Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

Go Back   S2000 Forums > Technical > All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

All Other Honda S2000 Related Discussions Share your knowledge, experience and info about Honda S2000

Welcome to the S2000 Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Philosopher

Ever wonder what a deer might do to your car? WARNING - GRAPHIC !!!!!!

140 lb doe, apparently it went in through the grill opening. Might justify lowering your car, but then you might get it in the windshield. Let's be careful out there.............

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Resident Curmudgeon

Wow!
Amen brother!
(N' it goes without sayin'att that Beemer'z considerably more beefy'n our li'l Stewie. In the peckin' order'a things, I'd say the only one's more vulnerable'n us r' the bikerz, but somehow . . . . that wouldn't be much consolation.)
Thanks Don,
Java

Rome is the mob. Conjure magic and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death and they will love him for it.

Last edited by Java Junky; 04-20-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
normal aspiration

no offense dj or jagg.

that's a fur coat and ketchup, or a photoshopper. hail, jagg's deer looker better than that.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Owner

He must have been going at least 80-90mph if not more. I hit 1 going 35mph in my accord and it just bounced off to the side. I was lucky. Living in the boonies sucks. I've hit 2 in the past year while going under the speed limit.
D1sclaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
no offense dj or jagg.

that's a fur coat and ketchup, or a photoshopper. hail, jagg's deer looker better than that.
I think there might be a little photoshop at play here as well. That's just really hard to believe.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
I think there might be a little photoshop at play here as well. That's just really hard to believe.

That is hard to beleive, I know......the deer was on a motor bike without a helmet.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Resident Vigilante

Wow! "Bambi Bashing" in a BMW will really ruin your whole day.
s2kx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
no offense dj or jagg.

Unfortunately for the car owner (and the deer), it's not a photoshopper. There were about 5 or 6 more pics of it that showed more detail but I thought it might not be best to post all of the pieces and parts.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Resident Curmudgeon

Not to belabor the point, but Don'z brought out something that we could all use a little remindin'uv: reality.

Rome is the mob. Conjure magic and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death and they will love him for it.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Philosopher

WOW! I thought a deer was bad. You know that it probably didn't go well for the folks that tangled with that moose. And here I am worrying about being pooped on by a crow.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Resident Curmudgeon

I had seen flicks of one with a stray horse. I was lookin' fer that when I came across the moose flicks.
Our deer n' moose flicks're pikerz compared ta the horse one.
If I find it again I'll post it.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to s2000isu
Driving home from my gf's at night I always worry about deer. Java will know what im talking about its by new hope. Anyways last night I had a run in not with a deer but a posum. Thing was hugeeeeeeeeeeeee I am sure it dented up my exhaust cause I hit the thing going 50 mph.

2001 Vortech SC
12.8 at 111 miles per hour

s2000isu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Wisdom begins in wonder.

wow, I have only hit one deer. It turned out alot better for me and the deer than these pics. I was doin 45 and a dear ran out and hit my truck right in the tire/rim dont know which there was no marks. After stopping and locating the doe, I found it to be just knocked clean out. I was planning on getting some nice back straps but after slappin the deer around for a moment she woke up and ran off.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Resident Curmudgeon

I know I ain't tellin' nobody nothin' when I say that you've if you've got any time at all, you've got nanoseconds to make a call. In most cases with smaller animals it's better to just take them out without trying any avoidance maneuvers, especially if your speed is exceptionally high, as the maneuver will likely save the critter but possibly cost you your license to continue breathing as things get out of shape real quick at high speed.
If there's the utopian acres of clear spin-out room . . but we all know how often that happens.
By the time they're in our lights they're so close that only blind luck and a serious change of course is going to prevent impact. That serious change of course is gonna eat up the distance between you and the edge of your lane faster than your approach to your sudden target. Pulling it back from that impending off-road excursion'll be as severe a course-change as the original one. Not a promising outcome to those kind of maneuvers at speed, even in something as balanced as Stewie.
'Best bet is to just pull it down as hard as you can, but keep it straight. If the animal saw you comin' and you stay straight, you're still in the same place that hopefully he ain't gonna wannabee. If you go right or left, you've got a 50% chance of picking his selected escape route.
Good luck to all'a us, every one.
Java
Oh . . n' this ain't somethin' tha'cher gonnadoo when the time comes without havin' practiced it at safe opportunities.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2002S2K View Post
.......but after slappin the deer around for a moment she woke up and ran off.
Good thing nobody got THAT on video, Youtube for sure!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7DzH16Xgo

