Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

Go Back   S2000 Forums > Technical > Interior / Audio / Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the S2000 Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
S2k Noob.

Hard wire new cigarette lighter power port? Where?

Hey all. I need to know where is the best place to patch in an additional cig lighter/power port under the dash.

I am leaving my stock radio as is for now on my 2005 S2k. I added a Sirius receiver under the dash on the passenger side. It works great. I have intially been using the FM modulator, which is okay, but not great. So I have purchased the Blitz AUX-in interface, which is now half way installed. If figured while I am there, I will hard wire the power as well, so I can free up my regular cig lighter power port for my cell phone charger, etc.

So it appears that with these new Sirius radios, they have this "Power Connect" feature, where there is some technology in the power plug. I dont know if I need it or not, but Sirius recommends to use it, and the installers I talked to said that they just hard wire in another cigarette lighter power port under the dash for the sirius. I am okay with this. I have purchased the required hard wire cig lighter power port kit.

So the question is, where is the best place to tap into for the hot and the ground? I want to use the quick splice connectors if possible. And I dont want to take apart any more of my dash than I have to. My radio is half way out right now, so I have access to whatever is behind there for the next couple of hours.

Thanks in advance for your help.
BradWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

The fuse block has extra taps so you don't need to splice any wires.

Click the image to open in full size.

Ground can be added to the bolt for the hood release.

Last edited by TTMartin; 03-19-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
S2k Noob.

Cool. Thanks. Now I just have to find the fuse block.

Any good grounding spots on the passenger side or behind the radio?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

i wired an additional cig lighter in my secret compartment so my phone could charge and be out of the way i just ran wires from the stock cig lighter
Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #5

I used the constant supply to feed these two sockets mounted into the lower dasy panel to be able to have short feeds to my Nuvi 1390T and Cell Phone.

Click the image to open in full size.

Red & Tan Fan
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
S2k Noob.

Thanks guys, those are great ideas. I ended up buying a whole new stereo head unit. After installing the Aux-in adapter, I realized how easy it was to replace the head unit. So I purchased a new JVC system with front and rear Aux inputs, as well as a USB controller for the iPod and thumb drives. I am glad I did. It sounds much better. And provides much needed functionlity that I have in my other vehicles, such as playing MP3 CD's, etc.

I wired the new cig socket into the wiring harness I made for the new stereo, which worked out really great. I plugged my Satellite reciever's power adapter into the new cig socket, taped it up with electrical tape, and tucked it up under the dash. I now have a great clean install.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 AM
S2000
Honda S2000

Paid Advertisement

Tags
auxiliary, cig, cigarette, connector, dash, free, hardwire, lighter, mount, mounted, power, s2000, sirius, socket, tips, wire