All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Alarm issues

Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 AM

Alarm issues

Hi,

Any help/ideas with the following would be appreciated.

Have had my S2000 for over a year without any issues. I haven't driven it for three weeks but have otherwise used it fairly consistently.

Went to open the car this morning and the alarm went off when I pressed the "open" button. The door would then not open, despite me pressing the "open" button a couple of times. The boot, however, would.

I eventually used the key to open the door, which set a whole new and louder alarm off. I thought this would all stop as and when I tried to turn the car over. It did not and the car will not start.

The alarm stops after a while but, as soon as I put the key back in the ignition, it starts again.

I am thinking a) the immobiliser needs resetting or b) it/the electronic key is screwed. Any ideas how to reset it? Or anything else I could do to try and overcome this?

Otherwise, think it will be on the back of a truck to a Honda dealer pretty soon for an expensive trip!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 AM
EYECELLEM

The car did not come from Honda with an alarm system. So, you either have an aftermarket or the Honda accessory alarm system. Try replacing the battery in your key fob. A weak battery may not be sending a signal to the system to disarm it and unlock your door.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Hmm, ok. Thought they did. Mine is a UK car if that makes any difference.

Either way that is useful, thank you. I will try that.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

reminds me of jeremy clarkson's immobiliser issues on his ford gt.

the car didn't come with an alarm but his insurance company mandated that one be installed otherwise they wouldn't insure it.

is that standard practice over there?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

i'd also check your battery. an almost dead battery usually makes alarm systems freak out. can you pull the battery and take it to an auto shop to get tested?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM

My 04 UK registered car has developed a new alarm feature! When I put the car in the garage, I lock it using the remote or rely on auto re-lock. Then when I close the garage door (a metal "up and over" type door), the car alarm sometimes goes off. Anybody any ideas, I didn't think the alarm had any sort of proximity sensing capability or is it a change in air pressure setting some form of internal motion sensor (in which case why doesn't it go off when my cat sleeps on the hood when the car is parked outside in the sun)?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Bug Zapper

As mentioned above, S2000s didnt come with an alarm so yours is aftermarket. There is a good chance it does have some sort of proximity sensor. My aftermarket alarm does.

Mine goes off all sorts of random times and sometimes not at all when it should. Just the nature of alarms I guess.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 PM
EYECELLEM

^^proximity or noise setting it off? When it's quiet (at nighttime), the sound of the sliding door may be setting it off
Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. No it's not an aftermarket alarm, the car is stock UK spec. As for noise, now I always close the garage door slowly (in case it's a change of pressure thing) so door closure is quiet. Carry on being mystified I guess.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
The car did not come from Honda with an alarm system. So, you either have an aftermarket or the Honda accessory alarm system. Try replacing the battery in your key fob. A weak battery may not be sending a signal to the system to disarm it and unlock your door.
I have a 2000 and a 2002 and they both have honda oem alarms.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
EYECELLEM

^^Yes, if your car is US spec, it was installed at the dealership as an OEM accessory. It does not come from Honda with an alarm already in place. The remote entry is simply that, remote entry with panic button.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Custom User Title

Alittle off topic but does do the alarms from honda actually work? Ever since I had the car Ive never heard the alarm go off for any reason.. The clicker and everything works, just you can probably get inside the car and roll it down the street and the alarm wont say a word.. I think it wants to be stolen..