All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

s2000 Died on start up, Weather maybe?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM

s2000 Died on start up, Weather maybe?

So i just picked up an AP1 the other day. I love the car but it came with so many things to maintain. I changed out the spark plugs, serpentine belt, and oil lines that were leaking oil. Anyways today after thinking that everything was dandy again i come to start up the car and it died. It fired at high RPMS, than dropped low like it usually does, but this time to low that it died. I was thinking it was because the weather is changing. But from what i read throughout the forums they say that it is normal for AP1's to die when its cold. Last night when i drove the car it was about 32 degrees outside, this afternoon when i started it it's about 70degrees. This never happened before i dont want to have another project on the car. Im broke!!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM

What oil lines are you talking about that were leaking? Did it throw a CEL when it did this?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM

No the CEL didnt go on when it did this, nothing really happened. It just stalled and it fired up again like normal. And the oil lines around the oil filter, and the one that leads up to the oil pressure sensor
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
House of CR.

Sounds like you are dealing with a poorly maintained car which has become too expensive for you to fix. As rattpak stated, are you showing any codes on your dash display? What fuel are you using, 91-93 octane I hope. Is the car stock or modified? Did it ever run /idle correctly when you bought it?

I'm thinking your S may need to relearn the OEM ECU/idle settings, but I'll wait till you
reply to elaborate the procedure.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Bug Zapper

Normal for AP1s to die when its cold??? I dont think so...
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM

I am dealing with a poorly maintained S i think. And its not showing any codes on the dash display. And im always using shells v-power gas for the car. I gave it new sparkplugs, changed the belt, and fixed cleaned the lines. The car is all stock except for a cold air intake. And it alwaus runs/idles properly when i bought the car and still does. Its just when i started the car this morning it sparked up and the rpms dropped like always, but this time to low and it died. Someone on the forums said that this is normal when their is drastic weather change.

The weather was around 30 degrees last night when i ran it, and this afternoon it was about 70 degrees outside. I think that caused the ECU to flip out. but I could always use help, being my Daily i do not want it not to start up one day
Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 PM

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1881188
I was reading this, so i thought it happened to me. The RPMS on start up : Start up> shoots to 1.5k, Drops to 800 for a split second, than shoots up to the 2k cold start.

Last edited by tpham18nm; 03-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Normal for AP1s to die when its cold??? I dont think so...

Yeah right, It has not been that cold this winter, but it has dropped into the 30's a couple of days, and my AP1 started and ran as USUAL.

I have had zero problems with my car starting in the cold or the hot...when it was stock or now. Is this an ongoing issue or just the one time this morning? And as asked before, are you running 93 Octane fuel?

I will say you can reset the ECU and that could... I say could, help. Just remove the fuse for about 5 minutes, replace it and start the car, let it idle for like 10 minutes and don't do a thing...let the ECU learn everything over.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 PM

what fuse should i pull? i think its easier if i just take out one of the battery terminals? it'll do the same thing right? and it just happened this one morning. I been using only 91 octane fuel. Im going to do a map-whack when i get home and go from there. It usually starts up fine every morning just this once it stalled. i just find it weird that the rpms shoot up to 1.5 in initial start up, than to 800 and than back up to 2000
Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM
House of CR.

Pull the positive battery cable, leave it off for several minutes. Then re-install the cable and start the car holding the rev's at 3000 rpm till three bars are on the temp gauge. Then let it idle for several more minutes. It should then have re learned the idle and ECU settings. This should help, keep us informed.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM

The car was already hot from me running back and fourth to places. Anyways when i got home i pulled the Backup fuse under the dash and left it off for 15 mins. Than cranked it and let it idle for another 15 mins. shut if off and started it again. (someone told me this would reset the ecu) before i got to read your post; about holding it at 3000 rpms. Ill see tomorrow when i leave it overnight. I still have to run around so the car is usually never cold until the next morning. I also cleaned the Map sensor on top of the engine, hopefully that'll help to. We'll see tomorrow.

