Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions
What are the signs of telling if your s has been turbo'd in the past? >

What are the signs of telling if your s has been turbo'd in the past?

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 PM

Hi, after finding out many locals have turbo's their S in the past, and me purchasing a car locally, I'm kind of wondering if my car has been turbo'd in the past.

My battery is still located in the engine bay, the heatshield between the battery and exhaust manifold is MIA. Stock intake box but the white valve was flipped incorrectly and the intake sensor valve was missing the top cylinder filter/cover.

front bumper on the ap2 doesn't have any cuts on the vents, but i'm sure thats not a requirement for a turbo setup.

Any other little details I should look out for?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 AM
EYECELLEM

How does it drive?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 PM

drives fine.

things that do bother me a little bit:

when I'm at a stop and shift to first or any other gear the car jerks slightly with the clutch pedal still fully to the floor. -I can avoid it most of the time by shifting very delicately to first.

- cv click will take care of later

-slight rpm drop randomly if I rev or turn the wheel. only happens once randomly. never consecutively.

-I'm getting around 180 a tank, and my idle rpm is at 1000. sometimes one bar below 1000

^^^^^^^^^^^^^those aren't really things I can use to assess any signs of turbo in the past.

Today I noticed one of my exhaust manifold bolts closest to the nose of the car is missing.

Things I replaced
-spark plugs gapped properly
- timing belt dayco belt
-fresh oil with honda filter with crush washer
-oem air filter
-cabin filter (mmm fresh)
-intake bypass valve sensor (was throwing a code, not anymore!)
-tons of other wear and tear items that doesn't involve the mechanics.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by gettouched View Post
drives fine.

things that do bother me a little bit:

when I'm at a stop and shift to first or any other gear the car jerks slightly with the clutch pedal still fully to the floor. -I can avoid it most of the time by shifting very delicately to first. clutch--might be the clutch, or the clutch master or slave cylinders, or low clutch fluid; any other shifting issues? did you check / replace the clutch fluid? (brake fluid?--not related to the clutch but if you are bleeding the clutch, you might as well. it's in the neighborhood--sort of.

- cv click will take care of later there is a fix for that.

-slight rpm drop randomly if I rev or turn the wheel. only happens once randomly. never consecutively. when i rev the rpm go up!! how slight does it drop when it comes back down? when you turn the wheel? i don't know about that one, but it ain't the power steering pump or a lack of fluid.

-I'm getting around 180 a tank, and my idle rpm is at 1000. sometimes one bar below 1000 should get around 25 mpg if you are not driving the **** out of it. 180/12 = 15. if i get 15 mpg, i been thrashin' it. not good. idle rpm is perfect at 900-1000 rpm.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^those aren't really things I can use to assess any signs of turbo in the past. i cannot help you with the turbo thing.

Today I noticed one of my exhaust manifold bolts closest to the nose of the car is missing. could have had a header on it?

Things I replaced
-spark plugs gapped properly always good if you need them
- timing belt dayco belt i hope you meant serpentine belt--another good thing
-fresh oil with honda filter with crush washer you can reuse the crush washer.
-oem air filter very good
-cabin filter (mmm fresh) also very good; it was terrible nasty, wasn't it?
-intake bypass valve sensor (was throwing a code, not anymore!)
-tons of other wear and tear items that doesn't involve the mechanics.

advise year and mileage, and color. pics would help.

any way to research the VIN and contact a previous owner?

best i can do. i ain't much of a mechanic.

have you changed:

transmission fluid;
differential fluid;
coolant?
added windshield washer fluid?
bb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 07-28-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: rackin' my brain...
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Party Rock Crew

I would take the front bumper off and look at the plastic pieces to the left and right of the radiator...I would think that they would have large holes for the IC pipes to go through.

Missing exhaust manifold bolts are curious... along with no heat shield. The batter does not have to be relocated on all applications of turbo, I think it depends on the style of manifold they use.

Another thing that would be apparent is the oil pan...any extra holes welded up? Of course they could have just put on a different one.

Sometimes it is obvious and sometimes it would not be detectable...lots of guys save the OE stuff to put back on to sell.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM

whats bb? berlina black?

anyways thanks Star, I will def check that out. I think that will seal the deal.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by gettouched View Post
whats bb? berlina black?

yeah; an' black beauty, an' me.