Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions
...singin' in the rain, just singin' in the rain...i'm happy again >

...singin' in the rain, just singin' in the rain...i'm happy again

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 AM
normal aspiration

i was bleary eyed and sleep deprived as i settled in bb's cockpit at 05:55. it was dark and foggy in the mountains and i had to drive 150 miles on the back roads to home. new advan 08s adorn bb's corners, pressure is correct and the crankcase measures full. press start and idle up for a few minutes. ambient temp is 50. at 06:00 i slide into first gear and release the clutch. i'm off.

i had driven up a few days earlier using the same route and bb felt glued to the road as always. the yokohamas were sticky, as they should be. it was a fun drive at the speed limit, with some nice twisties.

this morning as i change lanes, it feels as if bb slides over the lane striping. vsc does not come on. the roadway is rough and i feel every bump and tar strip in the pavement. bb is loud and growls constantly. sometimes one forgets how rough edged an S2000 is, but this morning it is brought to my stark attention.

the road is wet, the rain is misty, and the fog is thick; 50 mph using only the low beams makes holding it between the lines a real-life video game. stressful and fun--i like this kind of driving challenge. yokels in pick up trucks were passing me. i don't know how as i felt that i was at the visual limit for the conditions. their eyes must have been better than mine or their BAC higher.

the conditions persisted for the first half of the trip. every time i changed lanes or went into a curve it felt as if bb was slipping and sliding. my speed was never excessive; it was conservative if not down right prudent. it was dark. the vsc symbol remained un-illuminated. i could never shake the feeling that i was going to bring the rear around in a corner or that i was going to slide into the guard rail. i was having fun trying to conquer the conditions but having a tough time keeping myself under control.

at around 07:30 the light from the sun began to make an appearance although old sol himself would not show for many more hours. as soon as i could see, with the fog lifting, but the rain still falling, the slippery feeling fell away. i was still careful in the corners but i was glued down. a three mile stretch of interstate and then back to a back road, this one smooth and wide, curvy but friendly. not a problem in the world, smooth as glass, and nary a slip or slide. i made it home shortly, safe and sound.

the purpose of this little story is to ask these questions of you drivers out there. if i was slipping or sliding, the vsc light would come on, would it not? does anyone else have this same feeling under these conditions; that out of control, i don't trust my tires or my car feeling? i can't say that bb is the culprit as i have the same issues in my camry or my pick up, and both of those vehicles are well maintained and have very good rubber. help me here, please!

bb
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
the purpose of this little story is to ask these questions of you drivers out there. if i was slipping or sliding, the vsc light would come on, would it not? does anyone else have this same feeling under these conditions; that out of control, i don't trust my tires or my car feeling? i can't say that bb is the culprit as i have the same issues in my camry or my pick up, and both of those vehicles are well maintained and have very good rubber. help me here, please!

bb
The VSA would not necessarily come on. There are accelerometers that determine when the car activates the VSA. If you don't exceed that threshold, it doesn't kick in. It sounds like you never got to the activation point.

I've had that feeling a number of times, usually when the temps are at that "not quite warm enough" time. Even though the ambient temp may have been around 50 degrees, that doesn't mean the road surface and tire temps were at the proper temps. At the Brown County Drive last October, I didn't feel comfortable until we'd been driving more than an hour. I could feel the car settle and the grip increase.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM
normal aspiration

i thought that if i broke traction the vsc would activate and the warning light would illuminate in the dash?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM
THE STIG

I cannot comment on the operation of the VSA as I don't have it. To my understanding it allows for a little bit of slippage but not an overwhelming amount.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Ain't got nothin'add'I'm gonna be able'da tell'yuh drivin'-wize beeb.
Budd'I will tell'yuh'add'I caught myself smilin'z'I wuzz readin'bou'cher exploitz.
'Prob'ly'z godd'a'doo widd'all'a'doze yearz'a grain-alky.

Tire pressurez.
Whut were'yuh runnin' fuh tire pressurez?
"Correct pressure''z'nodd'alwayz correct pressure, y'know?

Last edited by Java Junky; 01-10-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 AM
normal aspiration

i'z runnin' 32 psi as always and recommended in my owner's manual of arms. i don't get fancy and try to out think myself in respect to my tire pressure.

you should probably ease off'a the grain and go to something like wild turkey at 101 proof.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Nah.
'Grain-alky wuzz'inn reference'da'you Daisy Mae.
Doze Advanz get good ink when'ey're tested'n 'can't fault 32.

Prob'ly jus' gettin' on'in age (not me, not'da tirez) 'n'yer less adventerous feminine side'z influencin'yer drivin'.

(Note to self: don't accept any callz from Murph ferr'a while.)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 AM
House of CR.

