All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Thoughts On Salvaged Titles

Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM

Thoughts On Salvaged Titles

Whats everybody's thoughts on salvaged title for a 2000-2001 S2000(obviously, LOL) I have always treated Salvages as no way gonna touch that, but now, I really want one of these cars and if I can get one for a bargain, I wanna keep all doors open if at all possible. The car will be secondary fun, auto x car, not a daily driver, but I will drive it a bunch I am sure. So what do you guys think?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Depends on the how it was salvaged. Massive damage vs. theft and chop vs. etc..

Insurance would be iffy on salvage titles as well. I wouldn't suggest it. There are plenty of great deals out there for S2000's that are fine.

Plus, it sucks to trying to resell it.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by TygerRawR View Post

Insurance would be iffy on salvage titles as well. I wouldn't suggest it. There are plenty of great deals out there for S2000's that are fine.

All very good points. How about if the cars was salvaged because of seat theft? I know the seats are expensive, but is that scenario even feasible considering the overall worth of the car?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Got S2000?

I remember this being discussed a long while back. I'm sure it happens...ya know, for a high mileage car that's showing it's age. The price of 2 new seats (along with replacing the sliced top that usually goes with it) can be pretty expensive. Maybe add in some missing headlights and a steering wheel, and it's pretty much over.

I would probably be okay taking a car with a salvaged title due to theft (it's very possible to have the missing stuff properly replaced). But I'd stay away from bad crashes or flood cars - they can give you problems down the road.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Chief Hata in Charge

I could see it if they cut the top and took out the interior. Typer had two of them from Florida with what equates to salvage titles because of cut roofs and stolen seats, clusters, steering wheels etc.
So if in fact that is the case then it would not be due to a flood or serious physical damage incurred during an accident but rather by the gentle hands of a thief
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Have it looked over by a good frame shop and a certified Honda mechanic. If the integrity of the frame is damaged, it can be fatal. Years ago I bought a salvaged Accord. It checked out and the price was right. Gave me years of good service.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by TygerRawR View Post

yah, if you get one hope you plan on hanging onto it for a while. re-selling salvages suck
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 AM

I guess it depends on how "good" a deal and how much it would cost to make right. Car would never have a decent resale but if it if the toal cost were right it could be worth it just for the fun of driving.

Don't put on the "rose colored glasses" regarding these costs just because you're excited about the car.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

if you're buying a salvage car you probably arent going to be selling it anytime soon. i wouldnt hesitate to buy a salvage titled S if it were due to seat theft, etc.

i dont give a **** if it has a salvage title or not, its all about the price being right. knowing you got a bad *** deal on a perfectly fine car that was salvaged for non accident reasons? DO IT!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM

Ive bought close to 14 salvarge cars over the years (BMW's, Dodge trucks but mostly Hondas and Acuras) all about 4-6 years old at the time i bought it. I have absolutely no problems with buying a salvage vehile but under a few conditions.... First, stay away from flood damage vehicles: it not only increases the potential for major rust damage later on, it causes all sorts of havoc with electrical systems down the road. Second, Buy cars with relatively low mileage: I only buys cars with under 60k. Third, buy from a place who is reputable and does this all the time. If you go to their yard and always see people there looking through the new cars they bring back, its a solid sign that they get a lot of business (and usually a lot of repeat business if they bring back good cars). Check the interior and see what condition its in. if its clean and in good shape, usually the previous owners took good care of the car. Everyone of my cars has been fantastic and ive got a lot of experience with salvage vehicles. I am just about to get a salvage s2000 out of the shop this week. Needed the frame straightned a bit (most do that have been in a good wreck), front bumper, headlights, both fenders, right side suspension and a lot of little stuff. I usually replace body moulding with my favorite kit or aftermarket parts. Cost is pretty similar to OEM and i get to customize my look. My rims took a beating as well so i went aftermarket with those. I have the Veilside front bumper and rear (no sideskirts) paid a little more for them bt thought it was worth it and i needed a new air filter and box so i just bought an AEM cold air.
If you have a good mechanic and get the car for a good price, there is no damage that cant be fixed and fixed well. Just know what needs to be done before you buy it so you get an idea of what itll cost you. Always remember there will be little things taht come up along the way that cost you money (new bolt, broken cap, etc..) so be prepared for that.

the one i bought is a 2002 with 42k miles on it... with new headlights, fenders, front and rear bumper, right side suspension, airbags, intake, etc...its cost me $7500. I still need to get it painted and there is always something weve missed that will come into play later. I expected to pay $8500 total and i think ill come out just under that.

Last edited by hshiznit; 05-24-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Resident Vigilante

You know what I find interesting about the salvage thing is who is it that sells a body kit that requires S2000 headlights? Because I am willing to bet along with seats that get stolen and end up in P.O.S. riced out Integras and Civics those headlights 9 times out of 10 are stolen. Do you think the Mfg. of said body kits would continue to do so if they were told you must keep detailed records of who you sell these things too to aid law enforcement in tracking down the stolen Headlights and S2000 seats. Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Just for the record... mine werent stolen, they were crushed in the accident
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Resident Vigilante

Congratulations! ... you must be the 1 out of 10
Originally Posted by hshiznit View Post
Just for the record... mine werent stolen, they were crushed in the accident