All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Sold it, now to track it...

Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Sold it, now to track it...

The Miata, that is. Was really tired of fighting with it all of the time. So Chaz, you're off the hook for helping to create a new exhaust for it.

I have been putting together a list of everything I am going to need to do to get the 2004 S2000 back out on the track safely. I would like to hear what ya'll think about these ideas, and if there is anything I am missing.

Oh yeah, I am 6'4", 185 lbs. I don't pass the "broomstick" test.

Harddog Roll Bar with the removable diagonal and harness bar. What I would really like is a roll bar that can be removed and installed in ~10 minutes. I have not seen this yet, but I can always design one.

Some harness. Maybe a seat. Not sure yet if I want to be swapping seats at the track. No research done on this yet.

Hitch for a trailer. Harddog again? It seems like there was one made that was not visible when installed, but I can't remember the make.

Wheels. 6ULR 10" rear, 9" front.

Tires. Was real impressed with the Nitto's on the Miata. Even when they were 3 years old and had ~100 heat cycles in them they kept getting better. Should I look into something else?

Brakes. I liked the Carbotech on the Miata. Why should I switch? Will create front cooling ducts for it. I will be switching pads and rotors before the events.

Tein lowering springs. A full suspension change is not in the budget this year. Is bump steer going to be an issue on the AP2?

This car has been Vortech supercharged for the last 5 years. The stock clutch is starting to give up on it. I am looking at the SOS clutch with a lighter flywheel. Opinions?

I am worried about heat soak on track with the A/W IC. Should I go with a bigger water radiator for this system, or is there an A/A IC available?

Is there anything else I need to look into to increase safety and/or reliability?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Suzuka FTW

Glad your hanging on to the S satisaii. Cant help you on any of your questions because im not a track *****, but good luck with it.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM

So I'm off the hook with the miata, but what about the S2K? What mods do you have other than the SC? Do you plan on driving it on the street?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 PM

LOL dude, this thread is about modding the S for track duty.

If I were to buy the material, how would you feel about making a rollbar? I have some ideas about making one that is easy to install and remove just for the occasional trackday. It may be possible to modify the Harddog one to the way I want it.

And it will remain my daily driver.

Answered one of my questions. Ultimate Racing makes an A/A intercooler for the Vortech S/C.

I have now spent all of the money from the sale of the Miata on S2000 mods. And I need more.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM

What size tubing do you want to get? I can only bend 1 1/2"- 3" also let me know how thick it is so I can see if the bender can handle it. Do you have any pics of the Harddog roll bar?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 AM

I have seen enough pictures to be ok with having one in the car full time. They have a nice cover for it, too. I would go for one with a removable diagonal and harness bar.

http://www.bethania-garage.com/s2000.htm

I have ordered the wheels and the clutch bits. I am trying to decide if I really want to do the clutch install to save a bit of $$$. It looks to be a PITA!

I have been looking for a used race seat. I wish I had kept the ones out of the Miata.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:58 PM

That's a nice set up, so what do you want to improve on?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM

I wanted on that could be installed the day before an event, and then removed. But I found some from Japan that I liked more and bought one yesterday.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM

We need pics! How is the install?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM

I don't think I will have it for 5 weeks. I am hoping the instructions will be in English.