. My concern would be the cheaper option might not balance the load or be adjustable enough to handle a hardtop. And the top ain't cheap.
not to mention unavailable (OEM) ya? i think it's required that the manufacturer is required to have parts on cars for at least 10 years but don't know if the hardtop counts

and rest assured, i'm gonna have a couple buddies over to try and see if this thing will work. i'm cheap, but definitely not stupid (most of the time)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a bit of experience on this. I had something very simular to the first option and after I had mounted it and struped up the top I tried to raise it off the floor just a foot or so, just in case it fell. Well it did not look/feel stable enough so I never went through with actually using it. I feel like it did not distribute the weight well enough for me to feel comfortable leaving it up above my car. So my take would be to try something that is made for it such as the second option, yeah it's a bit more expensive but then again how much do the tops/cars cost?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM

I used the bicycle hoist from Costco that is the base hoist for lots of uses. IT WORKS GREAT.

I even made a plumb bob to hang from the rear mounting dagger that I used to align the dagger over the rear latch for mounting. Ten minutes on and five minutes off. I think that I mounted and unmounted the top by myself about a hundred times over the three years that I had a hardtop.

A photo of it and a rough diagram of construction are below. Try it. You'll like it a lot.

Last edited by L8Apex; 02-07-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM

snow shovels. wow. it's been awhile since I've seen or used those.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
snow shovels. wow. it's been awhile since I've seen or used those.
Ya, they are archaic. I threw them out and bought a flame thrower.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 PM

Ha! Pics or it didn't happen!

I did at one time live where we needed snow shovels, but it was a long time ago. I hear that same area will need them again for this weekend.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
Ha! Pics or it didn't happen!

I did at one time live where we needed snow shovels, but it was a long time ago. I hear that same area will need them again for this weekend.
I'm in one of those areas, Chicagoland. As I type this there is a Bobcat in my driveway removing a few inches of snow. Moreover, I had to make extra arrangements for somebody to shovel out my mom's house on the North Shore of Boston. I can't believe what folks get for snow shoveling these days.

Why did I ever quit my job in Florida? Why did I then quit my job in "South Jersey" ten years later? A fool is born every day.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Ya, they are archaic. I threw them out and bought a flame thrower.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
I used the bicycle hoist from Costco that is the base hoist for lots of uses. IT WORKS GREAT.

I even made a plumb bob to hang from the rear mounting dagger that I used to align the dagger over the rear latch for mounting. Ten minutes on and five minutes off. I think that I mounted and unmounted the top by myself about a hundred times over the three years that I had a hardtop.

A photo of it and a rough diagram of construction are below. Try it. You'll like it a lot.

I really like this design and finally decided to give it a try. The parts just arrived today but I will still need a piece of 2x4, some white paint, and some decent screws to mount the 2x4 to the rafters.

EDIT:

I finally got around to properly mounting the hoist to the rafters via a support beam and have successfully performed a test hoist on the hardtop. The support beam is extra long in case I want to install an electric winch in the future.

The webbing I am using applies pressure to the window seals so I am rethinking how the front part of the hardtop will be supported. Additionally, the automatic lock on the rear pulley is a great safety feature but a total pain when the top is up since the rope needs to be pulled the other way to disengage it and lower the top. Some rethinking there is required as well...

Last edited by Aphex4000; 03-19-2014 at 09:26 PM.