BB, first off there are so many variables that contribute to your cars handling. The biggest one you touched on was the outside temp./rain. Even your alignment can affect how balanced your car will feel and react under wet conditions. A UTOG 180 tire needs heat to effectively have it's sticky properties, a surface that has an inherent oily sheen and low temps. can be a handful. Add in off camber turns, irregular road surface, differing road materials (asphalt to cement and vice versa) all contribute to a "loose" feeling car under those conditions.
You might try a higher tire pressure. I don't know your tire sizes, I run slightly higher psi's in my 225/255.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 AM

doesn't sound so much like slipping and sliding, but more like some soft tire wallow.

Stewie doesn't feel as planted when the temps dip below a certain point, and it actually does get more noisy and rougher, if that's even possible.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
i thought that if i broke traction the vsc would activate and the warning light would illuminate in the dash?
I've pushed my car pretty hard in some corners to see what it takes to activate it. It definitely takes more than my wife's Pilot to activate. Seems like the Pilot VSA will activate in a heavy dew...the S2k, not so much. You have to "upset" the accelerometers to get it to activate and if you're not doing that, it ignores what's going on...(maybe it's a bit more aggressive than on passenger vehicles?)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Bug Zapper

Does the light on VSA equipped S2000s come on under all intervention circumstances or only when it comes on strong? In some cars I think it only lights up when it working hard.

I have hardly seen it in my WRX except on gravel roads. Then again its AWD.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
House of CR.

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
I've pushed my car pretty hard in some corners to see what it takes to activate it. It definitely takes more than my wife's Pilot to activate. Seems like the Pilot VSA will activate in a heavy dew...the S2k, not so much. You have to "upset" the accelerometers to get it to activate and if you're not doing that, it ignores what's going on...(maybe it's a bit more aggressive than on passenger vehicles?)
Ken,
I'm wondering if the CR's VSA has a different threshold where it engages versus a base model? I haven't driven my '07 in a while to form a serious comparison.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Ken,
I'm wondering if the CR's VSA has a different threshold where it engages versus a base model? I haven't driven my '07 in a while to form a serious comparison.
Kinda hard to get used to them all when you have 4 eh VP??
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 AM

I know temp affects my Goodyear tires big time. I switched to 17's last summer which already had tires on them. I was getting to know the car all over again and really liking how it handled(even with the lower grip Goodyears)...then the seasons started to change and the temps dropped. Man what a difference. All the limits I thought I knew were out the door. The first really cold morning I ended up going through a intersection near my house in a Tsuchiya drift. I felt the tail let go and since I had room to play I just drove it out. What fun! That might have left a few morning commuters wide eyed though. Hahaha
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM
EYECELLEM

How many miles on the new tires? New tires need at least 200 to 300 miles b4 they break in...some type of coating from the molding process that needs to wear out b4 they reach optimum grip. Maybe this was more of a "feel" of slipping/sliding coming thru the steering column, than actual tire slippage, or the vsa would've kicked in.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
House of CR.

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Kinda hard to get used to them all when you have 4 eh VP??
Switch, each one is unique and different.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Ken,
Quite possible. The suspension is much tighter so that may have called for a change in VSA limits.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Driving through mud (not gravel) in my cr-v activates the vsa on it. The more I press the petal, the faster it blinks. I have to turn it off to get through it. It applies the brake, and I'm trying to give it the gas.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 AM
normal aspiration

thanks for the responses.

i probably shouldn't be so skittish. no reason that bb would drive different in the light than in the dark--all other conditions were the same.

the VSA light never came on as it should have if i was truly slippin' and slidin'. i am convinced that this is all in my head.

although the speeds were slow, around 50 mph, conditions were extreme. the white lines on the highway were in my face like the heads-up instrument display in a corvette. fog does create some interesting visuals.

i can think of no reason why an S2000 with excellent rubber should come unglued in the rain at 50 mph except in the case of some violent inputs, or hydroplaning.

i guess i just need more practice. i'll try to get it.

bb
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Fess'upp beebster . . you jus' ain't happy'n comfortable widdou'cha got'da weight'uv'a full tank'a juice on board.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 AM

I've never noticed mine coming on when its just raining.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Fess'upp beebster . . you jus' ain't happy'n comfortable widdou'cha got'da weight'uv'a full tank'a juice on board.
considerin' that the payload for the S2000 is only 400 pounds, i can't haul much hooch. i weigh 240 so that only leaves 160 pounds for alky and my teethbrush. thats only about 24.5 gallons. who's to say i wasn't fully loaded--i was leavin' the high (for the east coast) mountains where the good stuff is still made.

shine on,

bb
Old 01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Got S2000?

I've driven a few miles with close to 500 lbs in the car (3 people). Not fun. Not fun at all!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
I've driven a few miles with close to 500 lbs in the car (3 people). Not fun. Not fun at all!
How'd you get 3 people in the S??
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Jim'z from Philly.
Yuh doan wanna be checkin'a trunk officer.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Jim'z from Philly.
Yuh doan wanna be checkin'a trunk officer.
Forgot about that JJ. Thanks!