See bambi fly.....................
Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #17
Wisdom begins in wonder.

lol, wow. Yea that deer got owned 4 sure.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #18

I live in deer Heaven....5 zillion close calls and only one real impact, (at 25 mph...and man, I've grazed a few)
But today.....I ran this hideous beast over in the driveway.........Lucky to have survived, I was.

jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
Philosopher

Wow, count your blessings. That thing could've flipped your car over.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
cone destroyer

you might want to seek consoling after that close call
4406pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #21
Resident Curmudgeon

'Ain't godda lodda big critter'z such'z'att down here in Joisey. Izz'att one'a them eight legged beerz?
'Splainz all'a rumorz'uv'em chasin' down small carz n' pullin' the occupantz oud'uv'em n' devourin'em.
You were jus' lucky me bucko. 'Looks like he'd recently eaten.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
Resident Curmudgeon

This is the one that let'z ya see, real-time, how quick it happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YIB...eature=related

Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #23
Philosopher

It amazes me that a tiny little animal like a ground squirrel, that probably has a brain the size of a pea, is smart enough to not run in front of a car. But a deer, that I think has a much larger brain, is just oblivious to a 2 ton mass of steel rushing towards him. (and yet they seem so alert during hunting season)
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 AM   #24
Resident Curmudgeon

Groun' squirrelz don't favor the dark.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #25
needs to graduate

I used to work in Cincinnati and had to drive east to Peebles about once a week very early in the morning and had many close calls with deer. It seems that even when they see you they try to run away from the car by going straight along the road instead of just steping out of the way. I was lucky to never hit one, but i did run over a turtle.
makopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #26
Resident Curmudgeon

Yearz back I'd set up the Ol' Camino with a set'a top'a-the-line Cibies because'a my wantin' ta have'z much warnin'z possible with wildlife wanderin' into my path at night.
All they did wuz give me a lastin' impression'a the look on some poor racoon'z face as he turned road-pizza.
The best lights out there punch'a fair hole in'a dark straight ahead, but it's oud'a the immediacy'a the sides'a that tunnel that *@&# happenz.
Night drivin' at speed relies very heavily on good luck.
Java

Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #27
Banned for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
Agreed. There would be much more damage to the front end than that..

Mods: 18" Axis Reverbs w/Black Rays Lugs, Invidia N1 Exhaust, CAI, ACT Stage 2 Clutch, JDM Side Markers, Clear Corners, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, Spoon Pads, Spoon Steel Brake Lines, Spoon Reservoir Socks, Ricks Vodoo ****, Custom Stitched Hand Made Convertible Top w/ Glass Window, JDM Aero Screen, Body Matching Dash & Shift Molding Panels, Polished Valve Cover and CAI, Engine Steel Braided Wire Kit & S2000 Caliper Vinyls..
dezignpro04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #28
Resident Curmudgeon

Yep.
'Think ol' Don'z pullin' our communal chain.
'S'pro'lly jus' ShotoFopp.
('Soundz like a case fer back-up shotz if ever I heard it Don.)

Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #29
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Yep.
'Think ol' Don'z pullin' our communal chain.
'S'pro'lly jus' ShotoFopp.
('Soundz like a case fer back-up shotz if ever I heard it Don.)
Ok, ok, I didn't wanna do this, especially before breakfast, but for you skeptics...........

Scenario 1 - My neighbor and I staged the whole thing. He smashed in the front of his BMW with a sledge hammer and I slaughtered a stray dog with a machete and shoved it in there just so we could fool you. We laughed and laughed. Boy, that was fun.........good times......good times.