Their is still a little, tiny tiny tiny bit of oil seepage at the oil pressure sensor, im not sure what else to do with it. Its not making enough oil to actually drip but i can still make my finger shiny by rubbing it. i guess i should just leave it? i been checking it for 3 days already. Im a lil ocd about my cars.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM

Occasionally during the winter my car will have a rough start up, but this is rare. It does/can happen and usually isn't anything to worry about. Maybe it dying was a fluke or maybe you didn't hold the button long enough to let it start? One thing I learned was to turn the key and let the fuel system pressurize for a few seconds, then start the car. If it does start and then bog, don't do anything. Let it recover, and if it dies, let it die and restart it. Unless you notice a decrease in performance, gas mileage or strange noises, you should be fine.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM
House of CR.

How did it idle this evening, any fluctuation? It's also possible you could have some debris/water in your fuel which caused a momentary stall issue.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 AM
THE STIG

This past summer I had a problem with my idle. It would stall as a came to a stop sometimes and also if I it the gas when in neutral it would sometimes die as the rpms dropped. Eventually a check engine light came on. I cleaned the MAP, TPS and IAC and it has been fine since. The code was some sort of TPS code. Try cleaning out those sensors with a little carb cleaner.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by tpham18nm View Post
The car was already hot from me running back and fourth to places. Anyways when i got home i pulled the Backup fuse under the dash and left it off for 15 mins. Than cranked it and let it idle for another 15 mins. shut if off and started it again. (someone told me this would reset the ecu) before i got to read your post; about holding it at 3000 rpms. Ill see tomorrow when i leave it overnight. I still have to run around so the car is usually never cold until the next morning. I also cleaned the Map sensor on top of the engine, hopefully that'll help to. We'll see tomorrow.

Their is still a little, tiny tiny tiny bit of oil seepage at the oil pressure sensor, im not sure what else to do with it. Its not making enough oil to actually drip but i can still make my finger shiny by rubbing it. i guess i should just leave it? i been checking it for 3 days already. Im a lil ocd about my cars.
When my car was stock, I changed the air box to a FIPK, and did the fuse pull and let it idle, never held it at 3K, it worked out fine.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM

It idles prefect in the afternoon, and even after it stars up un the morning. I actually found a trick to start my s2k. I just have to prime the engine twice on start up. Meaning that I turn the key, wait for it to pressurize, than repeat. After that it starts without bogging. Ill confirm my methods tommorrow morning.might be looking into a new fuel pump
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 AM
(deactivated account)

Originally Posted by tpham18nm View Post
I just have to prime the engine twice on start up. Meaning that I turn the key, wait for it to pressurize, than repeat. After that it starts without bogging. Ill confirm my methods tommorrow morning.might be looking into a new fuel pump
Or perhaps your injectors are leaking down while the car sits.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Nope priming it twice doesn't work, so it might not be the pump. hasn't stalled lately though just bogswhat else should I check? How do I see an injector leak?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Ah finally the car Gave me a hint. Happy day ol happy day:

Here is where the problem lies, im having horrible cold start issues in the morning after i let it sit overnight. While doing research on the other forums alot of people were saying its the ECU learning. However after 2 weeks of it learning im beginning to think that my s2k either has dyslexia or a problem. Luckly today it finally gave me a hint. CEL

The problem: In the morning when i try to start the car it'll usually sputter alive acting like its running very low on fuel. Sometimes it'll stall out other tmes it'll sputter alive. After the initial start up the car will be fine for the rest of the day. After the CEL light went on today it idles a little low, sputters here and there, and seems like it lost a little bit of power. Either that or its running in a "limp mode" (if that exists).

In order to fix the problem i:
Changed the battery
Changed the spark plugs (Coils seem good)
Changed the serpentine belt
Performed and clean the Map Sensor or Map Whack
Changed my CAI's filter
Put 5-30 syn oil in to possible help the cold starts

Of course nothing worked. And today the car finally releases a hint.

P0131- Definition Heated oxygen sensor- Bank 1 sensor (H02S11) Low voltage

Probable cause oxygen sensor defective
fuel system running lean-check other codes first
Engine Vacuum Leak or misfire-repair
Low Fuel Pressure-fuel pump defective

I think its the fuel pressure regulator. Possible opinions?