All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Clutch Engage Issues?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Clutch Engage Issues?

Hello all, I think this is my second post on this website. I have had my S2K (2007 AP2) for about < 3 years now. I am having a clutch issue, or so I think, so please try and level with me as I know a respectable amount about cars, but not a pro.

Just recently, (past 2 months), I have noticed that when I hit high RPM's of 5k+ my clutch pedal feels like it wont push down all the way. Like for example, it feels like there some kind of knot there but as i push down with a little slighter thrust, bam! it goes down all the way and i am able to shift the correct gear in and smoothly I might add

Now this is exactly reversed in low RPM's. I can push the clutch pedal down easily, but when I go to put the car in gear it feel like it goes in halfway and i need the extra thrust on the **** to get the gear to go in all the way (please keep in mind in both scenarios I have always pushed the clutch pedal down all the way to make sure that I was engaging 100% and not missing it)

here are some added and random variables
  • second gear, on my second year of owning the car, started grinding when i put it in
    (and not in a "i missed it" kind of way either) - and yes it always felt notchy from day 1 but that's not what I mean
  • my car from day 1 would idle on startup to 2k RPM and does so until this day, until I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes to warm up, then it goes to normal
  • if I am at a red light, and I put it in neutral, press the break, let go, and press it again, 1 dash on the rpm meter rises and then goes down after about 2 seconds.

I have also tried to floor it in first gear to 8100rpm, and then shift to second with a quick engage and have had no issues engaging perfectly (except from what you read above) - meaning the rpm's dont go shooting up on their own and the car goes nowhere - i forget why I did that test, but someone told me it was to make sure something else wasnt broken on my car

now in my own research, it seems to me that either the slave cylinder or the flywheel need to be replaced - or for all that I know it's completely something else

can something help me diagnose this? and also explain all components that come in a clutch kit because I was thinking of buying a stage 2 aftermarket clutch kit anyway, so I guess I might have to sooner than later

THANKS EVERYONE!

Last edited by ojimal; 10-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
mlc

Sounds like air in the system. Could be the Clutch Master Cylinder going bad.

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps.

https://www.s2000.com/forums/engine-...nder-help.html
Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 PM

^ I had the sticking issue as explained aswell and it turned out to be my master cylinder.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 AM
THE STIG

+1 for air in the system. I wouldn't worry about the RPMs going up to 2K when cold. I believe they all do this (read a thread somewhere else on this).
Old 10-19-2012, 05:56 AM

I also say check for leaks and try to bleed the air. See if that helps before you start throwing parts at it. As far as the rpm rising when you press the brakes at idle, that is completely normal and what it is supposed to do. Your brake master cylinder is assisted by engine vaccuum, so when you start pressing that pedal at idle, the motor has to adjust to compensate.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 PM

Clutch Master Cylinder Replaced

Hello All,

I brought it to Honda to have it checked out and they said it looks like the clutch master cylinder was leaking. They were able to replace it. Upon driving, I noticed that the gears would go in smoother now and engage well, but the clutch pedal still has the same exact issue if not worse at lower RPM's now.

This is very exhausting because they told me everything else looked to be in top shape.

When you are all suggesting there is air inside or to bleed the air - I am newbish - what is meant by air inside and inside what? Also, whatever the answer is to that - how would I go about bleeding the air?

Lastly, do any of you think that its most likely the flywheel causing this issue?

thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 04:52 PM

For some reason i highly doubt that the issue was the clutch master cylinder this early i your S2s life.. Ive heard that the master cylinder normally goes bad based on the age not necessarily the mileage on the car. I have a MY'00 with same CMC that it came out of the factory and ive been having problems with it sticking and feeling extremely soft, but thats probably because the fluid in the CMC looks like mud and i need to flush everything out.

For me, its a personal opinion and preference, i never take my car to Honda because dealerships here are only trying to take your money and sell you bullshit that you may not even need. I would take it to a reputable mechanic, maybe you know someone who has a specific mechanic that he/she only goes to. Dont use dealerships, my brother works at one and he tells me horror stories about the things they do in the shops... Find a recommended mechanic instead.

Hope this helps.

BBD
Old 10-21-2012, 04:06 PM
8200rpm

I was having similar issues in my 05 S2000 recently and thought it was a Master Cylinder issue as well. It was recommended that I replace the slave and master to eliminate the problem if it was either one. Upon taking it to a mechanic, he discovered that my clutch needed to be replaced and it was, "running on rivets" which is NOT a good thing. The gears were very difficult to engage, and every time I pushed the clutch in, it made weird leaking and hissing noises.

I ended up buying a clutch kit from an online dealer (I would mention name but not sure if its against the rules) which included a new flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. After the installation of these items the cars run smoothly and it is a night and day difference between how nice the clutch engages when shifting into a gear.

I would suggest getting a new clutch kit if you have been driving on this clutch for some time.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 AM

i've had the same issue, i thought it was my slave/master.

i also needed to do my clutch.. i replaced my clutch, turns out there was nothing left on it.

problem went away after clutch replacement!!

good luck friend
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Clutch

Yep, most likely the clutch. Somewhere in its life, there was probably a time the stock clutch got abused a bit with the high RPM maneuvers going on. Replace clutch with an upgraded unit and life will be good!... If you suspect air in the hydraulics action, there may be a way to check that by pumping clutch pedal vigorously and feel if there is any change in pedal feel during this exercise.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM

All - Thanks

Thank you all for your input.

Turns out the clutch master cylinder looked alright on the surface but the rubber ring was shredded and the insides were damaged.

The clutch was also an issue - the pressure plate was damaged and the flywheel was too - I got the flywheel resurfaced as it was recommended by Honda

I would have bought an aftermarket clutch kit seeing as I do plan to increase HP at some point.

Although even when some point comes around with everything said and done - forced induction is not only around ~10k but constant maintenance and repairs.
that may be ways away right now in my young age due to financial situations and income - but a more realistic route would be natural aspiration - just all motor

going to go ITB's and etc....and it looks like the stock clutch can hold 290 just fine with never slipping and 300-310 with slipping once in a blue moon.

Not to go anymore off topic - so thanks again!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM

Wow.. i didnt know Ap2's had notorious clutch issues... that really sucks....
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by BBD324 View Post
Ap1 FTW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM

Omg I know, it's pretty bad. Probabably because of the massive 22lb flywheel putting a little more weight and extra slippage than AP1's wearing out the flywheel and pressure plate faster..
First thing I did with my AP2 was Competition stage 2 clutch with lightweight flywheel. Getting an AP1 slave cylinder soon but the clutch is grabbing so quick and precise that I don't really think I need it.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Ap1 FTW!!!!!!!!!!
With you 110% Homie! MY'00 Silverstone all the way! :P
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JDMricist View Post
Omg I know, it's pretty bad. Probabably because of the massive 22lb flywheel putting a little more weight and extra slippage than AP1's wearing out the flywheel and pressure plate faster..
First thing I did with my AP2 was Competition stage 2 clutch with lightweight flywheel. Getting an AP1 slave cylinder soon but the clutch is grabbing so quick and precise that I don't really think I need it.
That was a good move you did in the beginning and saved you some headaches.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM
THE STIG

Hells yeah buddy!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Hells yeah buddy!