Car won't start cranks over has spark fuel and timing is correct need help - S2000 Forums
Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #1

Car won't start cranks over has spark fuel and timing is correct need help

I have a 03 ap1 with 131k miles no leaks ran great until I got on the highway running in 5th about 4500 rpm rpm then down shifted to 3rd on accident and it went up to 8,000 rpm red lines at 9 after that happened the car sputtered out no wont start any help is appreciated checked all fuses seemed good one fuse on driver side box under the hood with no diagram a 50amp was blown so replaced it still doesn't start battery is good also
Brett B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Okay, you have an 03 AP1 with 131K miles on the clock. Runs well, no issues. You were driving in 5th at 4500 rpm and accidentally downshifted causing a mechanical over rev. Not sure how far: you said 8K rpm but mention 9K rpm. After the over rev the engine dies and will not start. You state you checked fuses and found one 50 amp fuse was blown but replacement did not fix the start problem. You don't believe the battery is a problem.
Good so far? When you state the car will not start do you mean to say the engine will not turn over at all or do you mean it will turn over but only cranks with out firing?

Most of the time a mechanical over rev that you described will cause the valve retainer to crack, the valves could drop to the combustion chamber and hit the piston. Then valves may be bent or broken, valve seats damaged, valve guide twisted and you can see these metals when you start taking it apart. It may be just a head issue but if stuff dropped into the cylinders you are talking about an engine replacement.

I think best case scenario is to have a new cylinder head, worst is to replace the whole engine...think positive, it's time to have a newer engine isn't it?
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
THE STIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
Most of the time a mechanical over rev that you described will cause the valve retainer to crack, the valves could drop to the combustion chamber and hit the piston. Then valves may be bent or broken, valve seats damaged, valve guide twisted and you can see these metals when you start taking it apart. It may be just a head issue but if stuff dropped into the cylinders you are talking about an engine replacement.

I think best case scenario is to have a new cylinder head, worst is to replace the whole engine...think positive, it's time to have a newer engine isn't it?

I thought of this right away. For OP's case I hope not but it doesn't sound good.....
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
normal aspiration

i agree that it sounds like a mechanical over-rev, but...

how does a down shift from 5th gear at 4500 rpm to 3rd gear, unintentional or intentional, cause an over-rev? the down shift to 3rd should should only take the tach to 6500-7000 rpm with plenty of safe space left on the rev counter. maybe it was a downshift to 1st, but that is extremely hard to do, even for a tyro. a downshift to 2nd would be pushing it but i believe that it might be possible without a mechanical over-rev.

i think something else happened here.

131,000 on the ODO is just getting broken in good.

OP says the tach went to 8,000 and that the engine red lines at 9,000.

downshifting from 5th to 3rd is a no-no for the transmission but that should not affect the engine.

at 8,000 rpm the AP1 is cookin' but far from exceeding its capabilities.

more factual information is needed to help OP with his problem.

bb
bbcricketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post

more factual information is needed to help OP with his problem.

bb
Just dealing with the cards that you were dealt with!:hard:

Might be a troll.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Car won't start

The engine cranks over but will not start has fire on all plugs, checked compression yesterday all read different 1st one is 30 2nd one is 20ish 3rd 120 4th one is 50 could it have dropped a vale or lost some compression and need head work done now but it never went in the red after the accidental down shift ? Timing is still spot on timing chain is not to loose haven't checked the bottom end yet
Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
EYECELLEM

The 03 AP1 has a 9000 rpm redline, unlike the 04 to 09 AP2 with the 8100 rpm redline. But, based on your explanation it's possible you exceeded the maximum engine speed and never saw it on the tach. So, bent valve, etc...
Glenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Car won't start

I was thinking maybe that but I also blew air in each cylinder and some air came through the number 1 cylinder and some air came out of the number 2 cylinder which shouldn't happen, maybe time for new Pistons and rings and vales plus springs I don't mind rebuilding it but I'm trying to stay around 5,000 in parts or if I can replace the Pistons and rings and vales cam seems good and timing chain is not worn out or the teeth
Old 07-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Many have gone down this road and found it is cheaper and a time saver to purchase a good used engine than rebuild the destroyed engine. They are out there.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #10

Car won't start

Okay I dug deeper and found that the retaining valves on the inlet side are all cracked which I'm told may not let them open and close properly I am going to change the valves to ap2 vales hopefully this fixes my issue
Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #11
THE STIG

Good luck! Hope it works for you!
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
normal aspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett B View Post
Okay I dug deeper and found that the retaining valves on the inlet side are all cracked which I'm told may not let them open and close properly. I am going to change the valves to ap2 valves hopefully this fixes my issue
valve retainers.

i was traveling in 5th gear yesterday and intentionally shifted to 3rd, tach bumped up to about 6500 and i cruised off into the sunset.
bbcricketta is offline   Reply With Quote