All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Hard top / soft top questions

Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Hard top / soft top questions

My daily commute has increased to about 2hrs each way. While I love my S2k and have taken it on a few nice days, it's a bit much for that long. By that specifically I mean the noise. It's loud with the top down for sure but is still pretty loud with the top up. I suspect it's standard and isn't a problem on somewhat shorter drives for me, but ...

I'm wondering if it's worth looking into a hard top for the winter. But if I do, do I have to remove the existing soft top? That sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by dts2000 View Post
My daily commute has increased to about 2hrs each way. While I love my S2k and have taken it on a few nice days, it's a bit much for that long. By that specifically I mean the noise. It's loud with the top down for sure but is still pretty loud with the top up. I suspect it's standard and isn't a problem on somewhat shorter drives for me, but ...

I'm wondering if it's worth looking into a hard top for the winter. But if I do, do I have to remove the existing soft top? That sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
No you don't have to remove the soft top. You do need to add the hardtop hardware(rear brackets and panels to accept the hardtop latches, and front strikers for early cars). After you add the hardware the hardtop will just latch on with the soft top sitting in the down position. It's really easy to put the top on and off with OEM hardware. The the top is really light too.

That said, the S2000 is still a loud car. My '01 has a hardtop but you still get a lot of road noise on the highway. The S2000, especially the AP1, is no grand tourer. That's part of the appeal but it's also a problem if you are spending that much time in the car.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM

I forgot to say that I AM a hardtop guy though. I like mine so much that I removed my soft top and put it long term storage. It's worth every penny IMHO. The car feels much more solid with the hardtop on. I guess I like the coupe feel more than the roadster feel...
Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Me and Ryan both. I have the OEM hardtop and removed the soft top. But you can keep the soft top. But it's still noisy though. It'll never really be a quiet car. I personally like the noise. Mine is a DD and I love it.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

I've had a hardtop with both my S2ks. For colder weather it's the only way to go. The car is considerably quieter with the hardtop (not Rolls-Royce quiet but you don't expect that anyway). My +1 much prefers the hardtop.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 AM

Before you spend all that money on a hardtop. I would consider replacing your soft top catchers and maybe even your seals. I don't feel my S2000 is especially noisy with the soft top. While I'm sure it is quieter with a hardtop, I've driven on several long (500+ miles) trips with my S2000 and not once did I long for a hardtop.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
not once did I long for a hardtop.
But have you ever driven a long way in a S2k with a hard-top? You'd be surprised at the difference. I agree that he may just have worn seals or the catches may need adjustment or replacement, but....hardtops sure make the car quieter and with Winter coming, considerably warmer.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Bug Zapper

I think the car is noisier with the top up than down. Maybe thats just me. I read on s2ki about someone who added more sound deadening to the inside of the rear wheel wells and said that helped seperate them from a lot of the tire/exhaust noise.

I have to ask:

Have you considered moving? 2hours is a LONG way to drive. I hope you are making the big bucks
Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 AM
House of CR.

If your looking for a quiet sport car, consider another car, the S is noisy top up or off. Now, I agree they are "quieter" with the hardtop. Enough so that you can hold a normal conversation without yelling. Coming from a CR with no insulation, the base S is indeed quiet in comparison and the hardtop makes winter driving much more enjoyable.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Have you considered moving? 2hours is a LONG way to drive.
My thought, too. I love my S2K but 4 hours a day in it would get old quick. I would definitely look into a luxury tourer for that kind of commute.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 AM

I think after 4 hours in ANY car every single day you'll find things that annoy you about it. That's just too much time contemplating!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
I think after 4 hours in ANY car every single day you'll find things that annoy you about it. That's just too much time contemplating!
Another resurrection.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM

Yes sir, new to this forum but not forums in general so I actually google search topics before starting new threads!

I need to figure out how to get the soft top back into the car. I am mainly concerned with the pattern of HOW to put it back in and a hardware list that I'm likely missing.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:29 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
Yes sir, new to this forum but not forums in general so I actually google search topics before starting new threads!

I need to figure out how to get the soft top back into the car. I am mainly concerned with the pattern of HOW to put it back in and a hardware list that I'm likely missing.
You might want to also search on S2KI.com and S2KCA.com.