Scenario 2 - Bambi and Bimmer met at 140 miles per hour. And in case you're confused, no, deer can't run that fast.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #30
needs to graduate

very appeticing

I was eating breakfast in front of the computer.
makopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #31
Resident Curmudgeon

Well'att settles it!
It's obviously a clever ruse makin' use'a Shotofopp!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #32

Nice pics.....cut me off a hunk fer breakfast.....Who's got some eggs?

(looks like a real carcass to me......small deer. The hide doesn't look like the whitetail we've got locally....but I notice the tag ain't from around these parts)

jagg
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #33
Philosopher

Well, if nothing else, it'll teach ya that if ya install a cold air intake, ya better have a good filter.

Ever have venison on the grill?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #34
Resident Curmudgeon

Damn nice'a ya Don.
Aaaaay gang!
We're goin'da Don'z fer venison on'a grille.
Damn nice'a ya Don.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #35

I'm sorry but that is just soooo hard to believe. I mean at that speed the deer would to just be abliterated all over the road not neatly tucked up in the engine. Just not feelin it.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #36
normal aspiration

Red face

let us suppose that the animal remains are real, that there is no photoshop in effect, and that the car was traveling at 100 miles per hour+.

i have made vehicular contact with a whitetail doe at 65 miles per hour. it happened very quickly. there was not a nanosecond of time to react. i saw the reflection of an eye just prior to impact; and it did not matter as there way no where to go. it crumpled the hood and fender and did some damage to the side of the gmc sonoma i was driving. it broke the grill but in no way did the carcass try to enter the engine compartment. the deer was crumpled as well, and flung to the side of the road. i would estimate the size of my deer at 100 pounds.

it is my opinion that if the bwm had hit an animal weighing 140 pounds at 100+ that there would have been much more damage done to the car; extensive damage. notice that the headlights are intact. if this event occurred as portrayed, and if the creature had been that large, there would have had to have been a larger entry point, and there would have been much more remains inside the engine bay.

it is my belief that it is a much smaller animal: a large dog or a smaller deer. there is just not 140 pounds of flesh and bone and fur inside the engine compartment. and to add to the confusion, at that speed anything could have happened.

i'll have one of them venison steaks well done.

and who drives 140 in deer territory? it is bad enough to drive 60. i have hit one at 10 miles per hour in the dark with no moon, trying to avoid contact. stupid deer.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #37

See I think that bb hit the nail on the head. Bottom line is....... it's just to neat.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #38
Resident Curmudgeon

Dunno Beeb . . an animal at full-tilt gets pretty aero, n' given what those pictures show, it appears that the animal was stretched n', though the oddz're staggerin', impacted into the weak area of the grille n' jus' funnelled on through.
High-speed impact'll have you sayin' "No way!" more often'n not.
(Usually jus' 'a'fore ya lose the bedder part'uv yer last 2 meals ou'cher pie-hole.)
Java

Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #39
normal aspiration

not saying that it didn't happen.

i have seen several auto accidents, pedestrian accidents--i am by no means an expert. i have seen cars damaged by hitting deer.

for this car to have hit a deer weighing 140 pounds at 140 miles per hour, there is minimal damage to the car. i have seen cars that hit humans that sustained more damage, and at lower speed.

i think it was at a lesser speed and the animal was smaller than described.

it just does not look like 140 pounds of gore in the bay either.

perhaps someone could produce the police report?

i've thought about it. i'm done thinking about.

Last edited by bbcricketta; 04-23-2008 at 08:24 AM.
bbcricketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #40

Get me cape lads..........I'm with Don on this one. Looks like a small deer, maybe when it saw the beamer it was kissing its a$$ goodbye..............whammmmmmmmm
Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 PM
S2000
Honda S2000

Paid Advertisement

Tags
140, 140miles, car, compartment, cover, deer, engine, graphic, hit, hour, impact, impacted, miles, s2000, valve